+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Must be because of the cheap gas there . . .

Seriously, Unk, sounds yummy! If it weren't such a long drive over the river and through the woods, and over the mountains and through the deserts and across the plains, I'd be there, too!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Me too Unk. I'd even come to Buckeye territory to eat. SAve me a heck of a lot of work today and tomorrow, that's for sure.

Well Mr. Turk goes into the brine today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Let us know how that works out. Due to general family feeling I have been over-ruled and will do my conventional turkey for Christmas, but I am going to try brining for Easter. What brine are you going to use?

MRD

It has lemon slices, the requisite salt and sugar, peppercorns, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. I hope it's good.

Well the cooking has begun and all my sleepy family have walked in the kitchen wondering why I'm dancing around to the Ohio Players Roller Coaster and then singing All My Ex's live in Texas. (my ipod is on shuffle so I feel like I have a split personality this morning. )

BTW, they didn't like being woken up by the Roller Coaster of Love.

The stupid freezer has frozen up the coils, so I have to take a break while my husband uses the hairdryer to thaw out the coils. Nothing is working this week if it's electronic

Sounds like a fun way to wake up and start getting in the holiday mood. I wish my mom was in my kitchen cooking and danceing.

I'm getting excited. I'm going to my mother in laws tonight to cook my sweet potato cobbler, coconut pies, and brownies. We're out of gas so I can't bake at home. It'll be fun to have my MIL to myself for a little bit tonight. Tomorrow it will be a battle between my brother in law and his cousin for everyones attention.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

That does sound like a great deal Unk. You should be packing them in for that price.

CantGetNuf-are you coconut pies like a traditional cream pie? If they are can you share the recipe?

We are having the same problems here with our electronics. no internet on 2 computers, laptop and xbox were fine though. DH finally figured out it was some kind of cable (which we happened to have a spare of)
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Livin4 when I think of cream pie I think of pudding. The ones I make are more like a custard. They are easy and delicious. I have posted the recipe in the recipes only thread. But I'll post it here so you can find it easily.

Easy Buttermilk-Coconut Pies
    5 Eggs
    2 cups Sugar
    1 1/2 cups Flaked Coconut
    3/4 cups Buttermilk
    1/2 cup Melted Margarine
    2 Unbaked 9inch Pie Shells

Beat eggs slightly in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add coconut and buttermilk. Mix well. Stir in margarine. Pour into pie shells. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Ok Nanny stole the coconut pies from me. She's making them and I am trying to come up with something else. A friend in another forum I visit posted this recipe and it sounds yummy.

Pumpkin Cake Rollup

Cake:
    - 1 cup sugar
    - 2/3 cup cooked pumpkin
    - 3/4 cup flour
    - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    - 1 teaspoon baking soda
    - 3 eggs
    - 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Filling:
    - 1 cup powdered sugar
    - 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    - 2 tablespoons butter
    - 8-ounce cream cheese

Cake:
    Combine cake ingredients, except powdered sugar; mix well. Cover a 12" X 15" cookie sheet with waxed paper, and pour cake mix on top. Bake in
    preheated over at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle 1/2 cup powdered sugar onto a towel. Flip cake over onto sugared towel. Remove waxed paper, and roll cake up in towel. Unroll cake when cool.

Filling:
    Mix filling ingredients. Spread evenly onto unrolled cake. Re-roll. Top with powdered sugar. Serve chilled.

If I decide to make this I'm going to change the filling. I will substitute sweetend condensed milk for the powedered sugar.

MRD

Do you know what happens when you drop a freshly baked chocolate chip pie on the hot oven door? I mean, upside down on the oven door? Besides one hell of a mess, the chocolate welds itself to the door and won't come off.

Stupid aluminum pie plate bent in the middle as I was taking it out of the oven and then just kept bending until it was upside down. I could do nothing to stop it. It has slid all the way down the door, onto the floor, onto the heating element. Burnt chocolate stinks too.

So we are down one pie and my darling child who is recovering from surgery yelled at me because its the ONLY dessert she likes. Hubby was coming home so I asked him to bring me butter, eggs and chocolate chips. He did and left the eggs in his truck. He is now driving the eggs around Greenville, SC. My daughter's boyfriend borrowed my car this morning so I have no way to get to the store. I have HAD IT! I'm done.

But the squash casserole is done, the mashed potatos are done, I have 2 cakes done (and one pie in the trash) and the turkey is brining. Do you think noon is too early to start drinking?

And the new vegetable peeler is useless. I broke my other one the other day, bought a new one and it was horrible. I did manage to get 5 pounds of potatos peeled, but it wasn't easy.

I swear next year we are going out.

AND, oh this is RICH. THe guests we are having called and his ex is in town and so his little girl wants to spend the day with mommy. I can't blame her, except that mommy is a bad drug addict. So guess who's coming to dinner. I have decided that instead of the good gold rimmed china I inherited and the gold flatware, we are having everyday dishes and my mismatched everyday flatware. She steals from him constantly, so I'm not willing to have her steal my good stuff. WHy did I say yes?
    I'm also locking up any and all prescriptions we have in the house. My daughter's got pain pills from her surgery, they are all getting hidden.

I just hope they eat and run.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-26-2008 at 01:34 PM.

myrosiedog - Didn't you ever hear the expression, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere"?

I'd love to be a fly on your wall tomorrow and watch the excitement unfold.

My day seems to be going pretty good. (knock on wood) I've got all the pies baked and cooling, my cranberry salad is about half done, 3 platters of cookies and other goodies covered and hidden and the turkey that was thawing in the fridge since last Saturday sitting in cold water in the sink. I don't know why, but when I checked it this morning, it was still frozen almost solid. Maybe my garage fridge is set too cold. I'm making Herb Roasted Turkey because the bird I have is basted and everyone says not to brine a basted turkey, so that will have to wait for another time.

+ Reply to Thread