+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Holiday Decorating Ideas

Re: Holiday Decorating Ideas

Cornholio, I've admired those wreath stands, but could never imagine how I'd use one. I love your idea of a real wreath on the entry table - bet the smell is great.

Critical, if you haven't already tracked down a tree for you kitchen, I was cruising walmart dot com this morning and noticed a little inexpensive tree - black with red lights (!). The site showed it in stock at many stores in my area, so maybe you might find the same in your area. (And if you are one who does not shop that store, as I know it can be controversial, just forget I mentioned it. )

I'm having trouble feeling festive this year... have pulled out the boxes of decorations and looked inside them, but that's about it. I think this weekend the kids will help me decorate and that should get me into the spirit.
    remember to play

If you want to make your own "colored" tree, it's easy to do with "floral spray"--I know Michael's carries it, in its own section with the other spray paints. It's designed for either dried flowers, artificial flowers or greenery, or you can even use it on "live" material. Comes in lots of colors, and one can is more than enough to do a small tree or a couple of wreaths. And it lasts for years. I always save dried hydrangea blossoms to use with magnolia on the mantle, and use a bit each of a blue and a gray-green spray to "brighten" them.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I got my outside lights up early this yr, just after Thanksgiving. I am doing a snowman theme. I have these snowman stakes I got from Target last year up in front of a 3 ft popup Merry Brite christmas Tree in front of my living room windows. I have a 3 ft tall snowman stake and a another set of snowman stakes lining the front porch. I also got some tin Smowman sways from HomeGoods hanging from my garage door lights and porch light.

Inside I put up 2 3.5' lighted topiary trees I had and decorated one in white poinsettas, glass bead garlands, gold flowers, and dragonflies. This one is in my family room. In my living room I decorated the topiary with gold leave garlands, and gold jeweled pears and apples, with a few gold butterflies and little gold birds. I also used some burgundy toned jeweled grapes.

I also cleaned up mydining room, removed the tablecloth, rearranged some of my plants and put up 2 wreaths and voila, a festive house. Only now I have to take all the boxes back down to the basement.

I haven't done both the inside and outside in a long time and it feels good to celebrate the season but not go too overboard.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3762697;
    My kitchen is red, black and white, so I'd love to find a little white or black tree to put in there! This is my second year having a real tree (this year it was a 4-5 foot Douglas Fir instead of a 6-7 footer!) and I love it. Plus, I really don't any place to store an artificial one. I do think those funky-colored ones are so much fun. If I could find a little white or black one (like, 1-2 feet) for a good price, I'd get it. I know someone who had a bright blue tree she decorated with white and hot pink ornaments. It was so cool!
    I sent you a link to a couple of black trees on Ebay. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Thanks, Bunny! I'll take a look!

Critical, if you haven't already tracked down a tree for you kitchen, I was cruising walmart dot com this morning and noticed a little inexpensive tree - black with red lights (!). The site showed it in stock at many stores in my area, so maybe you might find the same in your area. (And if you are one who does not shop that store, as I know it can be controversial, just forget I mentioned it. )
    Nah, I'm too poor to have a stance against Wally World (I also had a bumper sticker during the election that said "Too poor to vote Republican! ). I don't shop there much though, because I tend to go a little crazy. I looked on their website and all of the stores in my area were sold out of those trees. I have to go to JoAnn's tomorrow, so maybe they'll have something. I think a black or red one would stand out more, but even a white one that I could put black balls and red bows on would be cool....or red balls and black ribbon....or toile ribbon, which would really go with my decor.
    Last edited by Critical; 12-09-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3764873;
    Thanks, Bunny! I'll take a look!

Nah, I'm too poor to have a stance against Wally World (I also had a bumper sticker during the election that said "Too poor to vote Republican! ). I don't shop there much though, because I tend to go a little crazy. I looked on their website and all of the stores in my area were sold out of those trees. I have to go to JoAnn's tomorrow, so maybe they'll have something. I think a black or red one would stand out more, but even a white one that I could put black balls and red bows on would be cool....or red balls and black ribbon....or toile ribbon, which would really go with my decor.
    I sent you a couple of links to black trees on Ebay.....did you get them?

I always decorate the bannister with garlands and tiny battery operated lights from Michaels. Then I put stuffed Christmas toys and Santas we've collected over the years on the stairs. It looks very festive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3764893;
    I sent you a couple of links to black trees on Ebay.....did you get them?
    I did. Thank you
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Okay, I have a little outdoor decorating idea/tip - those of you who put up outdoor lights probably already know this trick, but it was new to me so I wanted to share...
    We hung icicle lights this year, and hubby plugged them into the eave lights by using socket to outlet adapters (kind of like this). It looks so tidy, and I can control the lights just by flipping the switch inside.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3766416;
    Okay, I have a little outdoor decorating idea/tip - those of you who put up outdoor lights probably already know this trick, but it was new to me so I wanted to share...
    We hung icicle lights this year, and hubby plugged them into the eave lights by using socket to outlet adapters (kind of like this). It looks so tidy, and I can control the lights just by flipping the switch inside.
    It's new to me too coltnlasma. Very cool. I always wondered where people with outside lights plugged them in. We have one strand of outdoor lights on the stair rail and had to run an extension cord out the window to do so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast