+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

I googled "hearts of palm" because it's not an ingredient I had seen before TJ's and it's not actually very ecologically correct. It is the heart of a young (wild) palm tree and you cut the whole tree down to get it, so a jar of 10 or 12 hearts (they are cylindrical) represents cutting down that many trees. So unless I hear otherwise, I don't think I'll be using them again.
    Count your blessings!

Trader Joe's is not known for selling items that would not kill or harm the environment. I would maybe go to their website and send them an email asking if they are indeed hearts of palms that come from trees that destroy the tree itself, or if they are harvested this way: "Peach palms are self-suckering and produce multiple stems,[1] up to 40 on one plant, so harvesting several stems from a plant is not so expensive because the plant can live on. Another advantage it has over other palms is that it has been selectively bred to eliminate the vicious thorns of its wild cousins. Since harvesting is still a labor intensive task, palm hearts are regarded as a delicacy."

I just can't believe that they would carry an item in which the entire tree has to die for the item to be produced. I have been going to this store since before I can even remember (I am almost 32) and they are just known for being so environmentally friendly.

**I just sent them an email asking about which method their heart of palms are cultivated by. If I hear anything back I will post an update.
    Last edited by kewtiebaby; 08-01-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Tried some other new things today! The sparkling French berry lemonade (sold in a liter bottle) is amazing. I downed a full one at the concert I was at; it's the perfect berry lemonade. It lost some sparkle due to the heat, but otherwise it was good. The teriyaki tofu cubes though, I need more of them. They have just the right amount of teriyaki marinade without being too overwhelming, and eaten cold they are great! I can't recommend the multigrain crackers enough-a big box for $1.69, we got two for the concert today and polished off a thing of the eggplant hummus and a thing of the tomato basil hummus.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Oh, those sound good, Trista. I'll put them on my list for next time. I tried a new cheese last time - Italian truffle cheese - but it had a rubbery consistancy with crackers. So I kind of forgot about it and when I found it again in the fridge, I made a grilled cheese sandwich with it... OMG. *drool*
    Count your blessings!

I read somewhere that there is now a type of palm that many heart of palm growers/manufacturers are starting to use where they don't have to cut down the entire tree.

I need to stock up on random things from TJ's. They have a chicken verde burrito that is yummy with cheese sprinkled on top and served with sour cream Just my type of lazy dinner
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Kao

Went back to TJ and got more of that delicious Pecan/Blue Cheese dip and tried the Triple Ginger crackers. YUM! It's like an...explosion of ginger in your mouth!

I asked about the possible discontinuation of the Lobster Ravioli at my location and they said that it was still available for order in their computer. Maybe it's regional? Either way I still grabbed three packs.

I just recieved an email from TJ's regarding the Heart of Palms.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We work directly with our
    suppliers and have assurance that their palm oil is harvested from
    sustainable farms and has no negative environmental impact on the palm
    forest or natural habitat. The harvest comes only from new side shoots
    of the palm and poses absolutely no risk of damage to the tree and no
    risk of deforestation to the region where palm is harvested.

Thanks for shopping at Trader Joe's!!
    Sincerely,
    Tiffany
    Trader Joes

I am not sure if what they call palm oil is the same thing, I am assuming not... so I will re-email them. My curiosity is peaked.

Thanks to everyone looking into the hearts of palm issue. I really liked them and would love to continue using them without a guilty conscience.
    Count your blessings!

I am addicted to Trader Joe's eggplant cutlets. They're just eggplant lightly breaded and you fry them in a pan to cook them. I don't even have to add any oil to the pan. The breading is so tasty and delicious. I like to eat them plain with just some parmesan cheese on top. Yummy! And they are so cheap too, only $2.49/box.

I bought the Trader Joe's Pad Thai, and I thought it was really good. My only complaint is that there was just barely enough sauce for the noodles. And when I ate the leftovers for lunch today the noodles sucked up most of the sauce and it was a little bland. It would have been nice to have a little extra sauce to add to my leftovers.

Are the eggplant cutlets refrigerated or frozen?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread