Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3232221;
    What's a "Willie Bird"?
    (It sounds kinda dirty . . .)
    Willie Bird Turkeys Welcome
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wow, those prices are high! We just made a 20 lb turkey yesterday that cost a whopping $20 and it was the BEST turkey I've ever had! It's just the cheap Safeway Manor House brand.

No kidding. You can imagine how thrilled my mother was to get the bill after offering to pay for the turkey. It's her picky baby brother (I love him, but man is he picky!) who insists on the Willie Bird even though he only eats maybe 3 slices of it. Without any hormones or even water injected into them, they taste like nothing and are really dry too. Last year was the first year it was any good. My uncle always says about Butterballs "They inject those things with water!" We keep saying "Yes, that's why they're juicy!"

Hopefully, the brining has solved the problem...of taste, if not price.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I usually cook a turkey breast for Thanksgiving since it's often just the two of us and I seriously dislike dealing with the entire bird! I do brine it though and it turns out really juicy AND since the breast is smaller, there is no problem finding room to store it in the fridge while it takes it's brine bath.

The brine that I use is basically kosher salt, garlic and a few slices of lemon in water - bring it to a boil, let it cool off and pop the bird into the bath for 24 hours or so. I'll post the exact recipe on the recipe thread soon. I have a plastic container that is big enough to brine in, but I think I am going to try those "brining bags" this year.

I do the same thing for Christmas when my parents and brother are here. I usually cook two turkey breasts then because, several years ago, we had NO leftovers and Mr. Doxie got quite upset.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Well, since literally NO ONE else at Thanksgiving wanted any of the turkey but me - oh, and my uncle, who pulled off maybe 2 slices for sandwiches - I ended up with the entire turkey. My aunt literally put the turkey in the roasting pan into a giant ziploc bag and I took the whole thing home! I ended up eating almost all of it. I was pretty proud of myself. I hate seeing food go to waste.

I did eat a lot of turkey - soup, hash, sandwiches, omelets, etc. I was pretty sick of it by the end. Still, it was free and I was poor! Still, am, come to think of it. I hope they send me home with the bird again this year!

MRD

Ellen, that cranberry sauce sounds delicious. Since I'm the only one that even likes cranberry sauce, I usually go with canned, but I think I'm going to try your recipe. I'm of the opinion that Jack Daniels makes EVERYTHING taste better. I make a bread pudding with JD sauce that is fabulous.

The chicken I brined, I did a beer brine and it was just out of this world. Alton Brown did a turkey once and he had some hoodoo way of doing it that allowed you to use a cooler so the bird didn't need to go in the fridge. That's my problem is that I have a side by side and no room to put in a bird that needs to brine for 24 hours. Maybe you can search Food network to find out what it was he engineered for his turkey. It's been so long ago, I can't remember.

We are having a couple guests this year, so I am having 7 for dinner. (I have ordered it from Publix before and we were quite happy and I didn't have to cook. One year when it was just 3 of us, I did cornish game hens)

Our menu
    Turkey (of course)
    Stuffing
    relish tray
    deviled eggs
    stuffed lettuce
    cranberry sauce
    squash casserole
    mashed potatos
    sweet potato casserole
    green beans
    Pumpkin bundt cake
    pumpkin pie
    some other pie that my daughter and husband will want, they can't decide yet, but probably apple. (I'm not a pie person)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What is stuffed lettuce?

MRD

It's a recipe my grandmother used to make every Thanksgiving and it's one of my favorite things.

Especially the next day on turkey sandwiches. But it's the "salad" course on Thanksgiving, served on a platter.

I'll post it in recipes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some of my good, good girlfriends and I are celebrating T-Day at the race track, where they lay out a really good meal. We decided that we would each buy a Thanksgiving dinner or two to some needy families and then report to the track with a minimal amount of betting money! Of course, we'll be all dressed up and cute!
    Family dinners will be that next weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3232228;
    Good Lord!!

I guess I should start raising free range turkeys.

+ Reply to Thread