+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 75 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;4121008;
    MRD - I just got the artichoke ravioli, but I haven't made it yet. I was going to make a parmesan lemon garlic sauce to go with it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

... bacon wrapped steak and scallop bites...
    Artichoke ravioli -- made a simple white wine/garlic/olive oil sauce, and then topped with parmesan shards. The ravioli has a delicate flavor, so a very light sauce goes well. (Actually, a drizzle of olive oil with some parmesan would probably be just fine.)

The bacon-wrapped steak bites -- we had them for dinner last night. 2 bites each, with a salad of spinach, beets, and blue cheese. Homemade dressing made with the sweet-hot mustard. And cabernet to drink.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fan

Ellen, I'm so happy you checked in! I LOVE your suggestions... artichoke ravioli is dinner tomorrow, I will definitely be taking your suggestion! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;4121493;
    Ellen, I'm so happy you checked in! I LOVE your suggestions... artichoke ravioli is dinner tomorrow, I will definitely be taking your suggestion! Thank you!
    You're welcome! And if you like wine with dinner, I have a couple of recommendations from their newer wines:
    Bay Moon Sauvignon Blanc
    Poet's Row Viognier
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Thanks Ellen. That's for dinner tonight. Had planned to make them earlier, but stuff came up.

I'm not going to be able to do the steak bites. I just cannot eat meat at all anymore. I am having way too many problems when I eat it now. Which is why the ravioli and risottos are going to be staples around here.

Kao, they served it hot too and it was WONDERFUL. I need to go back and buy some as I did not that night.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just got back from TJ's with the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's ice cream. I will report back when I'd had some. I also picked up some of the naan from the freezer section, along with a few of the frozen Indian meals. From the salad section, I got the new Brussels sprouts salad. I have high hopes!

I'm so proud of myself that I avoided all the cookies and candy. I'm trying hard to be good this season. I saw a pic of myself recently and was not happy about the weight gain. Those peppermint and chocolate confections they have are SO good, but I could eat a whole box in no time. The ice cream was a special case - how could I not try that?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I need to go when I don't have my husband and daughter along for the trip. She wants everything and he cringes everytime we put something in the cart. (I think he has physical pain when it comes to spending money. )

Because I wanted some of those Indian meals. It's a good thing it's not close. It was bad when I lived around the corner from Fresh Market and they are expensive. If I lived near TJ's, I'd really be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4121869;
    I need to go when I don't have my husband and daughter along for the trip. She wants everything and he cringes everytime we put something in the cart. (I think he has physical pain when it comes to spending money. )

Because I wanted some of those Indian meals. It's a good thing it's not close. It was bad when I lived around the corner from Fresh Market and they are expensive. If I lived near TJ's, I'd really be in trouble.
    Yeah, but you'd get a lot more for your money!

I know some people talk about how expensive TJ's is and I have to wonder if they shop there much or are lumping it in with Whole Foods. Some of the stuff isn't great for a family on a tight budget, true, but they have many things that are much cheaper than the grocery store. The dairy (which I think is far superior to most stuff in the grocery store) and most of the produce is cheaper. I got a bunch of bananas today for $1 - you can't beat that. For a single person, it's actually pretty affordable.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

My TJ's is right across the street from a regular, large supermarket - Ralph's, owned by Kroger.
    TJ's prices beat Ralph's on just about everything. Fortunately, Ralph's has dropped their prices on certain items to be competitive with TJ's.
    I just wish that TJ's had a lot more of the basics that Ralph's carries, so I'd never have to set foot inside Ralph's again.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4121881;
    My TJ's is right across the street from a regular, large supermarket - Ralph's, owned by Kroger.
    TJ's prices beat Ralph's on just about everything. Fortunately, Ralph's has dropped their prices on certain items to be competitive with TJ's.
    I just wish that TJ's had a lot more of the basics that Ralph's carries, so I'd never have to set foot inside Ralph's again.
    I often say that, if TJ's carried my brand of toilet paper and kitty litter, I'd never have to step foot inside the grocery store!

I forgot to mention, I bought my second box of Dutchess Grey tea today. This tea is SO good! It's Earl Grey, but with citrus added. The box smells like Froot Loops when you open it. It's delicious with a little milk and sugar. That, along with Zhena's Coconut Chai are going to keep me warm this winter!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4121871;
    Yeah, but you'd get a lot more for your money!

I know some people talk about how expensive TJ's is and I have to wonder if they shop there much or are lumping it in with Whole Foods. Some of the stuff isn't great for a family on a tight budget, true, but they have many things that are much cheaper than the grocery store. The dairy (which I think is far superior to most stuff in the grocery store) and most of the produce is cheaper. I got a bunch of bananas today for $1 - you can't beat that. For a single person, it's actually pretty affordable.
    Because it's cheaper, I would spend more. I can go into the Dollar Tree and drop $40 with no sweat.
    The other night we were doing that. "Oh let's get this, it's only $2.99" Well $70 later........
    We did think the produce was great and the cream cheese my daughter got was fabulous.
    I will be going back. But I could get in serious trouble in there, let me tell you. I am an impulse food shopper. That's why my husband does a lot of our grocery shopping as he sticks to a list and a budget and I don't.

That said, I was not thrilled with the artichoke ravioli. I made a light cream sauce with a hint of lemon and parm. The sauce was great. I didn't like the ravioli. I don't know why, I love all the stuff that was in it.

Tomorrow night is chicken mango sausages.

We had an indian thingy that was delicious. Samsosas (sp?) and the Dubliner cheese is almost gone. Irish butter is also fab and have been having tea and toast like I was the queen.
    We also got cheap bananas.
    The dried mango was really good. It wasn't crunchy, more like a fruit rollup texture, but delicious.

I will keep trying all the stuff and some of it will be hit or miss.

We got pumpkin pancake mix and will try that this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread