+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Check the label on your frozen turkey. Lots of them are brined before they are frozen. And I think all Kosher turkeys are brined, too.

Oh yes, the cheapo store brands I buy all have some type of sodium injected into them. But I go ahead and brine anyway. It makes such a difference in how moist the turkey comes out.

SugarMama-that in awesome your leftovers held up that long!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I never realized that so many people used broth to make their gravy. My mom always used the pan drippings and flour and maybe a little water. People always comment on how great her gravy is. With all that butter and salt, it would have to be!

I also find it odd that so many recipes that I found when looking for a turkey stock recipe called for chicken or vegetable broth. It seems kind of redundant to me

My uncle is a turkey snob, so we always do a free-range organic turkey. It has to be brined or it's dry and flavorless. Because 4 people in my family can't eat turkey, we do the gravy from vegetable broth. It's okay, but it's not as good as the gravy my mom makes at Christmas with the Butterball turkey!

I'm totally in denial about the holidays. I'm not ready for summer to be over yet!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Interesting maybe it depends on the farm or region, but for the past couple of years we've gotten local free-range organic turkeys from a small butcher shop, haven't brined them, yet they were plenty moist and flavorful.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My favorite use of leftover turkey is to make it into turkey salad. I shred the turkey and blend it with mayonnaise. It makes wonderful sandwiches, especially if we have dinner rolls or flaky biscuits leftover from the Thanksgiving meal to put the turkey salad on.

One year, I tried a couple of recipes with leftover turkey. The best recipe was a Weight Watchers recipe for turkey medallions with a honey-mustard glaze. I wonder if I still have that old cookbook? I've lost track of it with the many times my family moved but it had a lot of really good recipes in it.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

I like to make jambalaya with the leftover turkey.

The turkey stock I use in two ways. For the stuffing/dressing and for the gravy. I use the drippings and make a roux. Then stock to finish off the gravy. I also have started making the stuffing in a crockpot. I hate dealing with trying to get it out of a hot bird, plus it is one last minute thing I don't have to deal with.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Interesting — maybe it depends on the farm or region, but for the past couple of years we've gotten local free-range organic turkeys from a small butcher shop, haven't brined them, yet they were plenty moist and flavorful.
    We've always gotten a Willie Bird and they're pretty bland. My uncle started brining the bird a few years ago and the difference is incredible. They often send me home with a large portion of the bird and before brining, it was a chore to eat the whole thing. Now, I always wish I had more!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We had our Thanksgiving this past weekend and I'm eating leftover turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy right now! My favorite is to mix it all up together, warm it up and eat it on a nice soft white tray bun SO yummy!!! We also make our gravy with the pan drippings and usually add some of the potato water (rather than straight tap water as it's nice and starchy lol) to it so we can make sure there's enough gravy for everyone, we have some frozen chicken stock in the freezer that my Mom made for us last time she was in town that we can add in place of chicken broth. It was our first time doing it at our house, it was really nice to have everyone over and even nicer to have a fridge full of leftovers for the week!

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    We had our Thanksgiving this past weekend and I'm eating leftover turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy right now! My favorite is to mix it all up together, warm it up and eat it on a nice soft white tray bun SO yummy!!! We also make our gravy with the pan drippings and usually add some of the potato water (rather than straight tap water as it's nice and starchy lol) to it so we can make sure there's enough gravy for everyone, we have some frozen chicken stock in the freezer that my Mom made for us last time she was in town that we can add in place of chicken broth. It was our first time doing it at our house, it was really nice to have everyone over and even nicer to have a fridge full of leftovers for week!
    It was Thanksgiving last week in Canada. Happy belated Thanksgiving, M_shelll! It sounds like you did it up like a veteran. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread