+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I love this time of year because I get to use my fall dishes!

thanksgiving2012.jpg

My family lives miles away, so I celebrate Thanksgiving with my single friends. I went all traditional this year -- turkey with sage/chestnut stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy made from pan drippings and stock, candied yams, orange-cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, soft rolls, pumpkin pie, apple-cranberry crumble and cranberry-pomegranate cocktails. The only things I didn't make from scratch were the rolls and the pie crusts (Trader Joe's roll-out crusts are better than homemade).

I'm exhausted, but it was worth it.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

What a lovely table you've set, candor. Good to know about Trader Joe's roll-out crusts...didn't know they carried that item. Will check it out.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My aunt always brought stewed tomatoes that were sweeeeeet with butter and bread in them.
    I'm just catching up on this thread and this caught my eye, Gut. A flood of memories...it's probably not the same dish, but my very Catholic grandmother would stay with us from Thanksgiving to Easter for most of my childhood. She would make this concoction in a pot on Fridays in lent (no meat!) where she's put a can of diced tomatoes in a pot, some sugar, and broken up bread buttered on both sides it up in the pot and cook it. I nicknamed it "tomato gush" but ate it up. I probably haven't had it in 20+ years; I might just have to make it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I'm just catching up on this thread and this caught my eye, Gut. A flood of memories...it's probably not the same dish, but my very Catholic grandmother would stay with us from Thanksgiving to Easter for most of my childhood. She would make this concoction in a pot on Fridays in lent (no meat!) where she's put a can of diced tomatoes in a pot, some sugar, and broken up bread buttered on both sides it up in the pot and cook it. I nicknamed it "tomato gush" but ate it up. I probably haven't had it in 20+ years; I might just have to make it this week.
    That sounds like a wonderful comfort-food dish. Is the bread toasted first? It sounds like it would be a yummy go-with for grilled cheese/leftover turkey sandwiches.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Even though I didn't cook, I got custody of the turkey carcass. So I got to make turkey/vegetable/noodle soup. Yum! I boiled it & de-meated it, and strained the water on Saturday & made the soup yesterday. Afterwards it was so cold outside that I put the pot outside on a chair to cool. Thank God I remembered it before I went to bed. I would have had a giant pot of frozen solid turkey soup.
    I'll have leftovers tonight & probably take a container full over to my son. Then I'll separate what's left into freezer containers & freeze them in slightly larger than meal size portions.
    I'll get to eat my yummy turkey soup whenever I want.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I got the turkey carcass too, MS. Got to get the fixings for soup and get that done tomorrow. The house is finally back to normal since my family went home this morning. The house feels so much bigger (although I still live in a teacup) and QUIET. Hallelujah!

We did the traditional turkey dinner with a few special additions including a savory corn pudding that we always have, but which is usually provided by someone else who's since moved out-of-state. Easy recipe and SO delicious!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I aslo got the carcass again and made some great stock last night. I'm going to freeze it to make gumbo at a later date, when the temperature gets below 60 for more than 36 hours.

I made and froze individual servings of turkey pot pie (with stock made from the carcass!). This time I bought packaged puff pastry and just put it on the top. Delicious.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I'm going to throw the carcass into the crockpot before I leave for school in a minute. If I had more time, I'd add all the aromatic veggies, too, but I'll just have to add them when I make it into soup.
    Count your blessings!

Just bumping this because we just missed Canada's Thanksgiving and soon will be planning the U.S.A. Holiday !

Belated holiday good wishes to our Canadian poster friends!
    Punkin and AmyKay like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread