+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

FORT Fogey

Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Thank you, my friend! I'll look into that! I am definitely in the wanting-to-learn stage right now.
    Another thing I forgot to mention and don't know if they're still on paper in the stores. They used to have lists of foods to meet specific dietary needs: low-sodium, lot fat, gluten free, etc. These might also be on the website. One time one of the clerks saw me buying the no-sodium bread, asked me why, and proceeded to walk me through the store and point out the low-sodium products, some of which I was not aware of.

BTW when you get in the store, check out the great greeting card selection for only 99 cents!!

I have a feeling you're going to love TJs.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Made this TJ dessert recipe as a take-along to a barbecue. Easy and mouth watering. Big hit!

1 stick TJ's Unsalted Butter
    2 TJ's Eggs
    1 box TJ's Truffle Brownie Mix
    1/4 cup TJ's Dried Tart Montmorency Cherries
    1/4 cup TJ's Walnut Halves and Pieces
    1 box TJ's Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Preheat the oven to 350. Bring the butter to room temperature and combine the eggs with the butter and whisk/ mix. Slowly add in the brownie mix. Once the mixture is uniform, add in the cherries and walnuts; set aside. Lightly grease a brownie pan and place the chunks of cookie dough sporadically around the bottom of the pan (there may be a few pieces of cookie dough left, do with them what you must). Pour the brownie mix over the top, evenly coating the cookie dough. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. Enjoy!
    Serves: 10
    Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

Trader Joe's
    luvsginger likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh my, that looks scrumptious, Poppy Fields!

I can now report that, although the Guilt Free Mac and Cheese is fairly tasty, it bears only a passing resemblance to the picture on the box....the pasta is the same shape, but that's about it. I guess if they put a picture of what it actually looks like on the box, no one would buy it! It really tastes a lot like similar products from Lean Cuisine and Weight Watchers.

I also tried the rice noodle soup with mushrooms (just add water) and it was okay. It was a little too bland for me. In contrast, World Market sells a similar product that is Vietnamese Pho and it is delicious. I could eat it every day. Plus, it has about 70 fewer calories than the TJ's product.

I'm still loving the frozen Indian food. I got two boxes of the Chicken Tikka Masala because I liked it so much last time.

I have to say, TJ's prepared food section is less appealing now. They've gotten rid of so many products that I loved and replaced them with things I don't. Plus, their salads just don't do it for me They do keep changing products, so I'm hopeful that this will turn around.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    I am in love! (again, lol) I tried the Mango Chili ice floes this weekend and they were so darn good. Cold, sweet, and spicy hot all at the same time. I'm hoping they will be available for the rest of the summer.
    Those look so good. I've had the dried chili mangoes and love those. The Mango Chili Floes (along with the classic lime) are on my list as soon as my bad tooth gets crowned!

Re: the guilt-free mac and cheese:
    It's okay for a "quickie," but I like my own healthy mac-and-cheese recipe better. And if I make it stovetop and skip the baking step, it's good for summer in my "sans A/C" apartment.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I envy you being that close! There is not one Trader Joes in the entire state of Florida! I would LOVE to have one even an hour or more away!

Hysterical!
    After reading this thread forever, I was so excited when we got a Trader Joes. I have been exactly three times. It's out of the way for me and , quite honestly was only inpressed by the wine and cheese. Nothing else was worth the traffic and extra 40 min. round trip. I haven't been in about 5 months now.
    I found it to be overrated and I was underwhelmed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm looking forward to being underwhelmed. I don't want to drive across town on a regular basis, should I be impressed!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm looking forward to being underwhelmed. I don't want to drive across town on a regular basis, should I be impressed!
    shay, you do know that shopping at Trader Joe's is optional, right? The Trader Joe's food police won't come to your door and make you try a sample of dried mangos with chile or baked sweet potato fries.
    luvsginger likes this.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Warning! I like to try new things and got the Green Papaya Salad in the frozen section. It was delicious right up until the last bite when I crunched something hard (thought I broke a tooth) and suddenly my mouth was in searing pain from some kind of spicy pepper. It was not even mildly hot up to that point. I drank milk, I ate ice cream, I couldn't get the pain to go away. I finally just had to wait it out. I'll NEVER get that again!
    Wait...there's Green Papaya Salad now!

*adds that to grocery list*

I love spicy things! Or...was that spicy thing NOT supposed to be in there?
    luvsginger likes this.

FORT Fogey

For any of you who are forced to eat a very low sodium diet, like I am, Trader Joe's has discontinued their sodium-free bread until the fall. For me, it is going to make breakfast a big PIA. If anyone knows a market or store which has this type of bread in the Baltimore suburbs, please PM me. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread