+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

All I've got done is the shopping part.

I was planning on not doing anything special tomorrow for several reasons, but I thought better of declining a
    a friend's invite.

So, instead of getting a turkey and simple trimmings plate in trade for a plate of devilled eggs, I am doing all the cooking and most of the cleanup. Everything but some things I already had on hand is being provided, and I upgraded from 3 kinds of frozen veggies to fresh, and the dressing and gravy will be made from scratch. The from scratch mashed potatoes stayed on the original plan.

The turkey they got originally was fully cooked, so it didn't seem like the best idea to stuff it. So it's staying in the freezer for some other time. I like very simple, traditional dressing made with bread and cooked in the bird. But I'm making an extra baking dish of it and will baste it with some turkey juices and probably add a small can of chicken broth to it.

Since it's just the two of us, we're going to make up extra plates from the leftovers and freeze them. If we need to, we'll use the frozen veggies to complete those plates.

We're having ice cream for dessert which cuts the prep time considerably, and I figure that if I do the devilled eggs today, I can do everything else easily while the turkey is roasting. Can start at 8am and be eating between 2-3, and be out of there without having to suffer through any football. I "clean as I go", so the final cleanup will be the worst (no automatic dishwasher).

I'll miss the pies, but I can do those for any occasion, and they require from scratch whipped cream. Last year I did the whole shebang with even more side dishes, had loads of help with the cleanup but it nearly killed me.

MRD, that chocolate pie disaster will be funny someday (but how horrible!). The eggs getting an extra ride is probably the funniest part now, the rest will probably take more time.

As for the extra guest, maybe they need a "handler" for the day. I guess you're lucky the original guest asked first, and didn't just show up with them in tow...

We bought a ribeye roast, bone in and are going to make a to die for pot roast. We are going to crock pot it all day and have some mashed potatoes, gravy and green bean casserole.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Pot roast is one of my favorites, although I've never done one in a crock pot. I've read about it before, so it's on my list. It's good to know that you can make gravy from it (makes sense).

Some others up-thread mentioned doing things other than roast turkey/chicken. I think it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3241847;
    We bought a ribeye roast, bone in and are going to make a to die for pot roast. We are going to crock pot it all day and have some mashed potatoes, gravy and green bean casserole.
    and JUST where do you live? *Gets out paper and pen, types in Mapquest dot com.........
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I really feel so weird about Thanksgiving this year, as we are going to go to my brother and SIL's for dinner tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I didn't take on Thanksgiving. Even if we had it at my parents' place, I would end up doing most of the cooking and baking at home and transport it over to their house; all my parents had to do was set the table.

All I have to do is make a dip (which is done) and bring a bag of ice.

My husband said how weird it feels too. Of course, he also wanted me to make up a turkey dinner with all the trimmings last Sunday.....so he could have leftovers. He really would rather have Thanksgiving here, then he knows we would have leftovers.

Pretty far was WI gabriel!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Today I cut up 150 lbs of turkey, baked 48 pumpkin pies, cut 35 lbs of ham, prepped 30 #10 cans (industrial size ) of green beans and put away a delivery of 185 cases of stock. We also made 25 gallons of stuffing, cooked 8 lbs of gizzards for the 15 gallons of giblet gravy and made a gallon of pineapple sauce for the ham. We'll do the yams and the 15 gallons of turkey rice soup tomorrow. My two prep cooks had to get today's menu out also. Things went real smooth. We're set for tomorrow.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Damn, Unk! I was just coming in here to post that I finally got my pie in the oven...my ONE pie.

You all make me laugh. Unk you must have some really nice muscles. Food service is hard work, don't let anybody tell you different.

MamaC, that is the best part of Thanksgiving is the leftovers..and a day off from kitchen duty!

Cangetnuf, thanks for posting the pie recipe, it looks yummy and I'll give it a try.

MRD, hope that sidecar does the trick for you, cause I'm pretty sure you deserve at least one.

We've got all our prep done. With an apple pie that Martha would be proud to put in her magazine, it's so purty.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread