+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I made cranberry sauce, a pumpkin pie, and another pecan pie. Yes, the first pecan pie is gone already and I'm not promising that this one won't be cut into before tomorrow. I am DONE. Brother-in-law just called to say that the turkey is in the brining liquid now. Bring on the in-laws...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3241804;
    myrosiedog - Didn't you ever hear the expression, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere"?

I'd love to be a fly on your wall tomorrow and watch the excitement unfold.

My day seems to be going pretty good. (knock on wood) I've got all the pies baked and cooling, my cranberry salad is about half done, 3 platters of cookies and other goodies covered and hidden and the turkey that was thawing in the fridge since last Saturday sitting in cold water in the sink. I don't know why, but when I checked it this morning, it was still frozen almost solid. Maybe my garage fridge is set too cold. I'm making Herb Roasted Turkey because the bird I have is basted and everyone says not to brine a basted turkey, so that will have to wait for another time.
    my turkey that has also been in the fridge since last Sat. didn't thaw either. I checked it yesterday, so I put it in cold water in the sink yesterday and then back in the fridge and then into the brine today. I'm glad i thought to check it yesterday. Why is it that they say the best way to thaw one is in the fridge for 3-4 days, but what they really mean is a week or more.

You guys would NOT believe the rest of my day. It's 10 and the last cake is in the oven. I have remade the pie, the eggs are boiled and peeled for deviled eggs. Tomorrow I just have to make the stuffing, cook the bird, steam the green beans and heat everything else. Even the table is set.

I have gone back to the dr. with my daughter who is having complications from surgery. While waiting in Walgreens for prescriptions, I raided their fall stuff and got $60 worth of stuff for $14.99 since I never got the fall decorations out as we moved. I found some really pretty ceramics at Walgreens of all places, so it looks festive. Then I went to work for an hour and then hubby and I bought living room furniture so the drug addict will have a place to sit tomorrow (we had planned on buying something this weekend, but also hit another GREAT sale today), and then we went out to eat, and hit Fresh Market and Publix looking for oysters for stuffing and none to be found. I knew I should have gone earlier.
    We are also hanging pictures in the morning as I've been harping about it for weeks now and it will get a bunch of boxes out of the living room. I know tomorrow night I will collapse.

I had 2 beers at dinner and they were the best thing every. I think I drank the first one without stopping.

Whew, what a DAY and thank goodness it's all over and tomorrow will not be that bad at all. And I have a BIG bottle of wine for tomorrow too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I wish it was Thanksgiving up here in the North again. I'm getting hungry reading this thread and wishing I could join all of you!

I just heard someone on a talk show say that they always have yams with marshmallows melted on top. We always put brown sugar on top. I never knew!

Maybe I should get take-out from Chicken Chicken! (Swiss Chalet)
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Miss Kitty, I have room at my table and I'm sure that the dogs would love your kitties. So come on e down.

I grew up eating the yams and marshmellows. I hated it. Now I do brown sugar.
    I'm not sure, but I think the marshmellow thing may be a southern tradition.
    I don't like marshmellows except on s'mores.
    And I was grown before I'd eat sweet potatos and discovered that without marshmellows, they were pretty good.

MRD

After yesterday's cooking marathon, I now feel that that guy in the old Dunkin' Donuts commercial:

"Time to make the turkey".

I just blasted hubby out of bed with Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. He wasn't happy. So I said: "You love that song. You love Arlo".

Not at 7 a.m. on a day he has off.

Oh well. I'm up, I need help in the kitchen. Time to go, he's going to catch me on the computer and be mad, I need to go look busy in the kitchen since I woke him up to help.

That's pretty funny! Good luck with your cooking adventures today. Let me know what you brined your turkey with. Honestly, I have never heard about the brining before and am really interested to try it. I have been forbidden to mess with Christmas, but plan on trying it for Easter.

Those in here and awake. How long will the turkey stay warm and moist? I cooked mine over night - low heat for 8 hours since it was 25 lbs. And now I need to bake the dressing and the green bean casserole for lunch at noon. I don't know if I should do it all now and reheat or wait or what? Can I leave the turkey in the oven and have it off and then turn it back on when I make the other stuff? Thanks in advance.

To the Point

If you keep the turkey covered and don't slice it until just before serving you should find that it's warm enough, especially since it is so large. Keep it in a room that is warm. you really want to avoid reheating the turkey. I realize this is now more than two hours later, but still. Cover it with foil and then with newspaper (a great insulator) and bath towels. They will help hold the heat.

hubby carving the turkey, and moving the sliced turkey from the counter to the breakfast counter - dropped a whole sliced breast into the sink. you know, the one I cleaned the dishes in, and cleaned up when done. but, hit the sink to him is unedible. so. dog gets a real nice Thanksgiving meal also. I'm glad we practiced with the new oven with a breast Tuesday evening. I really was hoping for some leftover sandwich meat.

and, at least he was finally agreeable to stop watching DIrty Jobs while we were eating.

sometimes I just wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3242242;
    That's pretty funny! Good luck with your cooking adventures today. Let me know what you brined your turkey with. Honestly, I have never heard about the brining before and am really interested to try it. I have been forbidden to mess with Christmas, but plan on trying it for Easter.
    Canuck, the Pioneer woman has what seems like a great brining solution/recipe on her site.

+ Reply to Thread