+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

No, you don't have to open it. It has a strong sweet lemony aroma. It is used in Asia to make a room fragrant. Wiki says they are used to make candy as well as an addition to Vodka for the avoidance of Scurvy.

And, if you think they look creepy, can you imagine a tree with a bunch of these hanging down? I've never seen one, but I'd hate to run into one on a dark night.

That is the coolest looking fruit. Thanks for sharing! I could make the most interesting center pieces with some of those and the lemon fragrance. Yum!
    Speaking of center pieces, if you took the Buddha's Hand and removed a few of the pieces from the center, then place a small pumpkin in the center, it would look like, instead of a octopus a pumpkinpus.
    Or for Thanksgiving, use three or more down the center of your table. Carve out a hole and place a candle in the center.
    Oh the possibilities...
    I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. It's all about the food, football, giving thanks and putting up my Christmas decorations. Next day...turkey sandwiches.
    Punkin and CantGetNuf like this.

I LOVE the octopus idea!
    Punkin and Miss Scarlet like this.
    Count your blessings!

So what is everyone looking forward to eating the most? For me its a strawberry jello salad. So simple I could make it every day of the year. But I save it for Thanksgiving and Christmas just to keep it special. Its something my mom made every year and it just reminds me of home.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is sweet potato cobbler. My youngest son and I are looking forward to this so much that I'm thinking I might have to make a "test" one today.
    Punkin and Lizard like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

My husband just returned from a two-week business trip and told me that he's really looking forward to the cranberry ketchup I made a couple of weeks ago :-) My son says that we absolutely must have turkey. And for me, it's not Thanksgiving unless there are creamed onions on the table.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    So what is everyone looking forward to eating the most? For me its a strawberry jello salad. So simple I could make it every day of the year. But I save it for Thanksgiving and Christmas just to keep it special. Its something my mom made every year and it just reminds me of home.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is sweet potato cobbler. My youngest son and I are looking forward to this so much that I'm thinking I might have to make a "test" one today.
    Please, please, please, please, please post this recipe!!!!
    Count your blessings!

Today, I made Cranberry Relish. The one with cranberries, apples, oranges, lemon and pecans. It's better if its sits for a day or two. I made a double recipe and gave my son some when he came to pick up his pies for dinner. I've made it every since he was little and last year he 'discovered' it. Mom, I love this. Why haven't you made it before?

Does anyone brine their turkey? I never have. I follow the method my grandmother and mother did and use cheesecloth to make a 'blanket' for the turkey that helps hold on the basting moisture. I never wanted to fill up my fridge with a large container that would hold turkey and brine with all of the other stuff going on in there at Thanksgiving. But I am tempted to try a new dry-brine method I found on Yahoo today. Any comments about this method before I try something new and regret it?

Yahoo Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Could y'all please pass on the cranberry catsup and cranberry relish recipes?

The Cranberry Relish is in the recipe thread. I hope you enjoy it. I can eat a bowl of it and do.

My sister brines her Turkey and cooks it in a oven bag. It comes out moist and tender. I tried brining one year and wasn't successful. It was okay but I prefer the old way. I may try it again sometime but not at Thanksgiving.
    I cook mine the old fashion way. I slide butter pats and herbs between the breast meat and skin. Rub the outside with olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and black pepper and roast in the oven. Basting with the juices. Tent with foil. Let it rest before carving. It turns out moist and tender.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 11-23-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

Inthegarden- My oldest son was the pickiest eater. Now that he is grown and moved out he is all the time coming and telling me what new foods he ate that were delish. Never mind that I had begged him for years to try them. Kids!

Punkin- When I started reading your post I was going to point you to the same article you posted as I had just read it today myself. I know a lot of the holiday posts here at FoRT discuss the topic of brining and most seem to be in favor of it. The article seems to really be in favor of dry brining. I say go for it.

Gutmutter here is the recipe for the swt pot cobbler. I have gotten lazy the last few years and instead of making the crust I just roll out crescent rolls and bake between each layer. It is awesome!
    SWEET POTATO COBBLER

4 med. potatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    1 stick butter
    3 c. water
    1 3/4 c. sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Boil potatoes with 3 cups water, salt, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla for about 5 to 6 minutes. Roll pie crust thin and cut in lone strips, layer the pan with potatoes and slices of butter and sprinkle sugar over potatoes. Put strips of pie crust on top of potatoes long ways. Put in oven and cook until light brown. Repeat step 1 layering except lay crust cross ways until all potatoes are used. Let cook until juice thickens and crust is brown. Add some juice each time from the boiled potatoes.

CRISCO PIE CRUST:

2 c. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    3/4 c. Crisco
    1/4 c. ice water

Add salt to flour. Add Crisco and cut until Crisco particles are very small. Sprinkle water over mixture and mix with a fork. Gather dough with fingers and press into ball. Roll between wax paper.
    Yields 2 pie crusts.

I added chedder cheese on each layer.
    Punkin likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

+ Reply to Thread