+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I spent 2+ hours tonight making my linzer torte. It's fabulous, but a he** of a lot of work. I'm exhausted.
    Menu is turkey, stuffing, mini hot dogs in crescent rolls, celery & carrots with lite ranch dip, green beans with garlic, roasted brussells sprouts, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, lots of wine!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my FORT friends!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone's feasts turn out delicious and well-appreciated. I'm home alone working on some grad papers. My children and extended family are all in Ohio. I'm just making a big crockpot full of veggie soup, although I did find my favorite Trader Joe's gorgonzola cheeze dip that I will have with crackers and/or apple slices later. That's a real treat for me now that I do little or no dairy in my daily diet. A votre sante!
    Count your blessings!

The watergate I make is mostly sugarfree, geared towards a diabetic. I use SF pistacho pudding mix, SF cool whip, and crushed pineapple in in its own juices.

I made my coconut cake. It has a pound of butter in the icing~called a swiss buttercream and one of the trickier frostings I've ever made. Cook egg whites and sugar to 120 degrees. Cool down to 80 degrees while whipping. Then add the butter in slowly. The cake looks lovely.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I just took the "tent" off our turkey and brushed it with vegetable oil and seasonings. It will be done at 3:00. The green bean casserole is made and oven ready once the turkey's out. So are the rolls. Along with whole berry cranberry sauce, garlic mashed, and enough stuffing and gravy to feed a small school, I think we're set. I made pumpkin pie (from a can of Libbys) and bourbon bread pudding last night.

I have just poured myself a glass of dry red wine and I'm lifting it to you, fellow FORTers, with my best wishes for the happiest of Thanksgivings to you all. God bless! I'm thankful to have you in my life.
    Cootie likes this.

My sister and I decided next year it is going to be a break from the traditional turkey and dressing menu........gonna have steak, baked potato and salad and dessert. I ate so very little turkey and dressing.
    SugarMama likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    How funny...all this talk about Thanksgiving (and belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members!), and just today I baked sugar pumpkins so that we'll have fresh pumpkin pie again this year :-) I have this kind of weird setup in the kitchen now...two strainers full of baked pumpkin, over two different bowls. The top bowl is weighting down the bottom bowl, and the electric can opener is weighting down the top bowl ;-) (Fresh pumpkin has to be drained before it can be used.) Tomorrow, I'll put it in freezer bags...although maybe I'll make some pumpkin bread first ;-)
    Wow! I have never done it this way, never even heard of doing it this way! Is this a recipe that has been handed down over generations and possibly came from the pre-food processor era?

I got my recipe from the Joy of Cooking cookbook and all I do is cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out all the seeds and stringy pulp, bake it for an hour or so. Let it cool enough to handle and then cut it up into chunks and put the chunks in a food processor and puree it. Then I add all the spices, etc., and mix it all up! Turns out fine every time!

I also went on the all-recipes website and looked at several pumpkin pie recipes using real pumpkin and didn't see any that called for straining the pumpkins like that.

I will admit to cheating and using store bought pie shells. I've never really taken the time to perfect my pie crusts. So I buy a slew of them, get into assembly-line mode and make a dozen or so pies at one time. One or two must be eaten right away while the rest are frozen for future use. They do freeze really well.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    Wow! I have never done it this way, never even heard of doing it this way! Is this a recipe that has been handed down over generations and possibly came from the pre-food processor era?
    Honestly, I have no idea, but I've been doing it that way for awhile now. It gets rid of all the extra water in the pumpkin so all that's left is the pumpkin itself.

(IIRC, I got almost 2 cups of pumpkin juice out of the two pumpkins.)

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    My sister and I decided next year it is going to be a break from the traditional turkey and dressing menu........gonna have steak, baked potato and salad and dessert. I ate so very little turkey and dressing.
    Know what? That is an AWESOME idea! My back still hurts from the day-and-a-half of cooking stuff that nobody ever really wants but we feel it's supposed to be on the table. In fact, after this past T'giving meal, I was washing dishes and said, "This is SO overrated."

We don't eat steak often anymore - due to the prices and for me personally, my attempts to lay off meat. But to go all out on Thanksgiving for a filet mignon and the works - now THAT would be giving thanks! Making a note for next November
    nennie and Poppy Fields like this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Our family has dwindled so much that to cook that much stuff is way over the top and I have never liked turkey that well. I have passed the steak idea by most of them and they think it is a great idea. I would buy good steaks for the occasion.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

That's when we spring for the filet mignon (we just won't eat the the rest of the month ), the porcini mushroom/marsala sauce, a good merlot, the works! Devour it like hedonist lions, then sit back and bask in the glow of absolute contentment! did I just say that?
    nennie and Eastcoastmom like this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread