+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Tom Colicchio's turkey (from a 11/2005 Bon Appetit) is the best of the many versions I've made over the years.

Tom Colicchio's Herb-Butter Turkey Recipe at Epicurious.com

Looks, tastes amazing. And the gravy is the reason to make it. Yum yum yum. Too bad we're traveling this year, and I'm not the chef!

Not letting a turkey rest for half hour before slicing/serving is probably the #1 cause of dry turkey on the plate. Juices have to set.
    Last edited by jlccaz; 11-25-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Cranberry sauce, check. Two chocolate mousse pies, check. On to the sweet potato casserole.

I let my turkey brown first, then loosely tent it with foil. I've never basted one yet, and they've all been tender, juicy and tasty.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I use the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe too, nennie. Sometimes I double the recipe on the Libby's can for pumpkin pie and spread it out into a 9X13 pan. I just cut it in squares, and there's much more to serve a crowd.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3757287;
    I use the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe too, nennie. Sometimes I double the recipe on the Libby's can for pumpkin pie and spread it out into a 9X13 pan. I just cut it in squares, and there's much more to serve a crowd.
    I have wondered about doing that. I tried an off brand of pumpkin one time and didn't like it so I stay with Libby's.

MRD

My precooked dinner is here and waiting to get reheated tomorrow. 10 pound turkey, tray of dressing, tray of mashed potatos, tray of sweet potato casserole, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, whipped cream, brown and serve rolls and my nod to something healthy, fresh green beans. Total for all that at Publix? approx. $65.00.
    I honestly don't think I could have bought all the ingredients to make all that stuff myself for that.
    I have never been so excited to NOT cook. I usually LOVE cooking for TG and start days in advance. But this year, this is perfect for us and where we are right now.
    Now if I can just convince the family that we can skip Christmas and I'd be set.

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow. I hope all your birds turn out juicy and perfectly done, all casseroles are fabulous, all desserts are fantastic and calorie free!!! And that your family is all on their best behavior and they ALL offer to help clean up while you, the cook, gets to sit down and watch either Football or the dog show.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

buglover-don't know if you will see this but you should cook your turkey about 20 minutes at 325-350 per pound. So 4 hours at your temp is much too long. You could reduce the temp to 300 I suppose...or just cook it about 2 hours or so. It also will add cooking time if you stuff your bird.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;3757392;
    I have wondered about doing that. I tried an off brand of pumpkin one time and didn't like it so I stay with Libby's.
    The only thing I do different if I double the recipe and put it into a 9x13 pan, is I add a little less milk to the pie filling. The 'pie in a pan' will bake up a little firmer, but that's what you want when you cut into squares.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Have a fun Thanksgiving everyone I cook my turkey very similarly to the above mentioned methods, and sometimes if the wings or legs are browning too quickly, I put strips of bacon on them. It keeps them from browning and also bastes them at the same time. When the bacon is oven-roasted and crispy, the kids run from all over the house to eat it when I peel it off.

FORT Fogey

Happy Thanksgiving and many well-cooked meals for everyone!

I let my local excellent produce store cook our TG meal also. They do it so much better than I can--and I am a whiz at re-heating!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3757455;
    Have a fun Thanksgiving everyone I cook my turkey very similarly to the above mentioned methods, and sometimes if the wings or legs are browning too quickly, I put strips of bacon on them. It keeps them from browning and also bastes them at the same time. When the bacon is oven-roasted and crispy, the kids run from all over the house to eat it when I peel it off.
    OMG!!! I'm almost sorry I'm not cooking the turkey tomorrow.

That is a GREAT idea!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread