+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

MRD

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3756568;
    Hee, hee... I am imagining that picture - like an Ann Geddes photo gone wrong. (or just right, depending on your sense of humor)
    Never thought of it that way.
    The baby is now 8 years old and wouldn't fit in the pan or the oven anymore.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I need some advice from you all who have cooked many turkeys. We have a 10 pound turkey and my hubby didn't get any oven bags. Can you keep a bird moist if cooked at 325 for about 4 hours if you keep basting it?
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3756579;
    I need some advice from you all who have cooked many turkeys. We have a 10 pound turkey and my hubby didn't get any oven bags. Can you keep a bird moist if cooked at 325 for about 4 hours if you keep basting it?
    Yes and cover with foil if the skin starts to get too brown.

In fact, I would make a foil tent and cook it the first couple hours like that. You don't have to make a seal with the foil, just tent it over the bird so you can continue to baste. Then remove and let it brown.

Sure. I've never used an oven bag for my turkeys, and they come out fine.

This year, I'm going to follow Elise's Mom's recipe at elise.com. She says to cook it upside down for the entire time (and starts it at 400F for 1/2 hr, then drops it to 350F for the next 2 hrs, then drops it to 225 for the remainder of the time. For a 10-lb bird, that should be about another 15 minutes. In the past, I've started the turkey upside down and then flipped it after 1/2 hr, but it's such a pain to flip at that point...

Thanks! It has been years since I've hosted Thanksgiving so I'm a little nervous!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3756583;
    Thanks! It has been years since I've hosted Thanksgiving so I'm a little nervous!!
    Making a turkey is very easy, I know its frightening for some. I put it in a pan, stuff it, I rub a little butter all around the body, lots of seasoning, my favourite is Montreal Steak Spice, add 2 cups of chicken broth, or water to the pan, I wrap a little piece of foil on the end of the legs, make a foil tent, make sure there are no gaps anywhere. I bake mine at 300. I baste it once maybe twice, then bake it uncovered for the last 1/2 hour or 1hr until I like the looks of it, depending how big it is, I count on 5 hrs but at a lower temp. While its baking uncovered, that's when I baste it several times. I take it out and let it sit while I'm getting everything else ready into serving plates.

I like it carved at the table. I'll have another turkey platter handy right next to it and just carve away! We had our T/Giving the middle of October, all this talk makes me want to cook another one! I like to cook a turkey a couple of times a year. Its nice the end of Jan early Feb. I'm Italian, we don't have turkey at Christmas so by Jan Feb I'm ready to make another one.

Don't be nervous!
    I have never had a turkey fiasco. If I'm having dinner somewhere else, mother, sister, etc, I'm always the turkey maker

Haha, some great stories here. I probably told this one last year, but I'll tell it again: my sister was studying in Paris two years ago, and we rented an apartment for Thanksgiving week. We'd preordered a turkey from one of the few places in Paris that carried them, and we'd planned on hosting dinner for several of the kids in my sister's program. First off, two days before we got to France, the metro workers went on strike. This went on until the last full day of our ten day trip. Well, on Thanksgiving, just a normal Thursday for the French, of course, the gas company decides to strike in sympathy with the metro workers, and they cut the gas to the entire arrondissement. No hot water, no stove, no oven. We ended up losing the deposit on the turkey, obviously, and we took everyone out for dinner instead.

That's terrible! Hopefully you still have a good Thanksgiving and trip through all of the problems.

2 years ago I went to my boyfriends (now ex boyfriend) family's Thanksgiving hosted by his aunt. He told me it was going to be me, him, his parents, brother, aunt and uncle and grandma and grandpa. I was a bit intimidated at meeting the whole family so right off the bat I was nervous. We got to his aunts (who lives in a small town an hour away) only to discover that he had only mentioned a FEW of his relatives. His mom is one of 9 children and all of them were there with their spouses and 2-5 children each. All in all there were 60 family members!!! That plus the fact that I was the first girlfriend he had ever brought home to meet the family made for one interesting holiday. At one point his very eccentric uncle Blake sat on my lap and put his arms around me at the dinner table in front of EVERYONE. The food was great and I am able to laugh about it now but I was litterally mortified when he did that. On the drive home his mom ended the 'perfect' day by announcing she had bought a chocolate fountain (the kind people use at weddings) and I (not we, I) could use it whenever I wanted... She was trying to fish out how close we were to getting engaged...

I saw a photo of a baby in a roasting pan (online); it was a while back. Maybe it was your friend's baby, mrd.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

MRD

Could be Velvet.

Guardian Angel, I too use Montreal Steak Seasoning on just about everything. IT's great on oven roasted veggies too.

+ Reply to Thread