+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3568239;
    Has anyone tried the Buffalo (bison?) burgers at Trader Joe's yet? I've always wanted to try Buffalo meat, but I'd like to get some feedback first.
    They are really tastey - I love them.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I finally tried the black truffle flatbread...I wasn't that impressed...but maybe because my taste buds are not so refined? LOL...I tried the DiGiorno Wild Mushroom Flatbread which I thought was much better...

Regarding the Pad Thai in the box, I generally do not eat processed foods. Today I was at Trader Joes and they were giving away samples of the Southwestern Salad...31 grams of FAT and 580 calories!!!!! OMG!!! But the friend I was with did a smart thing, she bought a bag of salad greens and said she will mix that in and make several meals out of it. I have to admit...it was great...black beans, corn....yum!!!

DH made the truffle/mushroom flatbread on the grill this past weekend. It was great; the grilling really brought out the earthiness of the truffles so that we could really taste them.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Went back to TJ's today and got a lot of new things to try! Here's my verdicts:

Cranberry/hibiscus juice: It's really, really good! This is 100% juice, so no fillers here, and the hibiscus really gives an unusual edge to it. Cranberry juice, in its purest form, can be very tart, and the hibiscus gives a sweetness to it while retaining some tartness of the cranberries. I highly recommend it.

Eggplant hummus: I love hummus and crackers as a snack-it's a fairly low-calorie way to fill me up. This hummus is really nice because it's not overly lemon-y, and it's not overly garlic-y-it's got a mild flavour to it. I also got the roasted garlic one to try.

Multigrain crackers: I actually liked these with the hummus! They're great for dipping or garnishing, and I like how thin they are. They're very inexpensive-I think around $2 for the box.

I'm also trying the peanut satay in the box here soon...I got stocked up for the next few weeks! (also because my twerpy brother threw away all my food from the freezer except for two Boca burgers and my TJ's creme brulees...)
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I finally tried the buffalo burger, and it was delicious! I just seasoned it with a little salt and pepper, and melted a slice of parmesan cheese on top.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3534138;
    Been enjoying the frozen fruit bars, they come four to a box for $1.99. I have purchased all five flavors, lime, mango, strawberry, Caribbean and lime. The lime has about 60 calories and the Caribbean has the most at 120.
    Gosh we are having a major heat wave here in Seattle, these sound so good. May have to run there tomorrow and get some. Thanks for the idea.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

On a recent trip to TJ's they were handing out samples of a pasta dish with hearts of palm, lemon/pepper seasoning, and capers. I got the seasoning and hearts of palm and made it up at home - yum (not big on capers). Last night I had my last package of lobster ravioli with those two on top and a little parmesan. It was outstanding! (I sauteed cuts of the palm in a little butter and the seasoning).
    Count your blessings!

I've made a version of that pasta salad with hearts of palm, etc. after trying it at TJ's. I add artichoke hearts and either roasted red bell peppers or peppadews to mine. And most recently used orzo instead of tube-shaped pasta.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

what does hearts of palm taste like?

and what are peppadews?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Hearts of palm have a very mild, little bit nutty taste. They're sort of a blank slate to pick up the flavor of whatever you mix it with -- sort of like white poultry meat or tofu.
    A peppadew is a wonderful spicy-sweet fruit, a type of piquanté pepper, that looks like a cross between a cherry tomato and a red pepper. Some say it originated in Central America, others South Africa. It's a good ingredient for jazzing up a dish with a bit of color and a sweet-hot kick. (Though I also like just eating them out of the container.) I get them from the olive bar at my IGA grocery store if I can't find 'em at TJ's.

+ Reply to Thread