+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

We had Turkey Roulade from Ina Garten's new cookbook....it was delicious!!!!
    I am stuffed!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Oh, lil, I'm sorry about your turkey! As I think I mentioned upthread, we picked up two fried turkeys from the church (a Knights of Columbus fund raiser). I got them yesterday so all we had to do is re-heat the one for tonight. The second is parked in my freezer until Christmas. It was perfect. We had the turkey, roasted asparagus, sweet potatoes in brown sugar (no marshmallows, please!), Waldorf salad, and fresh cranberry relish. Oh, and the pie I made too. I've just gotten home (we do Thanksgiving dinner at actual dinner time) because I stayed late to boil the carcass and make stock for some turkey gumbo down the road. Since there were just 4 of us at dinner, there are tons of leftovers. Turkey sandwiches for weeks! Of course, I don't think I really need to eat for about five days after dinner tonight!

MRD

Actually the drug addict was on her best behavior. We had a very nice dinner. The 5 year old was a whiney, bratty pain. Nothing like she usually is, but I attribute her behavior to mom being around. Apparantly when mom does show up, the child misbehaves and they let her. Usually at my house, she's friendly and fun and likes to help. Not yesterday. But she did color me a picture to put on my fridge.

It really was a fairly nice day and because of the bratty child behavior, they didn't stay long after we ate.

We did eat at 2 (my husband likes to eat early, so he can eat again before bed. )
    I ate at 2 and didn't eat again except for a small piece of cake around 7.

The turkey got rave reviews, so I will be brining it again in coming years.

And despite the pie mishap, the replacement one I made turned out well and everyone enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 11-28-2008 at 11:06 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My sister-in-law made green bean casserole. I know it's a basic Thanksgiving tradition but I'd never had it before. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with it after all the build up. Other than that, the dinner was delicious (turkey AND ham!) and I had a good visit with the ex's family. And my cherry cobbler (the most easy-peasy dessert ever) was a huge hit!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

We never had green bean casserole in my family EVER. It wasn't until my mom and grandmother had passed that I started making it and then I was fascinated by it for a few years. Now, meh, not so much.

I can't stand the traditional green bean salad with mushroom soup or french onions on top(although I love the onions). Ours has corn, sour cream, cream of celery soup, and cheese in it with a crushed Ritz cracker topping.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

I pretty much just like the onions too. I make a crumb coating with them, instant mashed potato flakes, parmesan cheese and bread crumbs to make baked chicken and it's yummy.

ETA: My biggest issue is with the canned green beans. I like the onions and soup. Can't stand canned green beans.

I've never understood the green bean casserole craze. I'm thinking its a huge marketing ploy by durkee onions to sell their product. Now it's become popular.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Actually I think the Campbell's soup company is the responsible party for the green bean casserole craze. It debuted in the 50's I believe. (I actually saw something about it's origins on a food network show a while back)

We had asparagus roasted with olive oil and sea salt served with shaved parmesan and a spinach gratin. Beats green bean casserole anyday! We also began our meal with a poached pear with cranberries on a bed of arugula. Delicious!!!

+ Reply to Thread