+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

The roasted asparagus that a few have mentioned sounds really good! We don't usually do asparagus, but I love it (I usually use the Barefoot Contessa recipe with parmesan and lemon juice)... may have to suggest that one next year. As for the casseroles, we haven't done the green bean casserole in years, but we've done a broccoli and cheese casserole the last few Thanksgivings. Anyone else do that one?

The one thing, besides the turkey, that my kids insist on every year is the green bean casserole. They did the bulk of the cooking this year, as I'm not too steady on my feet yet, and doubled the recipe. It's nearly gone.

MRD

My grandmother used to do a broccoli and cheese casserole on Thanksgiving. I haven 't made it in years.

I still make her squash casserole although I'm about the only one that eats it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Did anyone else who brined their turkey have a problem with the dripping beings super salty? It had to have been the drippings because I did not add any salt at all to the gravy. I ened up adding probably 2 quarts of stock (good thing I had it) in order to reduce the salt flavor. So end result being, we had almost 3 quarts of gravy.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3242655;
    The one thing, besides the turkey, that my kids insist on every year is the green bean casserole. They did the bulk of the cooking this year, as I'm not too steady on my feet yet, and doubled the recipe. It's nearly gone.

We have to have it, too. My grandma made the best green bean casserole. When she died, it fell upon my sister to make it. I still love it.

MRD

I used my drippings for gravy and they were not salty. I didn't add any more salt to them though. My family did say it was the best gravy I've made. I did add a bit of cream to mine though.

Next time, put the drippings in a small sauce pan and throw i a couple peeled, chopped potatos and let them cook for a few minutes. The potatos will absorb the salt
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I went and bought a turkey breast, bone and all at the supermarket this weekend because they were on clearance and the butcher cut everything up. I have it in the oven now with garlic, salt and pepper, a little butter under the skin and am hoping it turns out good. I'm not a great turkey cooker!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Newbie

I just got home after a long weekend away for Thanksgiving and wanted to post some thoughts on the meal we had. First things first though:

1) Am I the only one who thought lildago's blackened turkey actually looked yummy? I can imagine popping some of the skin into my mouth. Yum!
    2) When I brine my turkey, the gravy comes out saltier than if I don't, but not overly so. Three quarts of gravy = barely enough.
    3) Buglover, hope your turkey breast turned out good.

Anyway, we spent Thanksgiving out of town with my daughter's future in-laws. It was the first time I've ever not spent Thanksgiving with my dad. They did things quite a bit differently than we do. Dinner started right when the guests arrived at 1pm. It was a potluck and everyone brought their food ready to serve. I liked this. We weren't all full of appetizers when dinner was served and we hung out for hours afterwards which left time for a round of pie and then an encore round of turkey, potatoes, gravy, etc.

There were no yams. The green bean casserole was very good. It had Swiss cheese and lots of it. The roast turkey was made the day before but was delicious and heated up very nicely. There was also a smoked turkey which was delicious. There was waaaay too much pie. The family favorite is grandma's berry pie. I've never had berry pie at Thanksgiving. In all, there were at least 9 pies - 4 pumpkin, 2 apple, 2 berry, and a pecan pie. This was for 20 people. Yes, we had leftovers.

Lots of fun, wonderful people, and delicious food, but I look forward to spending the holiday with *my* family next year.
    Last edited by Keymaster; 12-01-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Fix a smiley

Keymaster - It sounds like you had a nice time. It's always interesting to see how others celebrate the holiday. I like the idea of no appetizers. This year, no one could eat the delicious meal in front of us because of the appetizers! I actually didn't eat turkey except for a bite or two until the next day. We had a turkey roulade and it was so delicious, I think we might make it for our next book club meeting.

This year I made corn pudding and it was a huge hit. We had fresh corn in the freezer that we put up last summer, so the corn tasted especially fresh and flavorful!

+ Reply to Thread