+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Thank you. Not what I was envisioning, but interesting recipe. I love sweet potato pie.
    Since I'm not having any of my kids for TG, I'm spreading the meal out over the week instead of one big bang. I had mashed potatoes on Friday, bought a homemade pumpkin pie at the "drive by pie" fundraiser that I'm enjoying this weekend, made savory bread pudding earlier last week that I ate with a can of cranberry sauce, will get a cooked chicken (can't eat a whole turkey) at the store today, and am saving my absolute favorite - cranberry pudding (think steamed English pudding, not Jello) for the actual day. So decadent.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 11-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I used the recipe at the Ball canning site for cranberry ketchup (Canning Recipes - BallŪ Canning and Preserving Recipes). One note: If you don't like it really spicy, reduce the amount of cayenne...it's almost too spicy for me, but I push through ;-)

I didn't strain the end result, but I kinda wish I had.

The result is really thick, much like canned cranberry sauce. But after it sits out for a little bit, it becomes spreadable.
    Punkin likes this.

I always brine my turkey now. I just throw some salt and water into a stockpot and stick in the turkey for a day. Make sure you rinse it well before roasting. I keep the stockpot stored in the garage if the temp is low enough.

I never do anything fancy to the turkey. Just put it in the oven lol. It does cook faster after brineing.
    Punkin likes this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

We are planning our annual Thanksgiving meal. It will be the second year we do Breakfast and and not lunch. We'll have ham, eggs, grits, biscuits, hash browns, and other things, but I wanted to prepare something that is more on the healthy side. I thought about strawberries, orange slices, but that's all I can think of. Any suggestions?

Oooh, set up a smoothie bar! Just kidding... but you could make those fruit kabobs on wooden skewers, even arrange them like a rainbow if ya want. Or do something like a fruit cornicopia (maybe utilizing waffles?) in keeping with Thanksgiving. I love fresh fruit at b'fast.
    Debb70 likes this.
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

Gee, my first thought was smoothies! ;^)

Every Friday at work we have breakfast which includes a fruit bowl of cut up cantelope, honeydew melon, strawberries, blueberries, maybe grapes.

Yogurt, or yogurt mixed with something.

I've got to agree with a light fruit salad for some. No way, on Thanksgiving, do I want to start the day with a heavy meal, knowing that my favorite meal of the year is on the near horizon. I don't like to overeat, but put turkey, stuffing, smashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, red cabbage and cranberry sauce in front of me all at once and I will eat until there's no room for pumpkin pie. My favorite holiday after Christmas! It's the holiday I get to share with my DIL's extended family as well as mine.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Tell me again about the day you brought me home and I was all cold and hungry and you became my forever human... It's my favorite kitty bedtime story.

Most thanksgivings I am alone (we can't take a day off before a holiday and we have half a day of school on Weds.) My tradition is to get Chinese food the day before and heat it up. If one of my kids decides to come over, we do as much of the traditional meal as makes sense for 2 or 3 people. After I retire, I'll be able to join the extended family in Ohio, but that's a whole other Lollapalooza.
    Count your blessings!

I'll try to find some melons, but that might not be possible. If so, I'll just do a nice fruit platter. I'm not sure about smoothies. There might be too many people for that be be convenient.

The reason we decided to switch to breakfast, is that most everyone has another place to go on that day. So, they are eating 2-3 traditional meals. Often when we served the traditional meal at 1:30 so many had to leave and go to another house to eat another huge traditional meal in a few hours. By starting out early, we can put a little time in there so they aren't so full all day and aren't rushed from house to house.
    Punkin likes this.

And our burrito eating hamster is back for a Thanksgiving feast with a few of his furry friends!

Tiny Hamster Eating Thanksgiving Meal Breaks the Internet - YouTube
    Brooks likes this.
    Tell me again about the day you brought me home and I was all cold and hungry and you became my forever human... It's my favorite kitty bedtime story.

+ Reply to Thread