+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Just Soups

Just Soups

Not sure if this should be its own thread. If not, go ahead and move it. And sorry!

If it's a good idea for it's own thread, then I have some questions.

Are there certain vegetables that shouldn't go in Chicken Soup? I am making some this morning and started chopping away and putting in veggies and realized maybe cabbage and potatoes shouldn't be in chicken soup. In the "canned" soups, I only see carrots, celery and onions. I threw into mine, cabbage, mushrooms, potatoes and 2 types of squash along with onions and carrots. Any idea?

I like cabbage in Beef / Vegetable Soup. I thought it would be the same but not sure. Any ideas anyone?

MRD

Re: Just Soups

LOVE the thread idea. I am a huge soup lover.

I think if you like cabbage, put it in. There's no rule for soup in my opinion. I put all kinds of veggies in my chicken soup. whatever I may have on hand.

I put potatos and mushrooms in chicken soup. I've put in zucchini, grean beans, asparagus, carrots, lima beans, turnips, navy beans, etc. Maybe not all at the same time, but more of "hmm, what do I have that I can use?" type of thing.

It's what YOU like I think.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I love soup too. I pretty much always put whatever veggies are on hand into my chicken soup and I'll also add rice or small noodles.

Thanks! Sounds good mrd.

Bunny - I added noodles last - actually just to the bowls that I have ready for lunch and the other I put in the fridge. I think the warmth will "cook" the noodles. If not, they will be aldene.

I just tried it and it tastes wonderful!

Okay - I saw this new thread and have to share a recipe. This soup is considered Low carb, but everyone in my family LOVES it. I suppose if you are not doing a low carb diet, you could tweak the ingredients a bit to make it less fat. I have also substituted chicken breast and broth in place of the beef and it is equally as tastey.

CREAMY SOUTHWESTERN TACO SOUP
    1 pound ground beef
    2 3/4 ounces onion, chopped, 1/2 cup
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    2 10-ounce cans Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained (tomatoes with green chilies)
    2 cans beef broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

In a large soup pot, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic; drain. Add the spices and cook a couple minutes. Drop the cream cheese in bits into the meat. With the back of a big spoon, smash it into the meat until no bits of white remain. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.

I agree with myrosiedog. There are no rules for soup! My mom says that growing up(she was one of ten children), my grandmother would clean out the fridge at the end of the week. Whatever was leftover went into a pot of soup.

I also add the cooked rice or pasta to individual bowls rather than to the pot. It tends to soak up too much broth of the soup otherwise and becomes too mushy....for my liking anyway.

ETA: Ana, that sounds easy. I think I may try it with chicken this weekend.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

That does sound delicious, Ana. I was thinking about making taco soup this weekend -- I use a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of ranch seasoning in mine. But I may combine that with yours. I'd bet you could use low-fat cream cheese and I think they sell low-fat whipping cream (is that different from heavy cream?) to make it lower in fat.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I think you are correct Lucy. Whipping cream is the same as heavy cream (well, at least it is here in Michigan).
    The only complaint my family has, is that I never make enough. The eat this with nacho chips instead of crackers.
    It is really easy to make and is done in about 10-15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3317789;

I also add the cooked rice or pasta to individual bowls rather than to the pot. It tends to soak up too much broth of the soup otherwise and becomes too mushy....for my liking anyway.
    That's the way we've always done it as well and top the whole thing off with grated cheese. Yum.

Ana I think that soup will be a must-try here this week-end. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3317953;
    That does sound delicious, Ana. I was thinking about making taco soup this weekend -- I use a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of ranch seasoning in mine. But I may combine that with yours. I'd bet you could use low-fat cream cheese and I think they sell low-fat whipping cream (is that different from heavy cream?) to make it lower in fat.
    I think you could just forgo cream altogether and use milk. I like the sound of that recipe and I think I'll make it when I have a chance, but I'll just use 1% milk. I notice it only calls for a 1/2 cup of the cream so hopefully it won't make too much of a difference in the consistency.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast