+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

As usual, I ended up with the turkey carcas and lots of meat. I made stock yesterday and am planning on doing soup tomorrow.

I swear, I'm like an evangelist for this recipe: Maple-Roasted Chicken With Sweet Potatoes | Real Simple Recipes
    I made it with leftover turkey and it was fabulous. I cooked the sweet potatoes and onion with some salt, pepper and thyme and a swirl of maple syrup and then added the turkey (and a tiny bit of syrup) after they had almost finished cooking. I use light maple syrup (which really has very little actual maple syrup in it) because it's cheaper and lower in calories.

I bought a 20lb turkey before TG since they were so cheap. It's currently taking up way too much space in my freezer. I'll cook it probably sometime in December or maybe January and then I'll have even more leftovers!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I mixed together all the ingredients last night for turkey vegetable soup and stored it in the crockpot in the refrigerator. As soon as we got up, we took out the crockpot and turned it on low. Soup for supper tonight! I don't cook much now that it's just the two of us, but I do love to make soups. Most of them are "clean out the refrigerator" style - nothing high-class, just good comfort food. And the great thing about being just the two of us is that we don't mind eating the same thing 3 nights in a row, so a big pot of soup is perfect for us.

We have an upright freezer - wow, has it saved me money over the years! I cooked our turkey carcass, made about 8 quarts of turkey soup (with celery, onions, carrots, S&P and a pinch of tarragon) and froze it all in 1 quart containers...that way all we have to do is thaw one or two, heat it, toss in some noodles, and voila! Extra freezer space is so nice
    AZChristian likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

It's that time again! Do you love/hate this holiday meal of meals? Stay home? Go to family/friends? Serve in a soup kitchen? This year my chef daughter is coming home and doing all the cooking. I just have to drink wine and wash the dishes.
    My contribution may include my curried cranberry sauce though, because it isn't TG without it for me. What's your deal breaker/must have?
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

This year it is non traditional for us. We are having ribeyes, baked potatoes, salad, garlic bread and probably another veggie plus the desserts. I am burnt out on turkey. We are having friends over this year as daughter is at inlaws.
    just1paul likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Turkey is the dealbreaker for me. I've been to a few Thanksgiving dinners with other main courses, but although the food was great & I behaved appreciative, grateful & never complained, it just wasn't the same.

For quite a few years after my son was grown, I cooked the whole big Thanksgiving dinner: (turkey/stuffing/mashed potatoes gravy/sweet potatoes/green bean casserole/appetizers/pumpkin pie & whipped cream) for just him & myself & maybe friends of his without family plans. A lot of work & food, but I didn't want him to miss out.

This year he & his wife are inviting me.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    This year it is non traditional for us. We are having ribeyes, baked potatoes, salad, garlic bread and probably another veggie plus the desserts. I am burnt out on turkey. We are having friends over this year as daughter is at inlaws.
    my kind of dinner
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I am having a butterball Turkey breast roast, baked potatoes , yams and veggies, folks are bringing the pumpkin pie. Iam glad this only happens once a year I hate this stuff. Next year I think I will have Ruebens.
    Rattus likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Just the two of us. My goal is a traditional dinner, or at least one that looks traditional. Hubby was diagnosed diabetic a few weeks ago and I'm exploring potential substitutions. The main one will be mashed cauliflower "potatoes".
    Ellen likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I think that's because it's only about family and food ( 2 of my favorite things) Every year I make the same dishes and, when I try to sneak some variation in, I can sense the disappointment. So, it's whole roast turkey with cornbread stuffing (and a huge amount of extra stuffing done on the stovetop), lots and lots of gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry-orange sauce, Parker House rolls with pumpkin and mince pies for dessert. We've had this same meal for so many decades of Thanksgivings, I can almost do it in my sleep.

We also make a special dinner that day for the furry members of our family. This will be the 2nd Thanksgiving without Carly (RIP, beloved kitty). But her best friend Amos, my granddog, will be here to sup with us. He still turns the house upside looking for her whenever he visits.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread