+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I love TG food! Woo hoo! I hope one of my daughters or son can join me this year.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I love TG food! Woo hoo! I hope one of my daughters or son can join me this year.
    I love all the Thanksgiving foods too ... but I always like my own the best ... especially the stuffing/dressing.
    People are always "experimenting" and adding or doing something different.

Also ... I like homemade gravy and know just too many people who use jars or packaged mixes.

I will use store bought cubed bread at times ... but that is it. I also grew up with the canned Cranberry sauce ... so I prefer it .... but I also enjoy homemeade cranberry sauce.

Please don't think I am not grateful to have food ort someone else to cook it. I am just a little picky I guess.
    Punkin likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

For years now I have been unable to join the family Thanksgiving in Ohio because of our contract forbidding us taking off a day before/after a holiday and we have a half day before TG. Until my kids were grown, my ex took them every year and I had my own tradition of Chinese food. People would invite me to eat with their family, but that seemed more depressing than being alone. My chef daughter in Boston has TG day off, so I'm hoping my son, who just moved back and is living just south of Boston can drive her back for the day. She makes an awesome gravy, but it's a 3-day process. Maybe I can have her talk me through the first part. I think it's turkey legs in a crockpot with aromatic veggies (onions, carrots, celery) for day one... something involving a long oven time for day 2. Hmmm.
    I'll definitely make my famous cranberry (steamed) pudding. I just found a sweet covered casserole dish at the recycling center I can make that in this year. Fancy with a little acorn on the lid.
    Count your blessings!

FoRTer

I love Thanksgiving, too. The traditional food and the way it's just a low-key holiday about feeling thankful.
    This year, we are looking into going in on a cabin rental with some of hubby's siblings and their families. While we try to get together with individual families throughout the year, the last time we all stayed in one place like this was over 15 years ago; there's an entire generation of cousins that didn't even exist then! It will be nice to catch up with my in-laws and see all the kids do the same.
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That sounds really lovely, colt. I've got fond memories of when my children were younger and my husband's siblings and all the cousins would gather at the grandparents home in the mountains. We'd gather at one huge extended table, have the fireplace going, and the kids loved to watch the deer outside. Unfortunately, like gutmutter said upthread, my brothers-in-law would often not be able to take the day after Thanksgiving as a vacation day, and it got to be too much traveling for just a single holiday. Now, we gather in the outer boroughs of NYC, where my b.i.l. lives, which is another whole can of worms. NYC traffic is the pits...an hour's drive could take up to 2 hours most weekends and holidays. Not looking forward to that!

We had ours' But our American neighbours are going to have their Thanksgiving and we are invited My brother in law decide to deep fry his turkey and it was awful( jmho ) but even hubby didn't like it! He also invited half his ball team , he said a few friends and family. My mother in law looked lost with so many she didn't know, the gal that drives her around had too much booze, ugh! so we had to cut her off.I tell ya, its weapons of mass dysfunction with my in laws

So, happy thanksgiving and I hope its belter than the (first ) one we had
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FoRTer

Oh, Eastcoastmom I don't envy that traffic but I will envy your location. I got to see NYC for the first time about a year and a half ago, and my husband and I were just this weekend discussing how great it would be to go back.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

I look forward to Turkeyday every year, I love to host it at my house! Its become a tradition the morning of to participate in a walk our local Rescue Mission puts on ("Move your feet so others can eat") and then we all head to my place! This year I am excited to keep my 5 month old niece while my sister does the Black Friday thing. I would much rather be babysitting than be out in the madness!
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

One year ago hubby was diagnosed diabetic. He’s the family chef. The only special dinner I cook is Thanksgiving, because traditionally there were contributions from my vegetable garden and that made preparing Thanksgiving dinner really important to me. It was a dinner I always intended to be very healing, both emotionally and physically. That was a challenge last year because the diabetes was new and he wanted one last forbidden dinner. But I…just…couldn’t…intentionally poison him, which is what the standard mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, apple pie would have felt like. I wouldn’t do that and he wouldn’t take over the dinner. So after a lot of last minute tears and fussing he begrudgingly allowed me to do some experimenting, like mashed cauliflower, cranberry sauce made with Splenda, gravy thickened with guar gum. As I recall, the masterful lower carb desert I struggled with was never eaten. We were probably full by then.

We haven’t had the Thanksgiving dinner conversation yet. For some reason I’m not so concerned about poisoning him this year. ;^) He hasn’t managed his diabetes the way he needs to, but he has made a lot of dietary improvements. It hasn't been easy for him because he doesn’t like any of the artificial sweeteners. So I think I may offer real mashed potatoes if he balks at cauliflower, not tell him it’s guar gum gravy, and suggest we skip desert since really sweet foods now make him too thirsty and he’s avoiding them.

With just the two of us, the main item is always a large roast chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    One year ago hubby was diagnosed diabetic. He’s the family chef. The only special dinner I cook is Thanksgiving, because traditionally there were contributions from my vegetable garden and that made preparing Thanksgiving dinner really important to me. It was a dinner I always intended to be very healing, both emotionally and physically. That was a challenge last year because the diabetes was new and he wanted one last forbidden dinner. But I…just…couldn’t…intentionally poison him, which is what the standard mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, apple pie would have felt like. I wouldn’t do that and he wouldn’t take over the dinner. So after a lot of last minute tears and fussing he begrudgingly allowed me to do some experimenting, like mashed cauliflower, cranberry sauce made with Splenda, gravy thickened with guar gum. As I recall, the masterful lower carb desert I struggled with was never eaten. We were probably full by then.

We haven’t had the Thanksgiving dinner conversation yet. For some reason I’m not so concerned about poisoning him this year. ;^) He hasn’t managed his diabetes the way he needs to, but he has made a lot of dietary improvements. It hasn't been easy for him because he doesn’t like any of the artificial sweeteners. So I think I may offer real mashed potatoes if he balks at cauliflower, not tell him it’s guar gum gravy, and suggest we skip desert since really sweet foods now make him too thirsty and he’s avoiding them.

With just the two of us, the main item is always a large roast chicken.
    So no stuffing/dressing correct?

I just think some carbs are needed in your diet. So thickening the gravy with a little flour or cornstarch should be okay.
    But you could also use a non-white flour.
    Ask the Doctor. If he is doing a fairly good job of modifying his diet ... once or twice a year won't poison him and he deserves a treat.

ETA ... ALSO there are many, many Thanksgiving menu's modified for diabetics on line.

BY the way ... I don't like the artificial sweeteners either but I think Splenda has a half & Half thing and Brown sugar too,
    Last edited by echo226; 10-17-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread