+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

We used left over turkey meat and mashed potatoes to make taquitos........ they were soooo good!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I've just been doing a simple leftover bowl - stuffing and turkey heated in the microwave and then my curried cranberry sauce on top. I even made some more "stuffing" so I could keep up with the leftover turkey and cranberry sauce.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Happy to say that the last of the turkey is gone!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3762302;
    Happy to say that the last of the turkey is gone!!!!!
    Us too! It' wasn't too bad finishing up the leftovers this year. Our favorite leftover recipe was turkey burritos. If you haven't tried this yet, I highly recommend it! I will warn you - 1 is plenty and 2 is more than enough for the average person. After 2 we didn't even want any leftover pie!!!!

Turkey Burritos
    Take 1 large tortilla and slather on a layer of sweet potato pie, then spoon on the turkey (shredded or chopped) and some stuffing. Roll into burrito and place seam side down on cookie sheet. Make however many you want and bake in the oven for 20 min at 325. Dip in leftover gravy and enjoy!
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

MRD

So happy to see the turkey come out of the oven, so happy to see the last of the leftovers leave. Kind of funny if you think about.

Those turkey burritos sound good.

So who's going to start the thread for Christmas dinner?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3762349;
    So happy to see the turkey come out of the oven, so happy to see the last of the leftovers leave. Kind of funny if you think about.

Those turkey burritos sound good.

So who's going to start the thread for Christmas dinner?

YOU!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Man, that TG turkey just keeps on going! I made yet another pot of soup (that brings the count to 4!) last night - this time with some of the turkey stock.

I cooked up onions, celery and carrots with some garlic and then browned some ground turkey. I added the stock and a large can of corn and some fresh sage. It still looked like it was missing something, so I julienned some brussels sprouts and added them too. For a "non-recipe" recipe, it turned out pretty well!

I have a bit more stock left, so I may make it to FIVE pots of soup from that turkey!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanksgiving will be here before you know it, and I hope it isn't too early to bump this thread back up.

I'm a big convert to brine when it comes to turkey. Since my budget calls for a cheap frozen turkey this is the best way I've found to get a great end result. I use a basic brine of salt and water and let the turkey sit in it for a couple of days. But I have had a problem with salty drippings and found a great article on Pioneer Woman about turkey brining.

How to Control Saltiness After Brining | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

She recommends:

1. Use a fresh (i.e. non-frozen) turkey.
    2. After brining, rinse the turkey thoroughly under cold water for a few minutes.
    3. After rinsing, fill the sink with cold water and soak the turkey for fifteen minutes.
    4. While making gravy, use the lowest sodium chicken broth you can find.
    5. Boil the giblets in water until they’re cooked through, then keep the broth from the giblets and use it to thin the gravy as you cook it.

Here is a link to her turkey brine. (much more elaborate than mine! lol)
    My Favorite Turkey Brine | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I forgot to add: On the Sunday before t-day I will buy extra turkey wings and necks if I can get them, then go ahead and make my stock ahead of time. That saves me a lot of stress and one less thing to cook the day of.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I agree, brining a fresh turkey is always the best - but it's hard to resist those cheap per lb. prices offered in November on the frozen ones.

BTW, we just finished our Thanksgiving turkey from last year. Yep. Hooray for the stand-alone freezer. I'd bought a 22-lb turkey last year (hey, it was on sale!) but we only ended up eating about half of it, so I froze the leftover meat. Noticed it last week, thawed it...along with a gallon ziplock bag of dressing I'd frozen at the same time...used McCormick instant chicken gravy and made a very good casserole!

So if you're ever in doubt, turkey and dressing WILL freeze well for about a year. We had it on October 1, a great way to kick-off my favorite fall month.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread