+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

My sister brined her turkey which is presently cooking at her house. I'll post the brine recipe if it turns out to be good.

I made mashed potatoes last night, started a chocolate meringue pie last night which I finished this morning, and presently have scalloped potatoes in the oven. We're packing up the potatoes and pie and headed over to her house in about an hour.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I hope everyone's meals turned out fine. I got to make 15 gallons of giblet gravy this morning while my 2 prep cooks handled putting everything together. Lot's of compliments, no complaints at all. Turned out to be a good day.

My stepfather injected our turkey with a Cajun marinade and got together with his brothers last night to fry it. One problem...they were a little more attentive to the beer keg than Thanksgiving dinner.

Fortunately for us, we also bought a ham
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I swear, that burned bird is so freaky-looking I'm almost scared into turning vegetarian.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

That is one burnt bird!!!!!

I made the make ahead mashed potatoes last night. Instead of baking them today, I put them in the crock pot to reheat them. They were so good. Thanks to shrinking violet for posting the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;3237331;
    I love reading Pioneer Woman's recipes, but they are way too fat and calorie-laden.

Here is my mashed potato recipe. I always make it the day before, and it's really tasty. It's a trade-off with the butter in this recipe, though, as it has both cream cheese and sour cream! It doesn't need any additional milk--as in half-and-half, so that's a plus.

Make-Ahead Whipped Potatoes

10 large potatoes (Yukon Gold are the best), cooked
    1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    c. butter (half a stick)
    2 T dried minced onion (I use a good sprinkle of onion powder instead)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Paprika
    2 T melted butter (to drizzle on top)

In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add cream cheese, sour cream, cup butter and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and drizzle the melted butter over the top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 minutes longer.

If potatoes are made ahead and refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3242336;
    I hope everyone's meals turned out fine. I got to make 15 gallons of giblet gravy this morning while my 2 prep cooks handled putting everything together. Lot's of compliments, no complaints at all. Turned out to be a good day.
    Good to read about your good day Unklescott.

Whole Foods did our dinner just great! From the Diestel roasted turkey to the cranberry relish, to the stuffing, etc., it was an excellent dinner package.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3242339;
    My stepfather injected our turkey with a Cajun marinade and got together with his brothers last night to fry it. One problem...they were a little more attentive to the beer keg than Thanksgiving dinner.

Fortunately for us, we also bought a ham

Blackened Turkey? My dad used to make "blackened pig" and "blackened cow" when we were kids.

I'm glad you had a ham!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3242242;
    That's pretty funny! Good luck with your cooking adventures today. Let me know what you brined your turkey with. Honestly, I have never heard about the brining before and am really interested to try it. I have been forbidden to mess with Christmas, but plan on trying it for Easter.
    Try it on a chicken. I did a beer brined chicken the first time I brined and it was DIVINE. With a chicken it only takes a 2-4 hours. You'll love it.

We had a day. I'm beat, but I will post more about it later.

Hope everyone's dinne was fabulous. Ours was great. The turkey tasted wonderful.
    I made my brine with salt, sugar, water, lemons, fresh thyme, peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves.

OMG, Lildago, that is a scary looking bird. thank goodness for ham.

Well after everyone ate and the company left, we gave the dogs their turkey dinner. Afterwards it looked as if a turkey bomb had gone off and left no survivors. Hubby asleep on the bed. Daughter asleep in her bed. Her boyfriend asleep on the sofa, Rosie asleep in her bed and Waldo passed out and snoring so loud I couldn't hear the dog show I had Tivoed. Bogie tried really hard to stay awake and watch the dog show with me, but he was sitting next to me and his eyes kept closing and he'd snap awake. Finally he layed down and took a nap. I cooked for 2 freaking days and I'm the only one that didn't get to nap.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-27-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3242363;
    From the Diestel roasted turkey to the cranberry relish, to the stuffing, etc., it was an excellent dinner package.
    When I first read that, I thought it said diesel roasted turkey!

We had done a good bit of work ahead of time, so today was pretty calm and civilized-- we had cheese and crackers and veggies and dip early afternoonish, dinner was on the table at 3 as planned (possibly for the first time ever), and we reconvened afterward for dessert around 6:30, which, as usual, finished us off. Despite my best attempts to eat in moderation, I'm full to the point of pain, but I was the last one to get into bed-- everyone else was in bed by around 8:45. I have to be up early for work tomorrow, but I'll get a full night's sleep anyway. And the Christmas season has officially started, yay!

Loving hearing all of the Thanksgiving stories... I can't be the only one waiting to hear about the drug addict at mrd's, yes?

Lil. Good thing you had a ham. Well, it's a good story now and you have photographic evidence.

+ Reply to Thread