+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

My family has developed a new tradition. For the past several years, we've been buying two fried turkeys from my parents' church. They get a professional turkey frying team in and are better than any catering/restaurant place around and cheaper. We freeze one for Christmas and heat up the other for Thanksgiving. (I picked them up yesterday, so the turkeys have been parked in the refrigerator for a day.) And I make the pie. This year it's straight sweet potato, which isn't terribly different from the Libby's pumpkin recipe for the spices, but I had to cook the potatoes first to mash them up. That's why there are microwaves!

MRD

Let's talk Turkey Leftovers.

Even my picky family will eat this. And it's great for when you have leftover chicken or turkey and mashed potatos. You can also make instant mashed potatos for the topping and it still tastes great.

Potato topped Chicken a la king.

2 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. sliced green onions
    1/3 c. all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
    1/2 c. milk
    2 cups cooked cubed chicken (or turkey)
    1 cup green peas (I use frozen and thaw them)

Topping
    3-4 cups mashed potatos
    1 egg
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 tbsp, chopped green onions
    Paprika

Pre-heat oven to 350. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and cook for one min. Add flour and s & p, stir until blended. Gradually add broth and 1/2 c. milk. Cook until mixture boilss and thickens, stirring constantly. Add chicken and peas and mix well. Spoon into a 2 greased 2 quart casserole.

Warm potatos and add egg and garlic.

Spoon or pipe potatos over top of casserole. Top with green onions and paprika. Bake for 30 min. or until casserole is bubbly and potatos are light golden brown.

-------------------------------------------------
    I also boil my turkey carcus with onions, carrots, celery and garlic and a couple bay leaves, then strain it to use as soup stock.

I have added leftover stuffing to soup. It thickens it and gives the broth a great flavor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There were a couple of moments yesterday when I thought that this was the year for my Thanksgiving disaster story, but everything worked out okay in the end.

Thanksgiving was to be at my MIL's, but I was cooking the turkey here. It gets to rest on the 15-20 minute drive over there. About 40 minutes after I put it in the oven, our power blipped. All kinds of thoughts rushed through my head in the fraction of a second, but all was well and we never lost power.

Then about half an hour before it was done, my frantic MIL called. "The fire department is on the way!!" My husband finally managed to decipher that their CO detector had gone off and they'd called 911. However they didn't have any symptoms of CO poisoning so he wasn't worried. It was about 15 minutes before she called back to report that the firemen couldn't detect any CO and they thought that the backup battery in the CO detector had died, perhaps triggering the alarm. I was figuring that we'd have to move the dinner to our house and it was in no shape or form ready for company!!!!!

Whew!!! All's well that end's well!!! We had a nice time and the turkey was delicious as was the rest of the food.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3755440;
    I am also doing a (mostly) vegetarian Thanksgiving this year (and it is my first time cooking the meal for my family.) Do you have any tips? So far I am doing all of the traditional stuff except I am making a veg onion and mushroom stuffing with veg stock and no gravy- just garlic mashed potatos. For the main dish I am making a small ham (the only form of meat in the whole meal) for my dad and myself and a homemade chunky tomato soup for my stepmom (the vegetarian). She specifically requested nothing to do with Turkey because she adopted a turkey and paid to board it at a Turkey farm until it dies of natural causes. That is her way of celebrating Thanksgiving.

I will be making a pumpkin pie for the first time and I hope it comes out okay. I've found 3 different recipes and don't actually know which I will end up using yet.

Aside from the meal itself we will be watching my 2 favorite Christmas movies- Holiday Inn and White Christmas. I love the old time movies and so does my step-mom. My dad would rather be watching football but I don't have cable so he's stuck with Bing.
    Sorry I got this so late, but a lot of vegetarians do a Tofurky, which has a skin and everything but it's all tofu. I typically do pasta, though, and my boyfriend does seafood. Pasta is something that could very easily be done, too-to me the nice thing about a vegetarian Thanksgiving feast is that there's no conventions for how it is done, so you can really do what you want. Stuffing can very easily be done vegetarian; just use vegetable stock and add some veggies and fresh herbs.

For us, Thanksgiving turned out really well. We spent a few hours doing housecleaning projects and then got ready, picked my boyfriend up, and had a darned good dinner. I was so full though because I had pasta, plus he and I split an order of fries/tartar (the restaurant has a house-made tartar sauce which is the best and only I will eat), mozzarella sticks, and then a slice of turtle cheesecake (NY cheesecake covered with chocolate and caramel sauces as well as pecans, with whipped cream).
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Leftover turkey curry on rice:
    1 onion - chopped - sweat in oil
    1 T. curry paste (I use Patak's mild) - spread in pan
    1 can coconut milk - stir to mix with curry
    cubed turkey - about 1 1/2 cups
    veggies - I use peas and broccoli, but I've also used water chestnuts and baby corn

heat thoroughly and serve over rice

Both my daughters love this and request it when they're home. I usually make it with chicken, but just as good with turkey. My older daughter now has it in her cooking repetoire and her friends request it. She uses the hot curry paste.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I happened to catch Regis and Kelly this morning and they had three prize-winning chefs on who came up with recipes for turkey leftovers.

