+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I steam cauliflower in 1/3 c. of chicken stock, mash it and add a bit of parmesan cheese. My family loves it.
    TripleGemini likes this.

We finalized our TG menu and went grocery shopping for it... turkey with 3-day-prep gravy, hand-made stuffing with mushrooms and sage, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, curried cranberry sauce, bread pudding with mixed berry sorbet (homemade). All made from scratch by my 4th year culinary student who has studied in Italy and under some 5-star chefs. She got a special wine she pairs with turkey.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    I am having a butterball Turkey breast roast, baked potatoes , yams and veggies, folks are bringing the pumpkin pie. Iam glad this only happens once a year I hate this stuff. Next year I think I will have Ruebens.
    PS - Someone read my menu and asked where the stuffing was, so I bought a box of stove top turkey stuffing and a can of chicken broth (1/2 water 1/2 broth). enough already.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    I am having a butterball Turkey breast roast, baked potatoes , yams and veggies, folks are bringing the pumpkin pie. Iam glad this only happens once a year I hate this stuff. Next year I think I will have Ruebens.
    You hate ALL of it, just1paul? I happen to love a good Reuben sandwich, too, but I look forward to turkey every Thanksgiving as I never make it during the year. Thanksgiving is spent with my husband's side of the family and I have only hosted once. I normally do Christmas with my side. Right now the pumpkin breads are baking in the oven. They smell so good. It's weird b/c I happen to love pumpkin bread or muffins but can't stand pumpkin pie. And even with my sweet tooth, pecan pie is just too sweet for my liking. My contribution this year is green bean casserole and baked macaroni and cheese. And brownies for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    ... got a special wine she pairs with turkey.
    I'm curious -- which wine?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Pies are done and cooling right now. Breads and rolls were done today by DH while I was at the office. At his suggestion we are adding a coconut custard pie to the dessert offering for his brother, Geoff.

Forgot to mention we'll have the traditional cracklins with football pre-dinner, and bourbon bread pudding for the non-pie fanciers after dinner.

I'm working tomorrow and Friday. Thursday will be a mini-marathon of cooking and cleaning for company. Not much of a holiday break for me, but I really do love this holiday! I'll be doing this till I (and/or him) are using walkers.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

My son is staying home from his whole half-day of school tomorrow (where he really wouldn't be doing anything anyway), so he's going to help me make the pumpkin cheesecake, cloverleaf rolls, and the rest of the prep. And given that the Patriots are playing Thursday afternoon, we'll have our big dinner that day (and maybe go to the movies on Friday).

We have a half day, today, too. I HATE half days before a holiday. 20 min. classes and everyone bouncing off the walls - especially the sad students who are not looking forward to spending that many days at home. School is their safe haven.
    I came home to the house smelling HEAVENLY! Turkey legs roasted then stewed with aromatic veggies, strained, and reduced. We had the turkey meat in pitas with tabouli and hummus for dinner.
    Ellen - the wine is Gewurtraminer (Vin D'Alsace).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Ellen - the wine is Gewurtraminer (Vin D'Alsace).
    Wow -- good to know. That's my favorite go-to T-giving dinner wine, too!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I remember growing up when we would go to our family friends or they would come to our house, as everyone loved the legs, we always bought extra. We had the only turkey with 4 or 5 legs! For me, I can't do the dark meat, never have been able to. I know they say its tastier or juicier, but give me the white meat every time.... even if it is dry. I'm weird that way.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread