+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Here's my favorite turkey/chicken left over recipe.

Wild Rice and Chicken Casserole

1 (6 ounce) pkg. long grain and wild rice blend
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 tsp. butter
    1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    2 cups cubed, cooked chicken or turkey

Prepare rice mix according to package directions. While rice is cooking, cook onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in soup, sour cream, wine, and curry. Stir in chicken and cooked rice. Turn into a 2 quart casserole, bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Stir before serving.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3758606;
    . . . My pumpkin pie did not turn out The crust was perfect and beautiful (never doing it homemade again!) but when we went to cut into the pie about 2 hours after I took it out of the oven it was the consistancy of pudding. I followed the recipe perfectly, so I don't know what happened to it.
    My pumpkin pie had the potential of turning out that way, too. For some reason (humidity? lack of humidity? planets in the wrong alignment?), the filling wasn't setting up, even after the maximum baking time on the recipe. So I just put foil around the edges so the crust wouldn't burn, then baked it for an additional 10 minutes until it was no longer too "jiggly" in the middle (just a little, as it continues to set while it cools). And it turned out just fine; actually, my husband said it was my best yet. Our guests from France loved it too. (I *was* holding my breath, though! )
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3758633;
    Here's my favorite turkey/chicken left over recipe.

1 (6 ounce) pkg. long grain and wild rice blend
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 tsp. butter
    1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    2 cups cubed, cooked chicken or turkey

Prepare rice mix according to package directions. While rice is cooking, cook onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in soup, sour cream, wine, and curry. Stir in chicken and cooked rice. Turn into a 2 quart casserole, bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Stir before serving.
    I am really not one for leftovers (or recipes using leftovers) but this sounds pretty good! I think I will try it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3758635;
    My pumpkin pie had the potential of turning out that way, too. For some reason (humidity? lack of humidity? planets in the wrong alignment?), the filling wasn't setting up, even after the maximum baking time on the recipe. So I just put foil around the edges so the crust wouldn't burn, then baked it for an additional 10 minutes until it was no longer too "jiggly" in the middle (just a little, as it continues to set while it cools). And it turned out just fine; actually, my husband said it was my best yet. Our guests from France loved it too. (I *was* holding my breath, though! )
    I'm glad you'res turned out Ellen! It was my first time ever baking a pie so I'm trying not to feel too bad about it. I didn't know you were supposed to stick a tooth pick in to check if it was done (though I should have had more common sense). Oh well, at least I learned something
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3758596;
    Trista, I have never understood why vegetarians want to eat something that looks and tastes like the food they have given up (tofurkey being an example). I'd much rather do fresh pasta like you had than something that's been processed to have "skin".
    I never liked turkey in the first place, but I admit I do eat some of the meat substitutes, like the faux chicken patties. It's not a case of do they taste like the real thing-I just like it to taste good. I'm not crazy about the skin, either-which is why I typically go something else. I've done pasta for the last few years, and I am thinking of maybe doing Thai sometime. Also Indian food is very good if you are a vegetarian-so you could do a world-food Thanksgiving and have it be just as fun.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I'm glad you'res turned out Ellen! It was my first time ever baking a pie so I'm trying not to feel too bad about it. I didn't know you were supposed to stick a tooth pick in to check if it was done (though I should have had more common sense). Oh well, at least I learned something
    Don't use a toothpick (that's for baked goods)...use a silver knife. It should come out fairly clean, although a little bit of custard is OK. (Use this method for any custard-type baked pie.)

So that you don't have umpteen knife slits in the pie, shake the pie gently after the initial cooking time...you'll be able to tell how much it has set.

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=Lil Bit;3758633;]Here's my favorite turkey/chicken left over recipe.

Lil Bit -- This looks delicious. I just printed it out and will try it. Thanks for sharing.

