+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I LOVE Thanksgiving....family time! Last year my hubby, kid and I went to my moms in PA. This year my sisters and their families (that live in town) are coming to my house. I am making the staples (turkey, stuffing -stovetop-, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, rolls, and sweet tea) and everyone else brings a dish/dessert/or drink. I love after dinner when the kids play on the wii and the adults just laze around the table talking. Sometimes we pull out board games. I always say I dont want the hassle of being the one doing dinner, but I missed not doing it last year.
    Our city has a 5k run/walk Thanksgiving day morning that we all usually participate in if we are in town. It benefits the local Rescue Mission, the motto is "Move your feet so others can eat" Its cool, TONS of people come out, they have singers/entertainers on every corner of the walk, and the kids love crossing the race finish line.
    Cootie and Poppy Fields like this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

We're supporting a local organic farm by getting a free-range, organically fed turkey from it. (We've been doing this for the past several years. Yeah, it's a little "spendy," but we know and trust the folks from whom we're buying.) For sides and desserts, we're doing our own creative takes on the classics. It might be just me and the hubby; we might have guests. We do kind of a "drop in" thing: if you're gonna be alone on Thanksgiving and don't want to be alone, c'mon over. If you already have plans, but want to come over for dessert, c'mon over later. Or you have a hankerin' for leftovers and/or company on Friday, c'mon over!
    Cootie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Just the two of us. My goal is a traditional dinner, or at least one that looks traditional. Hubby was diagnosed diabetic a few weeks ago and I'm exploring potential substitutions. The main one will be mashed cauliflower "potatoes".
    I've heard mashed cauliflower is as good as potatoes & tastes very similar.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fan

I don't really celebrate it anymore since I live away from family and don't like to impose on friends, but growing up, Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday. My family would go down to the Florida panhandle with another family we were really close to, and we always went to a local restaurant for their Thanksgiving buffet. There was always the traditional (turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, pumpkin pie, etc) but because it was Florida, there was also a lot of great seaside fare. Grilled snapper and fried grouper, fruit salads, key lime pie, things like that. Then we'd walk down to the condo and play touch football on the beach out front. If there was one thing I could have back from my childhood, it would definitely be Thanksgivings like that.

I prepare a traditional Thanksgiving dinner (much like Poppy's)...turkey, cornbread stuffing, gravy (of course!), cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and squash. My "weird" item is creamed onions...my mother always made them for Thanksgiving and it just isn't the same if I don't make them.

I am thinking that maybe I'll make dinner on Wednesday, though, and then we can do leftovers on Thursday. And maybe go to the movies.

We always had the regulars, but with one bread stuffing and one oyster stuffing. My aunt always brought stewed tomatoes that were sweeeeeet with butter and bread in them. My paternal grandmother made mince meat pie and Charlotte Rousse - a custardy angelfood cake, vanilla thing we all loved. I've made it, but it's one of those very involved recipes with custard, whipped cream, whipped egg whites, layers, etc. My kids didn't particularly like it, so I haven't made it in years. There was also pumpkin and apple pie. It's still the family reunion time at my mom's house and most of the cousins (our children) still make it even though they're in college or older. I haven't been able to go in years because our contract doesn't allow us to take off the day before a holiday and we work a half day Weds. For years I have had my own tradition of Chinese food because you don't make all that just for yourself and going to someone else's family dinner is just too depressing if you can't be with your own. But lately one or the other of my daughters has chosen to spend the day with me instead of the big blowout in Ohio, so I've started having TG dinner again on an intimate scale. It's nice.

TripleGemini - we always had creamed onions on New Year's Day.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I've heard mashed cauliflower is as good as potatoes & tastes very similar.
    I only get one shot at it because hubby already hates the idea. Apparently his mom abused him with cauliflower when he was a kid and he's never forgiven that vegetable, LOL.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Whenever I go to Ruby Tuesday's (restaurant chain in our area), I order this side. Frequently it's not even on the menu, but it's available. It really does provide the same kind of texture and satisfation of mashed taters without the carbs.

It's a bit heavy handed with the butter, though.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I only get one shot at it because hubby already hates the idea. Apparently his mom abused him with cauliflower when he was a kid and he's never forgiven that vegetable, LOL.
    When I make mashed cauliflower, I steam the cauliflower (not boil it) until just fork-tender. Then I mash it with a little milk, a couple tablespoons of butter, and salt and pepper. (You can also add garlic when steaming and cheese when mashing.) It's a great way to add veggies to a meal (that don't look like veggies!).

^That sounds wonderful. (making a mental note to try this very soon)

I'm excited about Thanksgiving! So much to be thankful for.
    We traditionally share a meal with hubby's family - those that live close enough to get together - and this year our house is the gathering spot. Two of his sisters are bringing a lot of the food - appetizers, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls and banana pudding. Hubby is frying a turkey breast and picking up a Honeybaked ham. That leaves me with very little to do in the kitchen - making a cheesecake the day before, and then just gravy and a couple of sides that day. Easy stuff. The hardest part will be getting the house ready for company.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread