+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Country style ribs, here!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm with the rest of you: Thanksgiving is "sacred," but we go a little crazy on Christmas. This year, we're doing leg of lamb. Sometimes we do ham or some other roast beast.

Because my aunt and uncle do a more non-traditional turkey dinner (with the aforementioned gold-plated Willie Bird), we'll be doing a traditional turkey dinner at my house on the day after Thanksgiving. That way, when I'm working all weekend, my father and brother will have turkey sandwiches to eat while they watch 800 football games My poor mother.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm probably one of the few people that finds holiday turkey....actually, turkey period....supremely boring.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3234251;
    I'm probably one of the few people that finds holiday turkey....actually, turkey period....supremely boring.
    If I'm being completely honest, as far as Thanksgiving is concerned, I like the pies and some of the veggies, but in general, it's a meal that I'm not particularly sad to miss. We've gone away for Thanksgiving twice and it's something I'd do again in a heartbeat. I love a good turkey sandwich, but gravy doesn't do it for me, and sliced turkey breast on a plate isn't my favorite either. (But I also don't much like chicken)

Now, that doesn't stop me from eating to the point of pain when the food is there. I think I feel like if we make it, I should at least try it.

MRD

I love Turkey and dressing. I often order it when we go out. Why I don't cook it more at home, I don't know. Probably because you can't get a small turkey, but I often roast chicken with stuffing.

I think the stuffing is my favorite part actually. But I like the turkey too.

Now pumpkin pie, not a fan of that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3234334;
    I love Turkey and dressing. I often order it when we go out. Why I don't cook it more at home, I don't know. Probably because you can't get a small turkey, but I often roast chicken with stuffing.

I think the stuffing is my favorite part actually. But I like the turkey too.

Now pumpkin pie, not a fan of that.
    Me neither, but I had to buy one because my Mom HAS TO HAVE pumpkin pie. So I bought a fruitcake for me.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I thought my family was the only one that celebrated Christmas with dishes other than the usual turkey. We mostly do mexican food but have been known to do italian, chinese and seafood.

Has anyone ever made the cranberries with a sugar substitute? Normally I just dump in a cup of sugar but now I'm thinking my brother would probably prefer them without the sugar (diabetic).
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

That's interesting about turkey on Christmas, I never grew up eating turkey on Christmas. My mom's side of the family, who we always celebrate with on Christmas, is Italian, so we always have had lasagna on Christmas. Usually there is some other stuff thrown in, but that's always incorporated. There have been a couple of years, more recently, when the whole family couldn't make it and we did prime rib and crab legs. Personally, I would rather have prime rib and crab legs then lasagna any day.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3234348;
    I thought my family was the only one that celebrated Christmas with dishes other than the usual turkey. We mostly do mexican food but have been known to do italian, chinese and seafood.

Has anyone ever made the cranberries with a sugar substitute? Normally I just dump in a cup of sugar but now I'm thinking my brother would probably prefer them without the sugar (diabetic).
    I use Splenda all the time. I don't see where it would be a problem with cranberries. It subs good for sauces, puddings, etc. Where you run into trouble is with cookies because they won't brown or spread like with sugar, and cakes that sometimes don't rise like they should.

thanks lil bit. I think I'll cook them first and then add the splenda.

Last couple of years I've brined my turkeys and they have turned out really moist. Usually it is cold enough I can keep them in the garage and I have a huge stockpot that works perfectly. I just dump in some salt and a little bit of sugar and call it a day. This year I'm going to do a whole turkey and a turkey breasts to make sure I have enough leftover to freeze.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread