+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Alcoholic beverages

Re: Alcoholic beverages

I am enjoying a strawberry lemonade - citrus vodka cocktail - I added more lemonade than strawberry so it is a bit tart. Lots of ice...

MRD

Cootie, how do you make it?

I got a lot of strawberries and I've never made a daquri using fresh strawberries before. Do I need to use a sweet and sour mix to go with the strawberries? It's going to be 98 here today and I thought frozen strawberrie daquries would just the ticket.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What kind of liquor goes in a daiquiri-rum? I love strawberry daiquiris! Is that even how it's spelled lol

Rum, lime juice and agave nectar or sugar syrup. Shake with ice. Serve in chilled glass OR

To make a pitcher of frozen daiquiris with this recipe, fill blender with ice. Add 16 oz of rum, the juice of 3 large limes and 5 to 6 oz. agave nectar or sugar syrup. Add ½ to 1 cup frozen strawberries or other fruit, if desired. Blend well, pour and serve in chilled glasses with lime wedge.

I'll be over later MRD..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3513354;
    What kind of liquor goes in a daiquiri-rum? I love strawberry daiquiris! Is that even how it's spelled lol

Rum, lime juice and agave nectar or sugar syrup. Shake with ice. Serve in chilled glass OR

To make a pitcher of frozen daiquiris with this recipe, fill blender with ice. Add 16 oz of rum, the juice of 3 large limes and 5 to 6 oz. agave nectar or sugar syrup. Add ½ to 1 cup frozen strawberries or other fruit, if desired. Blend well, pour and serve in chilled glasses with lime wedge.

I'll be over later MRD..
    Drinks and snacks around 5, Livin. (actually, I have to go to work this afternoon, so drinks will be much later than 5) Thanks for the recipe. Where do I get agave nectar? Do they sell it at the grocery store. I hate to say this, but I've never heard of it.

I just found this out, but it is not called a daiquiri unless it has rum. Only rum is used in daiquiris. Who knew?

We call all frozen drinks around this house "boat drinks" after an old, old, old, old Jimmy Buffett song.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3513375;
    . . . Where do I get agave nectar? Do they sell it at the grocery store. . .
    I get it at Trader Joe's, but I've also seen it at my run-of-the-mill grocery store. It's in the section with honey and maple syrup.

Agave nectar is particularly nice for those prone to hypoglycemia because it doesn't cause rapid blood sugar spikes and the resulting insuling spikes and the resulting blood sugar plunge with the resulting shakes, sweats, dizziness, etc. The taste is similar to mild honey, and it's completely natural.
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-20-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3514094;
    I get it at Trader Joe's, but I've also seen it at my run-of-the-mill grocery store. It's in the section with honey and maple syrup.

Agave nectar is particularly nice for those prone to hypoglycemia because it doesn't cause rapid blood sugar spikes and the resulting insuling spikes and the resulting blood sugar plunge with the resulting shakes, sweats, dizziness, etc. The taste is similar to mild honey, and it's completely natural.
    Ellen, thanks for that tip as I don't normally drink overly sweet drinks because of that. I was actually going to use splenda in the drinks because I didn't want to add anymore sugar.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 06-21-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3513329;
    Cootie, how do you make it?

I got a lot of strawberries and I've never made a daquri using fresh strawberries before. Do I need to use a sweet and sour mix to go with the strawberries? It's going to be 98 here today and I thought frozen strawberrie daquries would just the ticket.
    Sorry to have missed you yesterday - I was out of town. I hope you found something nice and cool to drink on that hot day! For the drink I had this week I used Trader Joe's Strawberry Lemonade and and I combined it with more lemonade to cut the strawberry sweetness. I have used lemonade with strawberries blended (not frozen and it works very well, too. There is some pulp that way but it doesn't hurt anything in my mind. Or it could be strained out? On the rocks with some lime or lemon slices would be good.

I mix raspberry vodka with regular orange juice for a twist on the screw driver. I would use the cherry rum with just club soda to give a sweeter take on the vodka / sodas I usually drink.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I don't think I've posted this before, but this drink is a hit with everyone I've made it for. Be cautioned--the recipe is enough for 4-6 people (at least) as you end up with 4 cups of liquid. This isn't an individual cocktail, but perfect for a group gathering.

Pomegranate Margaritas

1 cup of fresh lime juice (that's usually 8 small/medium limes for me)
    1 cup of tequila (I use Bacardi gold)
    1/4 cup triple sec
    1/4 cup sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup water (simple syrup...heat the water up a bit and the sugar will dissolve faster, but chill it down with a couple of ice cubes before mixing it in)
    1 to 1 1/2 cups of pomegranate juice (tempered to your level of sweetness...if Top Chef has taught us anything, it's taste before serving!)

Mix it all together and serve over lots of crushed ice. If it seems a tad (but not too much) strong when tasting pre-iced, it's perfect, because the ice balances it out. Plus, you know your bev is healthy, due to all the pomegranate juice!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3689926;
    ...Be cautioned--the recipe is enough for 4-6 people (at least) as you end up with 4 cups of liquid. This isn't an individual cocktail, but perfect for a group gathering.

Pomegranate Margaritas...
    What? I gotta share?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread