+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

After reading this thread, I've been making some isolated TG treats. Last week I made cranberry pudding. This week I'm making curried whole cranberry/walnut sauce (with just a little honey). I could eat that every day of my life. So good. Maybe I'll make a pumpkin pie next week and bring it in for my team. Otherwise I'll eat the whole thing myself.
    Count your blessings!

My dad just told me that he got us tickets to the preaseason NIT at Madison Square Garden for the night before Thanksgiving! So I'm sure we'll cut a few veggies out, as Wednesday night is usually a big prep night for us, but that's more than ok with me!

With one week to go, what are everyone's plans?

We do the every-other-year-thing with my family and my in-laws, and this is the year for the in-laws. Despite being overwhelmed with circumstances in her life, my MIL insisted on hosting it this year, but when I volunteered to cook the turkey at my house and let it "rest" during the 20 minute trip to her house, she took me up on it!!!! It was actually a devious offer on my part, because I knew that if she cooked it, I'd just end up going over to help her clean it and get it in the oven anyway. This way I save the 40 minutes of travel time early in the morning.

She asked me yesterday to plan the rest of the menu too, so I emailed out a tentative menu to her and my SIL last night and am waiting to see if there are any suggestions from them.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

We're doing something similar. Taking the meal to my in-laws to try to make it as close to a "regular" traditional holiday while the family is going through some overwhelming circumstances (to borrow your phrasing).
    Good idea about emailing a tentative menu. I've asked for input from my bunch, but everyone is so nice they don't want to make "requests". Your idea may bring more feedback, so I may borrow that.

ETA- I just read the opening post in this thread, mentioning funny stories. The first time we hosted Thanksgiving at our house, I prepared a turkey for hubby to fry. I left one of the bags in, not realizing there were two. Hubby couldn't figure out why the thing wouldn't drain properly when pulled up, but it did much better once my BIL finally discovered and removed the crispy-fried bag of "parts". I'm sure everyone was probably scared of what I'd done to the rest of the meal, but bless my hubby's family's hearts, they took it all in stride and made me feel like it was a successful dinner.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 11-19-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3753583;
    Good idea about emailing a tentative menu. I've asked for input from my bunch, but everyone is so nice they don't want to make "requests". Your idea may bring more feedback, so I may borrow that.
    Before I put together the menu, I asked my MIL & SIL to list their family's "must have" dishes.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

That's a smart way to go about it, more about making a list instead of making a request.
    remember to play

Exactly, because not everybody likes all the "traditional" stuff.

I actually am having an interesting Thanksgiving, because I am going out to eat with my family and my boyfriend is coming along (meeting my parents) and then at some point, he and I are going over to his friend's parents house because they do a vegetarian Thanksgiving, and I am veg and he is seafood-only.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Well, both of our favorite college basketball teams made the NIT semis, so it will be a late night on Wednesday-- we'll probably get home at 1:30 or so. Small dinner. I'm ready for the Christmas season.

Well, it will be the same as last year - we are hosting the dinner. Which translates to -- we will do the majority of the cooking (the turkey is done by my brother in law) and it remains to be seen if I will do all of the clean up again this year. Last year, b-i-l borrowed our roasting pan for the turkey. No big deal - I was glad I didn't have to smell the turkey cooking in my oven all morning. But, when everyone went home... I found the roasting pan in my laundry room with the turkey carcass in it One more thing for me to clean up, just when I thought I was done. Oy vey... Don't get me wrong, DH and I love doing the cooking/baking together, but DH isn't too keen on the clean up part. He is famous for saying "leave it for later".... and "later" never seems to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3753894;
    Exactly, because not everybody likes all the "traditional" stuff.

I actually am having an interesting Thanksgiving, because I am going out to eat with my family and my boyfriend is coming along (meeting my parents) and then at some point, he and I are going over to his friend's parents house because they do a vegetarian Thanksgiving, and I am veg and he is seafood-only.
    I am also doing a (mostly) vegetarian Thanksgiving this year (and it is my first time cooking the meal for my family.) Do you have any tips? So far I am doing all of the traditional stuff except I am making a veg onion and mushroom stuffing with veg stock and no gravy- just garlic mashed potatos. For the main dish I am making a small ham (the only form of meat in the whole meal) for my dad and myself and a homemade chunky tomato soup for my stepmom (the vegetarian). She specifically requested nothing to do with Turkey because she adopted a turkey and paid to board it at a Turkey farm until it dies of natural causes. That is her way of celebrating Thanksgiving.

I will be making a pumpkin pie for the first time and I hope it comes out okay. I've found 3 different recipes and don't actually know which I will end up using yet.

Aside from the meal itself we will be watching my 2 favorite Christmas movies- Holiday Inn and White Christmas. I love the old time movies and so does my step-mom. My dad would rather be watching football but I don't have cable so he's stuck with Bing.
    Last edited by CaliLily; 11-23-2009 at 11:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread