+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

There are some good sounding low carb Thanksgiving recipes here:

Low Carb Thanksgiving - Menus and Recipes for a Low CarbThanksgiving

Thanks for the link Bunny555 I will most certainly check it out.

just call me Debbie Downer tonight.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3730774;
    I'm actually dreading T-day this year. About the only low carb food would be turkey. Mashed potatos, cornbread stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, butterhorns are all my absolute FAVS. I'll figure it out but for now..dreading T-day.
    Do mashed califlower instead of potatos. We actually like that a lot here.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3731200;
    Do mashed califlower instead of potatos. We actually like that a lot here.
    mmmm.. me too!

I'm not at all in the mood for Thanksgiving and Christmas yet planning yet, I'm still in denial that it's fall. lol.

MRD

Livin, I talked to a friend of mine that is diabetic and he says that Thanksgiving used to be very hard for him, but now, his wife makes fresh green beans and a healthy salad and he will eat a good size helping of those and turkey and then eat much smaller portions of stuffing, mashed potatos, etc.
    Says he can still eat the good stuff, just not as much of it and balances it out by eating more of the healthy foods. And she makes a sugar free pumpkin pie.

Being diabetic myself, I make a sugar free pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, too. This way, you feel like you aren't totally deprived and get to have dessert, too. I've found the more spices (cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cloves) you use in this pie, the better. It masks the Splenda in it real well.
    "Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Gosh, we haven't cooked for Thanksgiving in several years. We go out to eat, because it saves us the hassle, and the last few years I had to open on Black Friday. Everyone gets what they want, and we can be relaxed-my mum doesn't have to slave in the kitchen all day, because we did holidays with my dad's parents (my dad does not get along with my mum's family) and she had to do all the cooking. Usually someone gets the "traditional turkey dinner", my brother gets prime rib, someone gets steak, and then I get a pasta dish. Also fried mozzarella and so forth.

The one thing I used to love was stuffing, but I've kind of gotten over that. I never really liked turkey (and now I don't eat meat) so we would do rotisserie chicken for me (when I ate meat) and then in later years it became just loading up on side dishes and what not.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

We had decided that this year because everyone is so loaded down with school and work, that we are going to buy our dinner from a resturant we like. They have a package with a small turkey, mashed potatos, dressing, green beans, rolls and pie. I may add a couple things, but not much. AND I figured out it's going to be cheaper than what I usually spend and save me tons of cooking time. And this way, we will still have the traditional dinner, still have leftovers and I don't have to spend days. Yes, days, cooking.

Not sure what we're doing this year, but I assume we'll be making dinner at home as usual. The only part of the meal that I have really missed when we've traveled is dessert. I could take or leave the rest. I'm working the day after Thanksgiving, which I don't mind too much as its a half day for us.

I do always look forward to the Parade (for me, the Christmas season starts when Santa comes down Broadway in his sleigh), and the dog show they televise after, and the football games. Especially with my Giants playing this year.

And the weekend afterward is great, when we start to decorate for Christmas, and Dad and I put up the outdoor lights as has become tradition.

MRD

I love the parade too. But my favorite part is the Rockettes and I just found out they are coming here in Dec. I am going to check on ticket prices.

+ Reply to Thread