+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

I've found that *any* tamales I've ever gotten from anywhere -- even the Mexican Mexican restaurants (as opposed to gringo Mexican) -- are mostly masa. Which is okay if it's good masa with no lard. I've learned to expect not much filling. (Filling I can get from the tortilla-wrapped stuff.)

My favorite new TJ's find: Ginger Senbei Snacks -- sort of a cross between little crackers and cookies, texture similar to fortune cookies (but thinner), and just lightly sweet with a hint of ginger.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Have you ever had a Nicaraguan tamale? The masa is made from potatoes and they are much bigger than a Mexican tamale. The filling is chicken, white rice, an olive, slice of potato and a few other goodies...I think there was a prune in there as well...it is all wrapped up in banana leaf and steamed for at least an hour so that the rice and chicken are cooked thoroughly. They are quite delicious and quite filling and more like the size of a Mexican burrito would be.

Never been to a TJ, I have one about 1/4 mile from my house.

OMG - why not?
    Count your blessings!

Been enjoying the frozen fruit bars, they come four to a box for $1.99. I have purchased all five flavors, lime, mango, strawberry, Caribbean and lime. The lime has about 60 calories and the Caribbean has the most at 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3531293;
    I've found that *any* tamales I've ever gotten from anywhere -- even the Mexican Mexican restaurants (as opposed to gringo Mexican) -- are mostly masa. Which is okay if it's good masa with no lard. I've learned to expect not much filling. (Filling I can get from the tortilla-wrapped stuff.)
    I agree with this, as I eat home made authentic tamales from time to time, but the two that I purchased from TJ's were almost all masa -...like maybe a teaspoon full in one and a tablespoon full in the other? Seemed very skimpy.

Have you ever had a Nicaraguan tamale? The masa is made from potatoes and they are much bigger than a Mexican tamale. The filling is chicken, white rice, an olive, slice of potato and a few other goodies...I think there was a prune in there as well...it is all wrapped up in banana leaf and steamed for at least an hour so that the rice and chicken are cooked thoroughly. They are quite delicious and quite filling and more like the size of a Mexican burrito would be.
    Luvsginger, these sound pretty fabulous - haven't tried them.

I still like TJ's, but I do feel quality has gone down in some areas. That and the fact that they constantly discontinue so many of my favorite items are my 2 chief complaints about TJ's.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think they discontinue the items is because they are unable to acquire them at a low enough price so they can pass the savings on to us. I keep looking for the Black Truffle Flatbread that everyone raved about but haven't been able to find it. Is this one of the items that was disconnected? It is in the freezer section right?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3534185;
    I still like TJ's, but I do feel quality has gone down in some areas. That and the fact that they constantly discontinue so many of my favorite items are my 2 chief complaints about TJ's.
    I think they have some things on a seasonal basis - the gingerbread mix comes to mind and some of the coffee beans they get are hit and miss. I don't mind that, I think it just adds to the excitement of shopping there. They are constantly trying new things.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3534882;
    I think they discontinue the items is because they are unable to acquire them at a low enough price so they can pass the savings on to us. I keep looking for the Black Truffle Flatbread that everyone raved about but haven't been able to find it. Is this one of the items that was disconnected? It is in the freezer section right?
    I was at TJ's about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I saw the flatbread in the freezer case. I've not tried it. I expect you'll be able to find it, too.
    I'm sure they discontinue some items for that reason, but it has been items that they carried for many years and then suddenly, they're gone. They used to have the best desserts at TJ's; they're all gone now.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread