+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

I love the little bags of baby red potatoes-they're an easy thing to slice up and roast. For frozen things, I love the cheesecakes, the pie crust, the vegetarian egg rolls, and so forth. Non-frozen, I like the pita crisps in the cinnamon sugar and parmesan garlic. I also stock up on Luna bars as I like having one a day, and they're something that can get pretty pricey. The pomegranate limeade is good, too. They used to do wasabi cashews, but not anymore

That reminds me that my mum and I need to go to TJ's tomorrow.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Ok....my absolute favorite is the frozen Gnocchi in Gorgonzola sauce! It is to die for!!! It costs about $3 and it is very rich but a nice treat! It cooks up in a pan in about 7 minutes! The frozen gnocchi in red sauce and the mushroom risotto are very good, too.

I do tons of cooking with wine and I use their "two buck chuck" for all my recipes. Some of my recipes call for a entire bottle of red wine and the Cabernet Sav or Merlot is pretty good. I mean for $2, how can you go wrong?

If you need fiber in your diet, their fiber cakes have about 13 grams per muffin! Also, keep in mind almost all TJ's bread products have NO preservatives (tortillas included) so you have to refrigerate them or eat them quickly!

The chewable Vitamin C tablets are great. Do you have pets? My dogs love their biscuits that smell like gingerbread men. They also have PB flavored Joint and Hip support biscuits and they sell the glucosomine tablets for dogs for only $10 and they are $60 through my vet!

One last thing, the papparadelle pasta (dried pasta section) is really good!

Wow....you are going to have fun!!! Are you driving there and back in one day? Five hours each way? You should e-mail them to tell them that you are doing that....they would probably be very happy to hear that!
    Thanks for opening this thread!

FORT Newbie

Frozen Mac and Cheese-- THE BEST!!!! I second the Gorgonzola Gnocchi too. Easiest weeknight dinner ever.

ETA: Tart D'Alsace flatbread with Ham, carmelized onions and gruyere. FInd them in a green box with the frozen pizzas. They're super thin so we always cook 2 at a time.
    Last edited by chimichurri; 05-29-2009 at 10:10 PM.

I live 70 miles from my "local" Trader Joes so I bring a cooler and ice for the frozen items. Frozen items I like include their sweet potato fries, bbq chicken pizza, some rice dishes and many of the items mentioned by others. Oh yeah, and the argus beef patties.

I also like their sourdough bread, almonds, raw cashews that I roast in a skillet, oatmeal, dried unsweetened mangoes, and spices - pepper, cinnamon, mixes and rubs for grilling, all at a great price. They also carry good yogurt, other dried fruits and nuts, coffee and many deli foods that you could get for lunch! There are many interesting sauces and the lemon curd, oh my!

Have fun on your road trip!

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3474774;
    Non-food stuff:
    Nourish Spa and Tea Tree Tingle shampoos and conditioners -- no sulfates, less than five bucks. They're way better than the salon stuff.

French-style truffles (chocolate): No hydrogenated nor partially hydrogenated fats nor high-fructose corn syrups like their supermarket counterparts -- yet surprisingly, they cost less. And are delicious.
    So true! Their shampoos are wonderful. And those truffles...heaven.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I had the flatbread with truffles and wild mushrooms from the frozen section a few weeks ago - sheer heaven!

I like the frozen tortllini pesto bowl and the flash frozen green beans are a staple in my house. I swear by all of their dairy products, especially the non-fat yogurt and milk - SO much better than the grocery store. In the prepared refrigerated foods, I LOVE the carmelized onion and sausage pizza with cornmeal crust - it's to DIE for! Their chicken lasagna is also terrific, as are most of their salads.

I used to LOVE their little oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in the big tub. Pretty much all of their cookies are good.

I'd stock up on their olive oil and get a bottle of their balsamic vinegar too. I like their non-fat pasta sauce with mushrooms.

OH! I alsmot forgot my very favorite thing ever right now. I LURVE the Lentil Biyani Rice - it's in a packet that you microwave for 90 seconds and it's done. It's either by the soups and beans or by the rices - it's in two different places in the two TJ's in this city.

For all of you TJ's fans. Here's a link to the website of the women who wrote the cookbook called Cooking With All Things Trader Joe's:Trader Joe's recipes They have a blog where they post new recipes all the time and most of them are super easy and fast.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Let me just say I hate you all!

Not a TJ's in our state. I've never been to one. I'm jealous reading this thread. And I'm going to take my Fresh Market cookies and go sulk in bed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Speaking of flatbreads, I love the garlic one

Also stock up on Hansen's sodas-I love the pomegranate one (can you tell I love the pomegranates?).
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

My pick (I buy 3 or 4 when I go to the TJ 45 min. away) is the gorganzola spread with dried cranberries and walnuts. It is in the cold cheese section in a hard plastic container. Sometimes I really have to look for it, but trust me - you will want to hide it and eat it hunched over (with rice crackers - yummmm) looking over your shoulder. My other favorites are the frozen artichoke hearts... not pickled!! I hate pickled. These are just the best part of the artichoke cooked and frozen and ready to use in a recipe or straight up with butter. They have Scandinavian waffle cookies with a maple syrup tasting center that I thought you could only get in Europe. In our store it is overhead in the frozen section. I get their brazil nuts and keep them in my freezer. One or two of those a day (full of selenium) wards off depression, especially in the winter months. I used to stock up on kefir there (yogurt drink) but our local grocery store finally carries that. They have yummy pot stickers in the frozen section. It really depends what you like. Go overboard and try as much as you can afford and see what your favorites are. Then push for your state to get them! Oh! and dark chocolate bars with hazel nuts. OMG!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3474900;
    I had the flatbread with truffles and wild mushrooms from the frozen section a few weeks ago - sheer heaven!
    This line caused my plans for my errands today to be altered to include a stop at Trader Joes.

+ Reply to Thread