+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3242562;
    We never had green bean casserole in my family EVER. It wasn't until my mom and grandmother had passed that I started making it and then I was fascinated by it for a few years. Now, meh, not so much.
    Love, love, love green bean casserole! I made it this year for us as well as for the tailgaters. We had a huge pot luck down at the stadium for the UT / A&M game on Thanksgiving. There were tons of food and we fed some homeless people that wandered in. No one was turned away and we had plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3243507;
    This year I made corn pudding and it was a huge hit. We had fresh corn in the freezer that we put up last summer, so the corn tasted especially fresh and flavorful!
    We always have corn casserole for Thanksgiving that someone is always appointed to make. Just seems like a classic holiday dish. It's funny how certain people are "known" for their signature dishes at a holiday.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3729795;
    We always have corn casserole for Thanksgiving that someone is always appointed to make. Just seems like a classic holiday dish. It's funny how certain people are "known" for their signature dishes at a holiday.
    I love corn dishes. Can you post your recipe in the recipe thread?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

It is getting close to 'that time of year', isn't it?

Love corn pudding, but I'm the only one who does. I am also the only one who likes sweet potatoes.

Our MUST HAVE dish . . . . a broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix with cream of mushroom soup and Swiss cheese, topped with those crunchy French fried Onions.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

MRD

You know, I was just thinking the same thing and as most of us around here are going to have to work the day and weekend after, I"m wondering this year as it's just the 4 of us that maybe we could go out, or just order a meal from a grocery store and not have to spend hours cooking. I haven't brought this up with the family yet, so don't know the reaction.
    Our one must have dish is squash casserole.

I love corn pudding too, but I too am the only one that likes it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Since my family has a huge reunion celebration in Ohio and by contract I can't leave, my tradition was always to get lots of Chinese take-out the night before and heat it up for TG. Then 3 years ago, I decided to go all out and make myself the traditional meal with all the trimmings. Then the next year, Dan, the exchange student was here, so I made it all again for him so he could have the cultural experience. The stuffing mystified him. Then last year my oldest daughter couldn't make it to Ohio so we had a condensed version of just the things she deemed necessary. So this year I think I'll go back to Chinese.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3730435;
    Since my family has a huge reunion celebration in Ohio and by contract I can't leave, my tradition was always to get lots of Chinese take-out the night before and heat it up for TG. Then 3 years ago, I decided to go all out and make myself the traditional meal with all the trimmings. Then the next year, Dan, the exchange student was here, so I made it all again for him so he could have the cultural experience. The stuffing mystified him. Then last year my oldest daughter couldn't make it to Ohio so we had a condensed version of just the things she deemed necessary. So this year I think I'll go back to Chinese.
    That makes me think of the movie A Christmas STory where they have to eat Chinese for Christmas dinner after the dogs eat the turkey.

I've done cornish game hens on Tgiving before when it was just 3 of us.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3730062;
    I love corn dishes. Can you post your recipe in the recipe thread?
    Sure. Will post it there right now.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3729795;
    We have it every Thanksgiving too. I actually did it in the crockpot last year to free up the oven for other things and it came out great.

I'm actually dreading T-day this year. About the only low carb food would be turkey. Mashed potatos, cornbread stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, butterhorns are all my absolute FAVS. I'll figure it out but for now..dreading T-day.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread