+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 75 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

I went to TJs today and they did NOT have the swiss cheese croissants! The gal at checkout hadn't seen them at all.
    As a substitute I got some of the half-baked ciabatta rolls with some sliced ham and swiss cheese so I can make a little sandwich to eat with some salad tonight for dinner. Not nearly as good as those croissants would be, but also not quite as bad for me!

I also didn't see any candy cane jojos ice cream in the freezer section.

Darn! I know this is the first time I've seen the Swiss cheese croissants, so maybe they're not everywhere yet. Or maybe they're just regional

I wonder if they're just not doing the ice cream this year. That would be a shame because it's really yummy.

I had the Palak Paneer and some more naan for dinner last night and it was really good. The paneer and spinach are so rich though, that I think next time, I'd have it over rice.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

HEY EVERYONE I see this is a very active thread.

I have a question for all of you. Do you all really like TJ's better than WHOLE FOODS or SPROUTS (which used to be Henry's)?

I have TJ's on every corner here in the OC where I live but I don't think they hold up to WF or Sprouts, JMHO.

Why do you go here over WF/Sprouts because maybe I am missing something?

What are your TOP choices when you go to TJ's?

Thanks allot.
    KAREN

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

On the news last night they said that Trader Joe's had another recall. Some kind of butter chicken with basmati rice. Not too long ago they had a large recall with their peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    HEY EVERYONE I see this is a very active thread.

I have a question for all of you. Do you all really like TJ's better than WHOLE FOODS or SPROUTS (which used to be Henry's)?

I have TJ's on every corner here in the OC where I live but I don't think they hold up to WF or Sprouts, JMHO.

Why do you go here over WF/Sprouts because maybe I am missing something?

What are your TOP choices when you go to TJ's?

Thanks allot.
    I don't shop at Whole Paycheck because it's too freaking expensive. $18 for a chicken? Please (and I totally didn't make up that price). TJ's has great food at reasonable prices. I've never been impressed with WF. Too expensive for the quality. We don't have Sprouts here, so I can't comment.

ETA: Re: the butter chicken recall - from what I've read, it was a voluntary recall because there was a possibility of Listeria contamination. There weren't any confirmed cases of anyone getting sick from eating it, but they recalled the product to be sure.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Where I shop, there is a Whole Foods right next door to TJ's. If I can't find something specific at TJ's like brussels sprouts on the stalk, I'll check at WF, but it is way more expensive. Actually, it's like comparing apples to oranges. WF has a much larger produce section, and more of everything in general, but my local grocery store is usually sufficient for my needs at a much lower price. TJ's has specific foods that aren't sold anywhere else, like their curried chicken salad, garlic naan, frozen roasted corn, sesame covered almonds, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't shop at Whole Paycheck because it's too freaking expensive. $18 for a chicken? Please (and I totally didn't make up that price). TJ's has great food at reasonable prices. I've never been impressed with WF. Too expensive for the quality. We don't have Sprouts here, so I can't comment.

ETA: Re: the butter chicken recall - from what I've read, it was a voluntary recall because there was a possibility of Listeria contamination. There weren't any confirmed cases of anyone getting sick from eating it, but they recalled the product to be sure.
    I know! I had never been in Whole Foods before until a few weeks ago. I was so shocked at the prices. It was mainly just a sight seeing trip and I didn't purchase anything. Just too expensive. I used to shop at Kroger until Publix built a store near by. Now I shop at Publix, nicer, cleaner store, the produce is fantastic, meat department is great and much to my dismay, the bakery and deli are great.
    My next sight seeing trip will be to a Trader Joe's. I love to grocery shop, take my time and look at everything. I'm making a list of everyone's recommendations. There is not a TJ's near me so I plan on taking an ice chest (or two ) I know I won't come out of there empty handed. Maybe an empty pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I know! I had never been in Whole Foods before until a few weeks ago. I was so shocked at the prices. It was mainly just a sight seeing trip and I didn't purchase anything. Just too expensive. I used to shop at Kroger until Publix built a store near by. Now I shop at Publix, nicer, cleaner store, the produce is fantastic, meat department is great and much to my dismay, the bakery and deli are great.
    My next sight seeing trip will be to a Trader Joe's. I love to grocery shop, take my time and look at everything. I'm making a list of everyone's recommendations. There is not a TJ's near me so I plan on taking an ice chest (or two ) I know I won't come out of there empty handed. Maybe an empty pocketbook.
    The thing about TJ's, at least for me, is that I can feed myself for quite a while on not much money. Of course, if you buy all pre-packaged food, it does get pricey, as it does at the grocery store, even though I think TJ's has better prices. Their prices on staples are terrific. I think their pasta is still around $.70/lb and even their brown rice pasta is less than $2/lb. I love a bowl of cereal from time to time, but it's so expensive at the grocery store that I don't buy cereal too often. TJ's has their own version of Cheerios for $1.99 and it's not a small box. Tastes just the same to me.

TJ's isn't as big as a regular grocery store, but I think they cram a helluva lot into their stores. I always joke that, if they carried my brands of kitty litter and toilet paper, I wouldn't ever need to go to the grocery store! The other thing I love about TJ's is that everyone just seems happy there - that's employees and customers, alike. It's unusual that I run into someone at TJ's who's rude and grumpy. I do hate that one of our TJ's has a parking lot the size of a postage stamp, but I've never had to leave without shopping. It just takes a little patience.

When I was in college, I lived in a town with no TJ's. It was horrible. I grew up in SoCal, where TJ's began, so I hardly remember a time when I didn't shop there. I don't think I'd move anywhere that didn't have one.
    Last edited by Critical; 12-08-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    Ellen and inthegarden like this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

We have both TJ's and Whole Foods within walking distance in our neighborhood. We shop TJ's because it's cheaper than our local chain supermarkets and the quality of the food is much, much better. Because our local TJ's has more limited shelf space we cannot buy things like flour, condiments, baking spices, sugar, butter, salt, etc. there, we still go to the supermarket weekly. But we definitely save money with meal planning shopping at TJ's.

TJ's is also my favorite place to go when I have impromptu entertaining to do, or when I need a bring-along hostess present. The staff there helps me choose wonderful cheeses, hors d'oeuvres and dessert bites. The staff there is really informative and enthusiastic in helping me choose the elements of a menu for a small gathering or for a special bring-along gift.

Whole Foods doesn't begin to compare pricewise to TJ's for our weekly meal planning, nor for the special occasion shopping we do.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thanks everyone for weighing in here with your thoughts or reasons for shopping at TJ's! I find TJ's way too small! Walk in WF or Sprouts or even Mother's Market (which we also have here in the OC) and they all are huge stores!

I love all the "loose" items that WF and Sprouts has ..... I have never noticed TJ's carrying loose items. You know like granola, oatmeal, almonds, even candy! Really the only thing I buy at TJ's is "Two Buck Chuck" because my DH loves it!

The bakery at WF's is amazing! I have trouble finding the tea I like but it's always at WF's ..... "P&G Tips"! It's from the UK and they always carry it! I like buying the soaps that both WF and Mother's Market carries!

Thanks again, everyone!
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread