+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 75 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

TJ's gets expensive if you buy the bad stuff. I was in there today to pick up some cookies for a kids party, and the special Christmas-y varieties were all around $5 a box. If you are buying staples, you can really save some money.

I picked up a couple of holiday teas. So far I've just had the cinnamon/vanilla black tea but it's delicious! I would definitely recommend it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4121881;
    My TJ's is right across the street from a regular, large supermarket - Ralph's, owned by Kroger.
    TJ's prices beat Ralph's on just about everything. Fortunately, Ralph's has dropped their prices on certain items to be competitive with TJ's.
    I just wish that TJ's had a lot more of the basics that Ralph's carries, so I'd never have to set foot inside Ralph's again.
    I know what you mean! I wish TJ's had a butcher and a dairy department... and things like baking soda and baking spices. We always start our weekly grocery shopping at TJ's and sometimes it's our only stop. But the norm is that we still have to go to the supermarket a mile away. I find that shopping at TJ's defines out menus for the week, and saves us money.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4124567;
    I know what you mean! I wish TJ's had a butcher and a dairy department... and things like baking soda and baking spices. We always start our weekly grocery shopping at TJ's and sometimes it's our only stop. But the norm is that we still have to go to the supermarket a mile away. I find that shopping at TJ's defines out menus for the week, and saves us money.
    Same with us.
    You may want to check the spice shelf again -- they've added quite a bit to them in the stores in our area.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4124344;
    TJ's gets expensive if you buy the bad stuff. I was in there today to pick up some cookies for a kids party, and the special Christmas-y varieties were all around $5 a box. If you are buying staples, you can really save some money.

I picked up a couple of holiday teas. So far I've just had the cinnamon/vanilla black tea but it's delicious! I would definitely recommend it.
    That tea sounds fabulous! I'll have to put that on the list for my next TJ's trip. I saw it in the holiday guide and forgot to get some when I was there last time.

I had the Butter Chicken with Basmati for dinner tonight with some of the frozen naan. YUM! I can't believe how good that naan is.

I hardly ever get something at TJ's that I don't like, but I have to give the Brussels sprouts salad a thumbs down. The sprouts were just too bland to handle the cranberries, Mancheco cheese and honey dijon dressing. File that one under "things that seem like a good idea at the time."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I tried some new TJ items this week some good, some just OK.

Trader's Joe's Pumpkin Ice Cream - oh my god, so so good. I've had it with pie, waffles, vanilla cookies. It's is so delicious, if you like pumpkin you will love this ice cream.

Pie'd High Apple Pie - Just alright. The filling was good, but the crust was blah. It was thin and doughy at the same, very strange.

Ultimate Vanilla Wafers - So much vanilla goodness! Very light and crispy and just yummy with the pumpkin ice cream.

Trader Joe's Breakfast chicken sausage - Not spicy or savory enough, very blah.

Trader Joe's Texas Toast - Delicious with eggs over easy.

I also tried the toilet paper and tissues this week. The toilet paper is fine, but the tissue isn't soft enough imho. They are both very cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4124734;
    ...Trader's Joe's Pumpkin Ice Cream - oh my god, so so good. I've had it with pie, waffles, vanilla cookies. It's is so delicious, if you like pumpkin you will love this ice cream...
    Have you ever tried it with their pumpkin butter, warmed and drizzled on top?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4124567;
    That's odd - our TJ's has a huge dairy section... all across the back of the store. But it doesn't have a liquor permit, so no wine.
    Count your blessings!

I got a chance to check out our new TJ's last Friday! The hits so far:

- Chewy Egg Nog Cookies (Delicious)
    - Jalapeno Cheddar Pub Cheese on Social Snackers Crackers (This spread is a great replacement for one Target stopped carrying!)
    - Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Garlic Marinana (Yum! The tortellini is better than any I have ever bought before and the sauce is tasty and not too chunky)
    - Mild fresh (refrigerated) salsa (great flavor)
    - Black Bean and Chesse Taquitos (these were just okay, not as flavorful and spicy as I would like - they were pretty good with the salsa though!)
    - Vegetable Egg Rolls (I haven't eaten these but my vegetarian son loves them)
    - Chicken Pot Stickers (I also haven't eaten these but they are a hit with my husband)

I really wanted to try the Peppermint Saltwater Taffy but I forgot about it on my first visit and they were out today when I stopped on my way home. The crowds haven't been too bad. The parking lot is a bit small, so it always looks full but the store is big enough that when you get inside it really isn't that bad. The two times I have been there I haven't had to wait in line to check out. However, I have also made it a point to go at odd times to avoid the worst crowds! : )

So far - I realllllly like it. I already have a mental list of things I want to pick up next time!!

Thanks ClosetRTWatcher - We are finally going to finish our Christmas shopping tomorrow, so I'll be stopping in then. My husband is kind of a stick in the mud when it comes to any kind of new food, so I may just be window shopping the first time, then have to go back on my own.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4127853;
    Thanks ClosetRTWatcher - We are finally going to finish our Christmas shopping tomorrow, so I'll be stopping in then. My husband is kind of a stick in the mud when it comes to any kind of new food, so I may just be window shopping the first time, then have to go back on my own.
    Have a safe drive -- Hopefully you can at least pick up a couple of goodies!!

We tried the TJ's Cannolis and the Chicken Taquitos (which were eaten the fresh salsa, refried pinto beans, and sour cream). Yum!

+ Reply to Thread