+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3234366;
    That's interesting about turkey on Christmas, I never grew up eating turkey on Christmas. My mom's side of the family, who we always celebrate with on Christmas, is Italian, so we always have had lasagna on Christmas.
    My Mom was Italian as well and we never had Turkey for Christmas either. We'd have home-made ravioli in soup on Christmas eve and usually ham or crown roast of pork on Christmas Day.
    CYA

Thanksgiving has to be turkey, but Christmas is usually something different. We have cooked a ham and cut it of for sandwiches, other times pot roast. Depends on what we are in the mood for.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think I'll start making the rounds of the Italian families that I know on holidays! I love the idea of the crab legs, and other shellfish too! I'd better call first to make sure they are not doing dumb turkey!

Sometimes, I wish I liked meat more.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

mmm, turkey

I do a full-blown turkey dinner every year, even though I live alone. The only traditional food that I absolutely WILL NOT prepare is yams--yuck.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3234470;
    The only traditional food that I absolutely WILL NOT prepare is yams--yuck.

Now I can't do the canned yams of my youth anymore. But I do like baked whole sweet potato alongside a steak.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3234470;
    The only traditional food that I absolutely WILL NOT prepare is yams--yuck.
    I'm with you on the yams, but my sister loves them so they are made every year. I'm a bit weird in that I don't really like any of the veggies that grow in the ground. I have a couple exceptions: I like raw carrots (won't touch cooked), and as far as potatoes go, I'll eat them when they are served with something which drowns out the flavor of the potato itself (i.e. a baked potato smothered in sour cream). But I've never liked yams, turnips, sweet potatoes, any of the winter squashes, and I've only recently started to tolerate beets when they're served with something else. I love summer veggies, but winter just doesn't do it for me.

MRD

I don't do yams either. I make sweet potatos.

I grew up with the traditional turkey and maybe a ham on Christmas, but somewhere in my 20's, my parents started branching out and now we never do a turkey for Christmas.
    Well except the year that my dad was helping my mom carry it in from the smoker outside and he fell and dropped the turkey and the dogs got it and we had side dishes for dinner.

Gabriel, you can keep the fruitcake too. My grandmother used to make a HUGE one, but I never did like it.

I make a pumpkin bundt cake. It's divine. I like pumpkin just not the pie. I think its a texture thing mostly. But I do like sweet potato pie which is similar, but thicker in texture.

I have started buying some of my ingredients for Thanksgiving so it's not all one BIG shopping trip. I am so looking forward to stuffing. My FAVORITE part of the meal. I always make cornbread stuffing and I think this year I may make some oyster stuffing. We haven't had that in seveal years and both hubby and I were thinking it might be good to have it again. I'll do regular stuffing and oyster.

I think I could just eat the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatos and be perfectly happy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

For many years, I was the designated cook on Thanksgiving. We always had turkey. For the past several years, we've gone back East to visit family. Fortunately, they make turkey, too. Thanksgiving, for me, is very traditional and, since I love turkey, any other food would be almost sacriligeous.

Since Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, we always do turkey on Christmas too. My family would be very upset if there was no turkey on Christmas. I can imagine though that if I had done a big dinner only a month earlier I wouldn't want to repeat it so soon. Also, the 26th is a holiday in Canada too so we almost always get some sort of long weekend over Christmas. One trick I use when cooking my turkey is to put bacon on the parts that are browning faster than other parts. It bastes and prevents burning. When I take it off the bird it doesn't matter where everyone is in the house, they all show up to get their fair share

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3234604;
    Since Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, we always do turkey on Christmas too. My family would be very upset if there was no turkey on Christmas. I can imagine though that if I had done a big dinner only a month earlier I wouldn't want to repeat it so soon. Also, the 26th is a holiday in Canada too so we almost always get some sort of long weekend over Christmas.

We do a turkey for both occaisions too. I think it helps that they're much further apart too. But the best thing is the next day we have homemade fries and turkey sandwiches. Yum yum! This year I'm just looking forward to actually eating and enjoying it all!
    We never do pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving anymore. It's carrot pie all the way!!!! To me it tastes about a thousand times better than pumpkin pie.

+ Reply to Thread