+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I've been checking out the Pioneer Woman's Thanksgiving recipes and I think I'm going to try her make-ahead mashed potatoes since my usual recipe is ok but we could use a change this year.

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond
    CYA

Wow, Bunny! Those look FANTASTIC!!! I might have to give it a try. If you want a more traditional recipe, I used the following last year and they came out GREAT!!! (I skipped the olive oil)
    Velvety Mashed Potatoes Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Ah she uses SO MUCH BUTTER and cream cheese too? They do look yummy though. Giada de "check out my boob job" Laurentiis used parm cheese and mozerella cheese in her t-day mashed potatos. I'm a traditionalist or purist when it come to my t-day potatoes. I'll leave out the cream cheese and assorted cheeses. Tyler's recipe looks more to my taste.

Thanks for the info MRD. If I see some chestnuts I'll buy some. Alton said to roast them at 350 for about 30 min. (after cutting an X in the top)

Can everyone tell I've been watching a lot of food network.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

We are definitely traditionalists when it comes to the Turkey, but we like to mix up the sides every once in a while. We still use the same components just in a different way. Last year we tried pumpkin rolls instead of tradional dinner rolls and loved them so those will probably make an encore appearance this year.
    CYA

Bunny,

Thanks for posting that Pioneer Woman recipe. I may have to try those. I'm in charge of potatoes this year (as well as dessert) and was thinking of bringing the scalloped potatoes I made a few years ago with gruyere and red pepper flakes to my sister's house but I love mashed potatoes and I think this will solve the transportation/work space problem.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Newbie

Oh my! That mashed potato recipe looks delicious. I always screw up mashed potatoes so maybe I'll give Pioneer Woman's method a try.

Mariner - the gruyere scalloped potatoes recipe sounds really good. Do you have a recipe? If it's already on the recipe thread, I apologize. I haven't searched yet.

Fried turkey - the only drawback is the lack of juices for gravy. Because my cousin has been frying turkeys for the last few years (and because I'm in charge of gravy), it means I always have to roast a bird at home before Thanksgiving just for gravy drippings. The nice thing is it makes gravy making less stressful since I can make it before the turkey is done and let it simmer.

Who has really good stuffing recipes (that don't require in-bird cooking)?

My mom makes a mashed potato recipe that you make ahead, it's very similar to the PW's. It doesn't have all the butter on the top and it's really yummy when it comes out of the oven.

I agree on fried turkey, they are delicious and not at all like other fried food you think of. We don't do one at Thanksgiving because we all love stuffing, but they make the juiciest turkey ever.

I'm so excited about Thanksgiving next week. I think some of that excitement is about getting 4 days off from school and going to NC to visit my nieces.

I love reading Pioneer Woman's recipes, but they are way too fat and calorie-laden.

Here is my mashed potato recipe. I always make it the day before, and it's really tasty. It's a trade-off with the butter in this recipe, though, as it has both cream cheese and sour cream! It doesn't need any additional milk--as in half-and-half, so that's a plus.

Make-Ahead Whipped Potatoes

10 large potatoes (Yukon Gold are the best), cooked
    1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    ¼ c. butter (half a stick)
    2 T dried minced onion (I use a good sprinkle of onion powder instead)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Paprika
    2 T melted butter (to drizzle on top)

In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add cream cheese, sour cream, ¼ cup butter and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and drizzle the melted butter over the top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 minutes longer.

If potatoes are made ahead and refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.

Thanks SV. That looks a tad less scary for my arteries.

I think the scalloped potato recipe is in the old recipe thread but I'll find it and post it in Just Recipes.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Newbie

I did a few searches for the scalloped potato recipe in the locked Recipe thread, but couldn't find it.

+ Reply to Thread