+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ...I think that, sometimes, they lose a distributor and it has nothing to do with sales figures. ...
    That's what my wine lady told me. They'll lose a distributor -- sometimes as a going-out-of-business thing, other times because the distributor/manufacturer will no longer cut a deal.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I always figured that was one of the reasons, but the official party line is always low sales.

The other thing they do is mess with the original product to "improve" it. I used to love the roasted beet salad with feta and baby greens and then they stopped carrying it. About 6 months later, there came the roasted beet and chicken salad with baby greens. Almost the same ingredients, but not as good. Sometimes, they can't leave well enough alone. I've also seen them replace an outside vendor's product with their own version if the product is very successful. Sometimes, it's about the same and sometimes it isn't.

I love TJ's warts and all, but I still wish they wouldn't keep discontinuing my favorite things!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I still love TJ's, but I'm with others in the discontinued products saga.
    And, it's not about low sales. It's distributor and whether or not they can get a good deal.
    My canneloni, cream of broccoli soup and Mud Pie were all discontinued. The Mud Pie was always a top seller. The Mud Pie got replaced by a TJ version for a short time and then, due to low sales, got cut again.
    They did bring back my dark chocolate raspberry jells; but through a different manufacturer. I already complained to the manager that, while I was pleased to see this, the quality of the new product was lacking.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ..I've also seen them replace an outside vendor's product with their own version if the product is very successful. Sometimes, it's about the same and sometimes it isn't. ...
    When it's the same, it's that they cut a deal with the same manufacturer for the same product, but with a TJ's label (Amy's Tomato Soup, Alba Shave Cream). Sometimes, if it's a popular item, but the manufacturer/vendor won't cut a deal, they'll look to a different manufacturer for something as close to the same as possible.

I agree about the beet salad -- the new one isn't as good. So I use their roasted baby beets if I don't want to heat up the apartment roasting my own, and then use TJ's ingredients to make my own, which is actually better, I think, than their old one.

I wish I had saved a cover from the gorgonzola spread I loved so much... to see if it was from another maufacturer. I'd buy it in bulk if I could. I'm pretty sure the 1.000 layer crackers were Trader Joe's brand, though.
    Count your blessings!

A few weeks ago we got some sliced bananas dipped in chocolate in the freezer section. They were like little slices of heaven!!!
    The last couple of times I have been there they have been missing. The woman I asked said they haven't been discontinued, but they have been out of stock for a while. I hope they come back soon, because I miss them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants View Post
    Ellen, your recipes (& your husbands) always look so good! I think I forgot to report back - I made your version of the butternut squash ravioli and sage brown butter sauce - soooooo good!! Thank you!
    We're so glad you like it! Hubby made it again tonight -- which we had with grilled (big!) portobello mushrooms and Honey Moon wine. Happy tummy!

I mostly buy meats at TJ's. But! they have the best selection of what we like to fool ourselves into thinking is healthy junk food Those rice and bean tortilla chips, oh yeah,...then there's all the chocolate covered everything. I think one of my favorite things though is the sweet potato fries. Those are the best thing ever. They are even better than you can get at a restaurant. Just put them on a bake sheet and bake for 20 minutes and they are great. Love Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's chocolate croissants...NUM! Just proof on a baking pan overnight and bake. I know they aren't healthy...but they are good just the same.

I do get annoyed that TJ's only carries puff pastry sheets during the holidays though. Spring/summer is a great time for fruit tarts. When heirloom tomatoes are at their peak, tomatoe, onion and goat cheese tarts are fabulous for snacking on while sitting on the deck with a glass of sauvignon blanc and looking out at the lake.

Our TJs (San Diego area) carry puff pastry sheets currently. I love using them for heirloom tomato tarts!

+ Reply to Thread