These were not just casseroles but really fantastic recipes that even I might try to make because they sounded --and looked--so delicious.

The recipes sounded like something you'd get in a gourmet restaurant but they sounded pretty easy to make.

"Chef Alessandro Stratta showcases his talents at Wynn Las Vegas as executive chef of both his namesake restaurants - Alex and Stratta. Try Alex's recipes for Potato and Turkey Fritter with Cranberry Vinaigrette and Pumpkin Pie Ravioli with Pecans and Sage

Chef Hubert Keller is best known for his restaurants; Fleur de Lys, the Burger Bar and Sleek Steakhouse & Ultra Lounge. Try Hubert's recipes for Turkey, Winter Vegetables & Mushroom "Cappuccino" with Turkey Stuffing Crostini and Pumpkin Pie Milkshake.

Chef Paul Bartolotta is one of the few recognized as an "authentic ambassador" of Italian cuisine outside of Italy, which he brings to Wynn Las Vegas in his restaurant BARTOLOTTA, Ristorante di Mare. Try Paul's recipes for Coconut-Curry Turkey "Hot Pot" and Crispy Turkey Cakes with Mushroom Gravy"

Live with Regis and Kelly - Recipes

There are other recipe links on that page too--the one for Kelly's roasted brussel sprouts with butternut squash and chestnuts sounds really good.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 11-28-2009 at 04:40 AM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3758467;
    Leftover turkey curry on rice:
    1 onion - chopped - sweat in oil
    1 T. curry paste (I use Patak's mild) - spread in pan
    1 can coconut milk - stir to mix with curry
    cubed turkey - about 1 1/2 cups
    veggies - I use peas and broccoli, but I've also used water chestnuts and baby corn

heat thoroughly and serve over rice

Both my daughters love this and request it when they're home. I usually make it with chicken, but just as good with turkey. My older daughter now has it in her cooking repetoire and her friends request it. She uses the hot curry paste.
    Hearing Turkey Curry always reminds me of Bridget Jones' Diary where she hasx to go to her mothers for the Turkey Curry Buffett. I think it' gets mentioned about 100 times in both the book and the movie.

I love curry, but no one else around here does. I may give this a try and see if I can change their mind.

Veej, glad everything was ok. We've had a couple holidays with the EMT's and a trip to the ER so I am so happy they found nothing wrong at your parents.

Trista, I have never understood why vegetarians want to eat something that looks and tastes like the food they have given up (tofurkey being an example). I'd much rather do fresh pasta like you had than something that's been processed to have "skin".
    Wind, those recipes sound wonderful.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-28-2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3758312;
    Sorry I got this so late, but a lot of vegetarians do a Tofurky, which has a skin and everything but it's all tofu. I typically do pasta, though, and my boyfriend does seafood. Pasta is something that could very easily be done, too-to me the nice thing about a vegetarian Thanksgiving feast is that there's no conventions for how it is done, so you can really do what you want. Stuffing can very easily be done vegetarian; just use vegetable stock and add some veggies and fresh herbs.

For us, Thanksgiving turned out really well. We spent a few hours doing housecleaning projects and then got ready, picked my boyfriend up, and had a darned good dinner. I was so full though because I had pasta, plus he and I split an order of fries/tartar (the restaurant has a house-made tartar sauce which is the best and only I will eat), mozzarella sticks, and then a slice of turtle cheesecake (NY cheesecake covered with chocolate and caramel sauces as well as pecans, with whipped cream).
    It sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving! Pasta is always good. Usually we do spaghetti and put some of the Morning Star crumbles into the sauce to give it some texture for our holidays. Last Thanksgiving we did baked potatoes with veggie chili or cheese and broccoli.

I've never tried tofurky but I've heard it mentioned several times. I ended up just making a tomato soup, garlic mashed potatos, veggie stuffing, scalloped corn, green bean casserole and a pumpkin pie.

My pumpkin pie did not turn out The crust was perfect and beautiful (never doing it homemade again!) but when we went to cut into the pie about 2 hours after I took it out of the oven it was the consistancy of pudding. I followed the recipe perfectly, so I don't know what happened to it.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

FORT Fogey

CaliLily--Hi.

What are Morning Star crumbles? Thanks for info.

They are a soy meat substitute that has the consistancy of ground beef.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread