+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I've ordered the Turkey dinner for 6 of us from whole foods....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3232023;
    Regarding MRD's Canadian Thanksgiving: Originally, thanks was given at the end of the Harvest season. Since our Harvest season generally ends before yours, we celebrate Thanksgiving before.
    I had a Canadian over for our early Thanksgiving dinner last night and I asked her about your early Thanksgiving and that was the exact answer she gave me. I was going to post it but forgot! Thanks!

I made my own cranberry sauce for the first time last year as well. I used a recipe from Epicurioss and it was to die for tasty. I'll post it in the recipes thread.
    Last edited by Bunny555; 11-10-2008 at 08:36 PM.
    CYA

I'm tempted to order one from the store this year. We always have dinner at my aunt's and we don't get leftovers. I've tried making my own turkey but it never turns out well. Easier to have someone else do it.

I'll be cooking up a couple of hundred lbs. of turkey for a few of my closest friends. I'll be serving up turkey dinner at the restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3231773;
    . . . if you don't make your own cranberry sauce, you should really give it a try. I only started making fresh a couple of years ago. It is so simple, boil one cup of sugar with one cup of water...add one bag of cranberries and cook for 10 minutes. . .
    My twist on this is to substitute the cup of water for 3/4 cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice and 1/4 cup of Jack Daniels. After cooking, remove from heat and stir in zest of one orange.

This was a huge hit last T-giving! Everyone raved about the flavor and tried to guess the "secret ingredient." They easily identified the O.J. and zest, but were stumped on the J.D. -- a quarter cup is kicky enough to add depth, but subtle enough to not scream, "I'm booze!"
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We can't make room in our side by side fridge for a 5 gallon bucket with a turkey in it... so we just place it on the porch or in the garage overnight. It's cold enough here to do the trick.

Also, has anyone ever brined in Orange Juice? That's what I do *mouth waters*
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

We once tried a brine recipe from Wolfgang Puck (I believe). It was a great turkey, but quite expensive and thus one that we haven't repeated.

My uncle (we always do Thanksgiving with my aunt & uncle) will only have a Willie Bird, so we've been suffering through dry, tasteless turkey for years. Well, last year, he brined the bird and it was fantastic! I couldn't believe the difference. I told him he needs to do it like that every year! Since most of the family doesn't actually eat much turkey, I generally get sent home with the left-overs. Last year, I was actually happy about that!

My cousin always makes cranberry chutney. She gave me the recipe once, but it was way too complicated for me!

Every year on Christmas, my mom makes a turkey with all the fixings to make up for the Willie Bird at Thanksgiving
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

What's a "Willie Bird"?
    (It sounds kinda dirty . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread