+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Alcoholic beverages

MRD

Re: Alcoholic beverages

And Grappa is like a distilled wine right?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yes, grappa is wine based. But the quality can be very distinct.

I personaly think Grappa tastes like rubbing alcohol. It's about 90-95% alcohol. It's a sipping drink.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3372751;
    My favourite drink is a Peruvian Pisco Sour.

Pisco Sour: (put all in a blender)

3 parts pisco
    2 parts jarabe de goma (sugar cane syrup)
    1 1/2 parts key lime juice (fresh)
    1 egg white
    ice

2 drops angostura on the foam at the top
    Oohh these are GOOD. I made a point of sampling them in various regions of Peru, haha.

And DesertRose-- in a Pisco Sour, pisco most definitely does not taste like rubbing alcohol. In fact, I found it easy to throw a few of them back, unlike grappa.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3371461;
    Hubby and I went to a Brazilian grille last night and I had this drink that was to die for. It's like limeade, but with a kick.

It's a Caipirinha and it's made with Cachaca, Brazlian rum. But the bartender (who I convinced to show me how to make one) said that any rum, even dark rum is good and tequila is also good.

It's like a mojito but without the mint.
    Rosie we have a Brazilian grill in Madison...Samba. One of my faves! We're going for my birthday this weekend. I've been looking forward to it for a month now My favorite is their mango mojito...but I think I'm gonna try this one. Sounds totally yum!!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3379225;
    Rosie we have a Brazilian grill in Madison...Samba. One of my faves! We're going for my birthday this weekend. I've been looking forward to it for a month now My favorite is their mango mojito...but I think I'm gonna try this one. Sounds totally yum!!
    Oh have fun. They had mango flavored ones too. But I have to say I'm hooked on the lime one.

I've always loved lime in stuff. I like limes more than lemons.

I like caiparihnas as well. I spent a month in Brazil studying when I was in undergrad and we would drink them all the time. They are much stronger and different in Brazil than the ones I've had here in the states. They are made with a sugar cane type rum, cachaça, in Brazil. Some of my fellow students and I went to buy some cachaça at the store in Brazil and the guy ringing us up told us that cachaça "makes the poor man feel rich." It is some potent stuff.

Flavored mojitos are also a favorite of mine. We have a bar here in town that makes coconut ones that are to die for. We actually were able to get the recipe out of them one night.

Coconut Mojito Recipe, Courtesy of Republic
    1 1/4 oz Malibu Rum
    3/4 oz Bacardi Limon
    1/2 oz Simple Syrup
    1/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
    Fresh Mint to taste
    Serve with Sugar Cane Swizzle Stick (This is a big piece of raw sugar cane to stir the drink up)

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3379611;
    I like caiparihnas as well. I spent a month in Brazil studying when I was in undergrad and we would drink them all the time. They are much stronger and different in Brazil than the ones I've had here in the states. They are made with a sugar cane type rum, cachaça, in Brazil. Some of my fellow students and I went to buy some cachaça at the store in Brazil and the guy ringing us up told us that cachaça "makes the poor man feel rich." It is some potent stuff.

Flavored mojitos are also a favorite of mine. We have a bar here in town that makes coconut ones that are to die for. We actually were able to get the recipe out of them one night.

1 1/4 oz Malibu Rum
    3/4 oz Bacardi Limon
    1/2 oz Simple Syrup
    1/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
    Fresh Mint to taste
    Serve with Sugar Cane Swizzle Stick (This is a big piece of raw sugar cane to stir the drink up)
    That sounds phenominal Yard!!! I will definitely be keeping that recipe handy for this summer. We go to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" out here, and they make a to die for pomegranite mojito. I am all about the mojito

ETA: Does this have any club soda in it, or just the Rum and syrup?
    Last edited by Katydyd; 03-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3379611;

1 1/4 oz Malibu Rum
    3/4 oz Bacardi Limon
    1/2 oz Simple Syrup
    1/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
    Fresh Mint to taste
    I had mine with cachaca. I think that's what walloped me in the head after only 2 drinks.

Our Cheeseburger in Paradise closed and I am so bummed because they had excellant mojitos and fried sweet potato chips

You all just wait until summer when the peaches are in and I'll post my most excellant Carolina Crush recipe. It packs a wallop too.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3379956;
    That sounds phenominal Yard!!! I will definitely be keeping that recipe handy for this summer. We go to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" out here, and they make a to die for pomegranite mojito. I am all about the mojito

ETA: Does this have any club soda in it, or just the Rum and syrup?
    Nope, it's just the rum and simple syrup, plus the mint (I love mint so I use lots). They are really good.

+ Reply to Thread