+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Holiday Decorating Ideas

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Holiday Decorating Ideas

Love your wreaths, nennie. We have some very talented members here at FoRT.

Thanks Ladies.
    Punkin likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

nennie, I love your wreaths! I have dozens of Christmas ornaments, but I'm pretty much the only one who wants to decorate for Christmas. (My husband's favorite part is sitting in his chair, reading his email and "supervising". Ugh.)

Last year, I got a really small tree (about 3' tall) and decorated it with some of the ornaments my son had made over the years. I'm probably going to do the same thing again this year. It ends up in the front window :-) But with the wreath idea, I might have found something to do with my other ornaments.

Thank you!

Several years ago I decided to go all out decorating for the holiday. I had some lighted mechanical deer, lighted wire trees, icicles from the roof and whatnot. But best of all, I had found a place online that sold lights of all kinds and I found 7w teal lights to match the trim on my house and put them all along the roofline with the icicles. (I mean, anyone can have green lights. But only I had teal!) In January I got a note from the homeowner's association with a $25 check congratulating me for third place in the house decorating contest. What! There's a contest?? And, What! I only placed third?? Even with my damned teal lights! Well, I knew how to fix that. The next year I went on a campaign. More animals! More trees! More whatnot! And, YaY! I won First Place with a check for $100! My husband reminded we spent about $300 for all the 'mores'. Some people just don't get it. (Of course, I'll admit he had to do most of the work as I was busy being creative designer and director.)

After that we really toned it down (since I couldn't win first place again and had no room to store all those damned animals and whatnot). I gave most of the stuff to my kids for their houses. Now I just put lights on some rose bushes and have a few snowmen here and there, but my favorite decoration is one DH and I made ourselves. I found two perfect Snow People at Ross for about $8 each and we made a platform for them to sit on a porch railing. With an $18 lighted tree from Big Lots and a spotlight to light it at night I'm just as happy. Plus, I really shouldn't be sending DH up on a peaked roof to put up lighting, what with his bad disks and all. He's happy too.

earringd 122019 011.jpg

Love the wreath idea, nennie!
    A real tree of any ornament-supporting size is a pain in the heinie for our little apartment. And a fake tree? Where TF do we store it for the other 11 months of the year?
    THANK YOU!!!
    (...enthusiasm because of some treasured pieces doomed to a box for many years...)
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I remember when wall trees used to be popular. I haven't seen one in a long time. But that might be an idea for you Ellen. I know how you feel about your treasured pieces being doomed to the box. Since I decided to do the blue and white tree I don't have anything to hang all of my 'specials' on.

I just googled imaged 'wall Christmas trees' and there are some crazy beautiful ones on there. Gives me good ideas for next year.
    Ellen likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Several years ago I decided to go all out decorating for the holiday. I had some lighted mechanical deer, lighted wire trees, icicles from the roof and whatnot. But best of all, I had found a place online that sold lights of all kinds and I found 7w teal lights to match the trim on my house and put them all along the roofline with the icicles. (I mean, anyone can have green lights. But only I had teal!) In January I got a note from the homeowner's association with a $25 check congratulating me for third place in the house decorating contest. What! There's a contest?? And, What! I only placed third?? Even with my damned teal lights! Well, I knew how to fix that. The next year I went on a campaign. More animals! More trees! More whatnot! And, YaY! I won First Place with a check for $100! My husband reminded we spent about $300 for all the 'mores'. Some people just don't get it. (Of course, I'll admit he had to do most of the work as I was busy being creative designer and director.)

After that we really toned it down (since I couldn't win first place again and had no room to store all those damned animals and whatnot). I gave most of the stuff to my kids for their houses. Now I just put lights on some rose bushes and have a few snowmen here and there, but my favorite decoration is one DH and I made ourselves. I found two perfect Snow People at Ross for about $8 each and we made a platform for them to sit on a porch railing. With an $18 lighted tree from Big Lots and a spotlight to light it at night I'm just as happy. Plus, I really shouldn't be sending DH up on a peaked roof to put up lighting, what with his bad disks and all. He's happy too.

Attachment 29561
    That is really cute. My husband does the outside and he was mad because I didn't buy anything new for him to put up this year.
    Punkin likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I love buy decorations after Christmas when they are marked down to nothing. Then I put them up for the year. When I get my decorations out the next year it feels like Christmas came early. Same thing if people give me decorations as gifts and I don't have time to put them out that year. I am constantly pulling something out and saying, "Oh that's cute. I wonder where I got it."
    Punkin and nennie like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Punkin! I get it! I love your snow couple and tree!
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456