I made a variation of this turkey soup tonight for dinner:
    Next Day Turkey Soup

Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

Prep Time: 30 min
    Cook Time: 2 hr
    Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

* 2 quarts chicken broth
    * 1 turkey carcass, all meat removed
    * 1 onion, halved, plus 1 onion, minced
    * 1 carrot, halved lengthwise, plus 1 carrot, minced
    * 1 whole stalk celery, plus 1 more stalk, minced
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 3 cups dark turkey meat
    * 2 garlic cloves, smashed
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 carrot, minced
    * 1 stalk celery, minced
    * 3 cups leftover cooked Thanksgiving side vegetables (Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, green beans)
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves

Directions

Put chicken broth, turkey, onion halves, carrot halves, 1 celery stalk, and 1 bay leaf in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 1 1/2 hours. Finely dice the remaining onion, carrot and celery and reserve.

Dice the turkey meat. Make sure meat pieces are no larger than the size of a soup spoon. (If preparing soup the next day, be sure to store leftover turkey meat in an airtight container before placing it in the refrigerator, top with 1 or 2 ladles full of broth to keep meat moist.)

Before straining broth, remove large bones and carcass with tongs. Strain the broth through a sieve, covered with wet cheese cloth. Discard the solids. Transfer broth to a bowl set in a bath of ice water, which will cool the broth quickly and help keep it fresher longer. This can be done the night before and stored in the refrigerator until the next day.

In a large soup pot, heat garlic cloves in the olive oil. Allow to brown slightly and add minced carrots, celery, and onion. Sweat over medium-low heat until softened, about 7 or 8 minutes.

Dice the leftover vegetables (here Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and green beans). Add the chopped sage to the soup pot along with the turkey broth and the remaining bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. When simmering, add Brussels sprouts, green beans and diced turkey meat to the soup. Bring it back up to a simmer. Finally, add the sweet potatoes to the center, and gently push them down. Turn the heat off and cover. Allow to sit and steam for 5 to 7 minutes.

Let simmer for 5 more minutes and serve.
    Next Day Turkey Soup Recipe : Michael Chiarello : Food Network
    I made my stock differently - I don't think it's necessary to use chicken broth to make turkey stock. Since we didn't have left over veggies, I threw in a bag of frozen corn, peas, carrots and green beans. I also added some white rice to make it a little heartier. It was really delicious. I now have tons of turkey stock. I froze some in 1 and 2 cup portions. I may do some more in ice cube trays, but I haven't decided yet.

I found a turkey chowder recipe on cooks.com that I'm going to try this week. If it's a good one, I'll post it. I love soup weather!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3759450;
    I made a variation of this turkey soup tonight for dinner:
    Next Day Turkey Soup Recipe : Michael Chiarello : Food Network
    I made my stock differently - I don't think it's necessary to use chicken broth to make turkey stock. Since we didn't have left over veggies, I threw in a bag of frozen corn, peas, carrots and green beans. I also added some white rice to make it a little heartier. It was really delicious. I now have tons of turkey stock. I froze some in 1 and 2 cup portions. I may do some more in ice cube trays, but I haven't decided yet.

I found a turkey chowder recipe on cooks.com that I'm going to try this week. If it's a good one, I'll post it. I love soup weather!
    I think we just made the same soup. I didn't use a recipe for mine, but this one is darn close to what I did. But I always use sauted carrots, onions, garlic and celery in all my soups and stews, because it really adds flavor to the broth.
    I also added the leftover gravy, mashed potatos and stuffing to my broth. It all dissolved and made the broth thick and rich tasting.
    I simmered my turkey carcus in water though and not chicken stock.
    I managed to use up all the leftovers except the cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. :-)
    And the soup was DIVINE.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I WISH I'd had more TG leftovers to put in the soup! We only ended up with the turkey. Yeah, I didn't see the need to use chicken stock to make turkey stock. It certainly had plenty of flavor without it. There aren't too many different ways to do a basic turkey soup really. I did like the Michael Chiarello one because it was adaptable and I wouldn't have thought to add the fresh sage, which gave it a nice flavor. I had fresh Brussels sprouts, but didn't add them since one member of the family isn't a fan.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread