+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    So no stuffing/dressing correct?
    Correct. It was always my favorite part of the dinner (StoveTop!!), but he's never asked for it.

I just think some carbs are needed in your diet. So thickening the gravy with a little flour or cornstarch should be okay. .
    There are already plenty of carbs with the regular mashed potatoes. I don't need to add to it. Guar gum worked out terrifically, I couldn't tell the difference

Ask the Doctor. If he is doing a fairly good job of modifying his diet ... once or twice a year won't poison him and he deserves a treat.
    That was his opinion last year. LOL. No doctor to ask in this situation (he insists that his cardiologist manage the diabetes and the card isn't managing on that level), and except for the first couple months hubby has refused to do any home glucose monitoring so he has zero idea how foods or food combinations are affecting him. His A1c isn't too bad, but it doesn't tell you anything about swings.

there are many, many Thanksgiving menu's modified for diabetics on line.
    That's what I did last year and it turned into a major fight. He didn't want any modifications. Of course, after the meal he volunteered that it was all excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Correct. It was always my favorite part of the dinner (StoveTop!!), but he's never asked for it.
    Not too bad, but the "for chicken" is better than the "for turkey.

There are already plenty of carbs with the regular mashed potatoes. I don't need to add to it. Guar gum worked out terrifically, I couldn't tell the difference.
    I still think once a year or in moderation ... is okay.

That was his opinion last year. LOL. No doctor to ask in this situation (he insists that his cardiologist manage the diabetes and the card isn't managing on that level), and except for the first couple months hubby has refused to do any home glucose monitoring so he has zero idea how foods or food combinations are affecting him. His A1c isn't too bad, but it doesn't tell you anything about swings.
    I would try adding a nutritionist to help. Insurance/Medicare will allow some.

If A1C is good ... they say weight loss and exercise will control numbers and swings. My Doc doesn't like monitoring ... because when it's moderate ... a spike makes you nervous.

That's what I did last year and it turned into a major fight. He didn't want any modifications. Of course, after the meal he volunteered that it was all excellent.
    Just modify it and don't mention it! No major fights!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Whatever happened to MRD, who started this thread? I miss her.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

She's on Facebook now. A lot of FORTers congregate there. They had a FORT group, even, but I like the anonymity here.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    She's on Facebook now. A lot of FORTers congregate there. They had a FORT group, even, but I like the anonymity here.
    Thank you for letting me know.
    Like you, I prefer the overall anonymity here as well.

I don't even have a Facebook or Twitter account!
    Punkin likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

Perhaps someone could let her know she is missed ... and to stop by?

Mohandas Gandhi

I will be happy to do that.
    Count your blessings!

Back to Thanksgiving? A couple of years ago I was at a Saturday Farmer's Market at the San Francisco Ferry Building a few weeks before Thanksgiving and was taken aback by a fruit I had never seen or heard of before! It was a Buddha's Hand Lemon. It is in the Lemon family, but is mostly lemon rind with very little pulp. Buddha's hand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So I had to have one and immediately saw it's potential for a Thanksgiving centerpiece. Here's a picture of the one I found:

Buddha Hand 002.jpg

I am befuddled that I can find this picture of my original fruit, but I can't find any of the pics I took of the centerpieces I made, so you'll have to imagine the display. I placed the Buddha's hand on a platter and surrounded it with little pumpkins, limes, tangerines, cranberries, nuts and such. It is an Asian fruit, but is grown in the Sacramento Valley. I don't know if it can be found elsewhere, but your local Farmer's Market Cooperative would know. It was the most beautiful 'cornucopia' I ever made and was quite the conversation piece as no one else had ever seen one either.

It's an idea. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by Punkin; 11-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Ellen and inthegarden like this.

I've seen them in farmers' markets here in San Diego (never bought one) and on Iron Chef America.
    Apparently, the zest is really fragrant and flavorful.
    I love the centerpiece potential! I'll be looking for it at the next trip to the farmers' market!
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread