+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3646782;
    Are the eggplant cutlets refrigerated or frozen?
    frozen

I'm having TJ's multi-grain crackers with pate with mushrooms for dinner tonight. So rich and good.

Oh man, I'm going to have to make a TJ's run now.
    Count your blessings!

Okay, it's been a while since I added any input in this thread. TJ's food continues to be a part of my daily diet! I have a garden with loads of green beans, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, beets, basil and I did have lettuce so the food items I have been buying need to go with those vegetables.

I have been marinating the green beans in balsamic vinegar and rice vinegar from TJ's. I use the black pepper and lemon pepper from there as well in the marinade. I make pickled beets each week and found some good vinegar for that - Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar. And I finally had the Ground Buffalo Steak Burgers last night. I grilled them with the Steak and Chop Grill & Broil Spice mix and added some Cracked Pepper. I topped that with TJ's All Natural BBQ sauce. Mr. C and I thought they were fabulous!

Another food item that is good there is the cream cheese. I plan to use that with a big slice of one of my heirloom tomatoes and some bacon on an English Muffin tomorrow. Beautiful meal! Trader Joes is amazing. I guess you all know that as well

I picked up the eggplant cutlets on a recommendation and WOW, they are amazing. They will be what makes me take the trip back.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3648426;
    And I finally had the Ground Buffalo Steak Burgers last night. I grilled them with the Steak and Chop Grill & Broil Spice mix and added some Cracked Pepper. I topped that with TJ's All Natural BBQ sauce. Mr. C and I thought they were fabulous!
    I've had these my freezer and am finally going to try them tonight. Question: can you grill them directly from frozen? If so, do you have any idea how long/what temp? I always end up overcooking meat, and I know these shouldn't be cooked as long as beef because they are so lean. Any tips are appreciated!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I always enjoy reading this thread even though there aren't any Trader Joe's near me and I don't really even know what it is.

Is it just a store that carries all "Trader Joe" brand things or does it carry items from national companies as well?

Somebody said they bought Trader Joe's BBQ sauce. Can you also buy Heinz or something like that?
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3649222;
    I've had these my freezer and am finally going to try them tonight. Question: can you grill them directly from frozen? If so, do you have any idea how long/what temp? I always end up overcooking meat, and I know these shouldn't be cooked as long as beef because they are so lean. Any tips are appreciated!
    The Ground Buffalo Steak Burgers come in packages with two patties stuck together with paper in between - I did grill them from frozen but the hardest part was to pry them apart first. They seemed long and too thin in an oblong shape, but after cooking they shrank and plumped up to a good size for a burger. I used a meat thermometer while cooking and ended up with a somewhat rare patty. I was impatient and thought I had cooked it long enough. But it did not taste bad that way at all and I don't have any ill effects from what was probably about 150 degrees and more pink than should exist in the patty. I had cooked them on a lower setting which is recommended for buffalo.

Ground buffalo should be cooked slow and low. I am going to cook two more tonight and will make sure that the temp is between 155 and 160. If you are working without a thermometer this means that the pink should just be going away. I will also probably defrost in the refrigerator for an hour or two this time.

I hope you enjoy your meal!

Thanks for the tips, Cootie.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3649249;
    I always enjoy reading this thread even though there aren't any Trader Joe's near me and I don't really even know what it is.

Is it just a store that carries all "Trader Joe" brand things or does it carry items from national companies as well?

Somebody said they bought Trader Joe's BBQ sauce. Can you also buy Heinz or something like that?

Ashley, TJ carries a great deal of products in their own brand. They do carry other brands as well, but not many of the mainstream brands. I don't imagine you would find Heinz there. Most of the brands they carry are geared towards all natural/organic ingredients. It is an awesome chain. I hope you get one in your area soon. Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3649249;

Trader Joe's puts their name on quality products and sells them at a good price. The combination of healthy or interesting food and being affordable is the combo that attracts me. There are some other name brand items there but not Heinz catsup or BBQ sauce. In fact they have their own brand of catsup that is labeled organic. The BBQ sauce has pretty good ingredients, most of them are in the sauce that I make myself from time to time. They don't seem to use corn syrup like many of the other commercial brands. If you download their Fearless Flyer when it is available, you can read some interesting food descriptions that usually entice me to try something new. I have been shopping at TJ's since the 1970's - it is a fun store to share with your family and friends!

I made a trip today (45 min. away) and had the best time. I was armed with a list of recommendations from here and my favorites. I got buffalo burgers and French berry lemonade (delicious!), hibiscus cranberry juice, the bleu cheese/pecan spread (great combo!). I got 5 jars of sunflower seed butter so my daughter will have some to take to college with her. A woman I met in the first aisle saw me with a list and interesting things in my cart and she made me show her what-all I was getting. I explained about you guys here, and every aisle I saw her in, she made me stop and show her what else I had gotten. It was pretty funny. I got the eggplant cutlets, the teriake tofu, and the pate with mushrooms. Salmon with fillings, etc. I also got a few things I never tried before that haven't been mentioned here and will let you know if any of them are keepers. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! It's like a treasure hunt!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread