+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Crafts

MRD

Re: Holiday Crafts

MShell those candle holders sound beautiful. I wish I could have one, but it would melt too. Not as quickly as those Bama girls' would, but it still would.

However, it's given me an idea for using it as a container for shrimp cocktail for a party.
    I would stick with just cranberries and other edibles, place in a bowl and put the shrimp inside the ice "bowl".

OK, I'm ready for the Margarita and beading party. If you knew my past, you'd know not to be the first one to pass out as you'll end up with the beads glued on you!

i agree, I want to see photos of everyone's crafts. Especially of the ice candles. I would imaging that is so pretty when it's lit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll;3248074;
    I make really cute Christmas outdoor candle holders out of ice with cranberries, acorns and bits of pine tree. They will last all winter if the temp stays down.

You just need an empty gallon pail and a smaller container, the taller yogurt ones work really well, but you really could use anything (its works best if the container tapers down though).
    -Fill the gallon pain with a couple inches of water and arrange some of the cranberries, acorns and pine bits (you could really add anything) inside the water so that you have a nice mix
    -Put it in the freezer (or outside) until its solid
    -Place the smaller container in the centre and weight it down with something
    -Add a couple more inches of water and some more bits of stuff around the small container and freeze
    -Keep doing this until your container is almost full (doing a lot of water at once will cause stuff to float up to the top and will end up looking layered)
    -Pop the ice out of the containers, put in a candle and you've got a cute candle holder for your porch!

I've made them for lots of friends and family and they all really liked them. Its pretty simple but when the candle is glowing through everything it looks really pretty.
    I love the idea for the candles. And it certainly gets cold enough here.... it's 3 below this morning. *brrrrrr*

On a side note. the dog in your avatar reminds me of my Trinity. Here's her pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, the melting wasn't ever a problem in Saskatchewan! Even here in Calgary it gets cold enough to have them around for a while. I haven't made any yet this year, but when (and if) I do I will surely post a picture, I might be able to find an older picture to post if I don't make any. Its my first year living in an appartment building so I don't have a front porch to 'display' them on any more.
    MRD - Thats a great idea for the shrip bowl!! You could even freeze a few shrimp in there, I bet that would look pretty cute. ...and if any of your guests have a bit too much to drink it will be fun watching them try to pick one up!
    Lil Bit - Trinity is gorgeous!!! I'm missing my Rocko, she moved back to Sask. with my ex this summer, but pretty excited to see her at Christmas!

I was looking for some craft projects today and came across these ornaments made from recycled Christmas cards. I've seen these before and they look like fun to make. Judgeing from the comments they're real popular. I thought ya'll might enjoy them.
    Christmas Crafts: Recycled Christmas Card Ornaments
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3249025;
    I was looking for some craft projects today and came across these ornaments made from recycled Christmas cards. I've seen these before and they look like fun to make. Judgeing from the comments they're real popular. I thought ya'll might enjoy them.
    Christmas Crafts: Recycled Christmas Card Ornaments
    Oh my gosh, did seeing that take me back. I can remember making those in grade school. The kind we made were a much larger version that you would hang in a doorway like mistletoe.
    CYA

Those are very cute. They also remind me of those giant balls that you make out of little plastic cups with the strand of lights in them. Same concept.

Count me in (no pun intended) as another cross stitcher. I have several ornaments that I've made this year. I have to sit down and put them all together this weekend.. then will post pictures. This below will also be a Christmas gift; I made for my sister to give to a friend that is struggling with Breast Cancer.

Broadway - I love that pillow. It's beautiful!

thank you, LilBit!

MRD

Broadway that is beautiful.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That is wonderful Broadway! I wish I could cross-stitch. I used to when I was a teenager, my grandmother and I would sit and have coffee while we worked. My hands are so bad now I couldn't hold a needle for more than 2 minutes if my life depended on it!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast