+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

How funny...all this talk about Thanksgiving (and belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members!), and just today I baked sugar pumpkins so that we'll have fresh pumpkin pie again this year :-) I have this kind of weird setup in the kitchen now...two strainers full of baked pumpkin, over two different bowls. The top bowl is weighting down the bottom bowl, and the electric can opener is weighting down the top bowl ;-) (Fresh pumpkin has to be drained before it can be used.) Tomorrow, I'll put it in freezer bags...although maybe I'll make some pumpkin bread first ;-)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

OK, TripleGemini, I'm officially in awe! I just open up a can of Libby's.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    How funny...all this talk about Thanksgiving (and belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members!), and just today I baked sugar pumpkins so that we'll have fresh pumpkin pie again this year :-) I have this kind of weird setup in the kitchen now...two strainers full of baked pumpkin, over two different bowls. The top bowl is weighting down the bottom bowl, and the electric can opener is weighting down the top bowl ;-) (Fresh pumpkin has to be drained before it can be used.) Tomorrow, I'll put it in freezer bags...although maybe I'll make some pumpkin bread first ;-)
    That is great! I'm almost inspired to try doing my own pumpkin. I use a lot of it, mostly for dog biscuits and pumpkin bread. Pumpkin is excellent for dogs, helps their digestive system stay in sync. My Harmony even likes to snack on it raw (as well as squash) but that is a different thread. lol
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    OK, TripleGemini, I'm officially in awe! I just open up a can of Libby's.
    Poppy Fields, LOL :-) (And thanks!) But baking pumpkins is so easy...cut them in half, and remove the seeds and whatever. Bake on foil-lined cookie sheets (I spray them with non-stick foil first) for about 75 minutes. Let them cool, and then scrape the pulp into a strainer over a bowl. Weight it down to push the liquid out, then portion it into freezer bags. I'll probably do this two or three more times over the next couple of weeks...this way, we can have fresh pumpkin pie (or whatever I choose to make) all winter.

(And you can bake the seeds, too, if you've got someone who likes them. But make sure they're all cleaned off first.)

And I haven't tried giving pumpkin to my dog...but I know she likes cherry tomatoes and cucumbers ;-)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I made pumpkin pie from scratch last year but I ended up with so much pumpkin leftover. It was too labor intensive and not all that much better tasting to be worth the effort so I'm sticking with canned pumpkin from now on.

I'm going to make a coconut cake from scratch for t-day. I'm using a recipe from Cooks Country. My menu:

Ham
    Turkey with gravy
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes
    Acorn Squash
    Steamed green beans
    watergate salad
    cranberry relish
    whole wheat rolls
    relish tray
    pumpkin pie
    peach pie
    coconut cake

All made by me with the exception of the peach pie which I'll buy it is sugar free.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I am going to have a similar meal to livin4reality except that for dessert I am going to have a pear and almond tart and a pumpkin pie made from a "sweet meat" pumpkin. Our green salad will probably be a beat salad.

Mine:

Vegetable and Cheese tray
    Turkey and gravy
    Stuffing/Dressing (not in the bird but in a casserole)
    Macaroni and Cheese
    Green beans
    Sweet Potato Souffle
    Sweet Corn
    Yeast Rolls
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Tums

(my family just doesn't like cranberries )
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Love your menu, livin4reality! Your guests are going to be very pleased.

This year we're having just the 4 of us (DH, me, and our 2 sons) and 2 guests (DH's bachelor friend, and one of my bachelor brothers). We're doing a very simple menu: turkey, stuffing, gravy, garlic mashed, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, Pakerhouse rolls, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Thsis is exactly what all these men asked for, and I expect they will enjoy it. We got lots of big freezer storage bags so they can take leftovers home.

Just four of us, also. But one of us loves mashed potatoes so I got a huge bag of Yukon Gold so that he can eat as many as he wants...I will need some prepared turkey gravy to supplement this dish as our 11 pound turkey won't produce that much gravy making juice! By the way, I mentioned beat salad in my previous post - of course I meant beet salad - I have been reading a biography of the Beatles, haha. We also plan to have a nice pinot noir and a gewurztraminer - both from Oregon wineries nearby - they are fantastic with turkey and all the related dishes. We try to use as many local and fresh products as we can in our meals. Fortunately we have a few good Farmers Markets that are still open this time of year.

+ Reply to Thread