+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3755432;
    Well, it will be the same as last year - we are hosting the dinner. Which translates to -- we will do the majority of the cooking (the turkey is done by my brother in law) and it remains to be seen if I will do all of the clean up again this year. Last year, b-i-l borrowed our roasting pan for the turkey. No big deal - I was glad I didn't have to smell the turkey cooking in my oven all morning. But, when everyone went home... I found the roasting pan in my laundry room with the turkey carcass in it One more thing for me to clean up, just when I thought I was done. Oy vey... Don't get me wrong, DH and I love doing the cooking/baking together, but DH isn't too keen on the clean up part. He is famous for saying "leave it for later".... and "later" never seems to come.
    Sounds like my house except I get to do all the cooking and the majority of the cleaning. Dh will take the carcass out to the dogs and will take the trash out.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3231945;
    Ok, this is going to sound gross but we have been doing it for at least 20 years and it comes out the BEST!!! Lather the turkey with mayonnaise, lots of mayonnaise! Use only Best Foods or Hellmans. The egg yolks in the mayonnaise seal the pores of the turkey and the oil crisps the skin. We made one yesterday using this method and the while meat was so tender and moist! I kid you not!!! The only seasoning you need is sea salt or kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Try it!!!
    And you just bake the turkey with this method? I may try this. It sounds really good.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Doxie, I made your stuffed mushrooms last year and my kids are requesting them again this year.

My culinary student daughter is home. We went shopping for the week's meals including TG yesterday. We got a small ham, a small turkey, turkey legs for an impossible gravy she's starting the day before, a small pork loin, steaks for steak bernaise tonight, mushrooms for stuffed mushroom caps, quinoa, fresh tarragon, a huge bulb of garlic, wine, lemons, chef's potatoes, whipping cream, heavy cream, butter, butter, and more butter. Good thing I lost 5 lbs with the flu. I don't have to do any of the cooking myself.
    Count your blessings!

Can I come spend the week with you Gut?

MRD

Unk and I are on the next flight up. Can you pick us up at the airport?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Anyone have a recipe or tips for whole wheat rolls? I have my own grinder and am using a hard red wheat. In years past have always used a ratio of 1/2 whole wheat to 1/2 all purpose flour. But I'm thinking of using more of the whole wheat this time. PLUS this is my first time using the red wheat. So any advice would be appreciated.

Also need a recipe for some kind of cranberry sauce/relish? using splenda.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Oh, I remember the food & health thread had a few cranberry recipies posted recently... I'm guessing you could substitute splenda for the ones calling for sugar. I can't help at all with the wheat rolls, but that sure sounds healthy and delish.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3755440;
    I will be making a pumpkin pie for the first time and I hope it comes out okay. I've found 3 different recipes and don't actually know which I will end up using yet.
    Are you going to cook the pumpkin yourself or use canned? Since I do most (aka ALL) of the cooking I have always used my mom's method: Buy a can of Libby's pumpkin and use the recipe on the side of the can! It is the pie my kiddos like, so if it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3756251;
    Are you going to cook the pumpkin yourself or use canned? Since I do most (aka ALL) of the cooking I have always used my mom's method: Buy a can of Libby's pumpkin and use the recipe on the side of the can! It is the pie my kiddos like, so if it ain't broke...
    Thats the recipe I use also and I never have any leftovers.

+ Reply to Thread