+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Trader Joe's

Re: Trader Joe's

Glad to hear you had a nice trip and it sounds like you "scored" big time! Keep us posted on the items that you try!
    Cootie - Sounds like your party was a huge success! Tetrazini is a yogurt based sauce made with dill that is used as a condiment in gyros (Greek lamb sandwich).
    Anyway, so happy to hear of both your successes!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3506488;
    Glad to hear you had a nice trip and it sounds like you "scored" big time! Keep us posted on the items that you try!
    Cootie - Sounds like your party was a huge success! Tetrazini is a yogurt based sauce made with dill that is used as a condiment in gyros (Greek lamb sandwich).
    Anyway, so happy to hear of both your successes!
    Thanks - that is what the sauce was - it had mint with it. I used it with chicken and put that into the endive - it worked well with what I served and was quick.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3506488;
    . . . Tetrazini is a yogurt based sauce made with dill that is used as a condiment in gyros . . .
    I think what you're describing is "tzatziki." We often make that as a go-with when we're cooking Greek, or other Mediterranean, dishes. Yum!

The only contexts in which I've seen "Tetrazzini" are in relation to the American-trying-to-be-Italian dishes made with poultry or seafood in a white sauce, or the opera star for whom this type of dish was named.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3506685;
    I think what you're describing is "tzatziki." We often make that as a go-with when we're cooking Greek, or other Mediterranean, dishes. Yum!

The only contexts in which I've seen "Tetrazzini" are in relation to the American-trying-to-be-Italian dishes made with poultry or seafood in a white sauce, or the opera star for whom this type of dish was named.
    You are absolutely correct Ellen! I read it wrong...my apologies! I know exactly what you are referring to, I have an excellent Turkey Tetrazzini dish that has nothing to do with yogurt or dill!!! That's what happens when you copy and paste instead of actually writing your words! Sorry about that Cootie and Ellen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3506685;

Yes, you got the name right and the sauce you both referred to would be excellent with Greek food - I didn't have the container with me when I wrote it and I think I inferred that I didn't know what it was exactly but that it worked very well in the appetizer I improvised using advice from Fort friends...thanks for the spelling and ingredients help, both of you! I have been suffering from end of the school year and party/graduation fatigue, does it show?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3508367;
    . . . I have been suffering from end of the school year and party/graduation fatigue, does it show?!!

Now would be a good time to crack open a nice adult beverage to have with whatever tzatziki and/or tetrazzini dish your heart desires!

One of the busiest intersections and areas in my city has a Ralph's Market that was recently remodeled into a super store. Unfortunately, the owners took it to mean that they should increase most of their prices. Rotiserried and/or barbequed chickens cost more in this store than they do at Whole Foods, Gelson's or Bristol Farms! Since this market is right by my gym, often times I stop there to pick up last minute items.
    Just found out that a Trader Joe's is going right next door to the Ralph's. Although I know the traffic will be worse than imaginable, I am glad as the competition will work to the consumer's benefit, especially in terms of pricing. And, one of my favorite things about TJ's is that they hire nice, customer service focused people. Ralph's has the worst checkers imaginable.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3508630 View Post
    One of the busiest intersections and areas in my city has a Ralph's Market that was recently remodeled into a super store. Unfortunately, the owners took it to mean that they should increase most of their prices. Rotiserried and/or barbequed chickens cost more in this store than they do at Whole Foods, Gelson's or Bristol Farms! Since this market is right by my gym, often times I stop there to pick up last minute items.
    Just found out that a Trader Joe's is going right next door to the Ralph's. Although I know the traffic will be worse than imaginable, I am glad as the competition will work to the consumer's benefit, especially in terms of pricing. And, one of my favorite things about TJ's is that they hire nice, customer service focused people. Ralph's has the worst checkers imaginable.
    Hah! Traffic? We TJ shoppers laugh @ traffic, bad hair days, sore feet.

I can't remember if I got the "recipe" here or at Trader Joe's but it is so good, I have to make sure everyone knows about it! The triple gingersnap cookies (so good, thank you Veruka for the heads up!) are simply amazing crushed up and sprinkled on vanilla ice cream with some caramel sauce. WOW. I wouldn't pulverize them as leaving them somewhat chunky keeps the occasional surprise chewy chunk of carmelized ginger intact.

We had some friends over last night and had the lemongrass sticks? rolls? (yum) the soy ginger carrots (yum yum yum) and the gingersnap sundaes. I'm so glad I bought two boxes of the lemongrass as they were fantastic. ETA we had other food too, but I have descended quickly to 'if it isn't trader joe's, it just doesn't matter...'
    Wag more, bark less

I like the pairing of lemon and ginger, so I also like to crumble the triple gingersnap cookies on lemon sorbet. Or try spreading the cookies with a little lemon curd or pumpkin butter.

+ Reply to Thread