+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

I find making gravy is hit and miss for me. That's why I use store bought stuff now. Meatloaf........ now that's something I really want for dinner!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3240323;
    I find making gravy is hit and miss for me. That's why I use store bought stuff now. Meatloaf........ now that's something I really want for dinner!
    Well we're having it again tonight so come on over. I made dinner last night and the kids left and went to the movies and my husband didn't feel well so I was the only one that ate. So it's getting trotted out again tonight. Except for the gravy.

Usually I make good tasting gravy, but it isn't always pretty. So I guess with me you either get pretty gravy that tastes bad or ugly gravy that tastes good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

just found out a cool surprise about the oven in my new house - we have a combination convection oven!!! didn't even know that. But then, haven't had much of a chance to really use it since we moved in.

but, from what I hear, Turkey cooks well in a convection oven. I've never used one before - guess I'll go do some research on the net.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3240327;
    Usually I make good tasting gravy, but it isn't always pretty. So I guess with me you either get pretty gravy that tastes bad or ugly gravy that tastes good.
    I'm the gravy man at Thanksgiving. My grandmother taught me how to make gravy about 10 years ago and then I took over for her since she was getting too old for the job. I think I'm an excellent gravy maker, but it takes a long time to get it just right and it's a lot of pressure because, hey, great gravy si the key to a Thanksgiving dinner. A delicious gravy can hide the flaws in the turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes!

My husband is the gravy master at our house, and he gets requests to make it if we are invited out. I think I could do it if I had to, but it wouldn't be as good He adds the weirdest stuff sometimes but it always tastes great.

I cooked my last turkey by convection and it was great, schmoo I did the same as you did. Moved in around the beginning of April but didn't get around to using the convection until September. Wish I had done it sooner. Cookies and muffins are great, and we got home late this weekend and you can cook a roast beef (not poultry) from frozen in about the same time as radiant heat for a thawed meat. You'll love it. Do you have the book for the oven? I found all the instructions, baking times in there were really clear and accurate.
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 11-24-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Convection ovens rock! When I cook off the 16 turkeys at work for Thanksgiving the ones I do in the convection oven are always juicier and get done quicker. ;bnod

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I can't believe it, but I've agreed to make the pie for Thanksgiving. I generally don't really "get" pumpkin pie. It's okay but kind of tastes like baby food or something to me. So now I'm making a sweet potato and pecan pie. I can make pies just fine, but since Gustav I haven't restocked my refrigerator. (Seriously, I've got a jar of jalapeņos, soy sauce, diet Coke, and soy milk in there.) Now I must face the horrible prospect of hitting the grocery store tomorrow to buy cow's milk, eggs, and butter. What was I thinking!?!?

I hope the grocery shopping went well phonegrrl. I'll do just about anything to avoid the crowds right before t-day.

So tomorrow I'm roasting my turkey. We will go ahead and slice it up. Then use the bones to make stock for gravy etc. My brother is coming over to help me. For a 50 year old bachelor, he is a great cook.

We are also prepping:

ice box potato rolls
    pies and cheesecake
    a jello salad (of course!)
    cranberries
    veggie tray and hummus
    and whatever else I can think of to prep.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I cooked two twenty five lb. turkeys today that we use to make turkey rice soup. Our menu at work is:
    Choice of roast turkey with giblet gravy or Virginia baked ham with a pineapple sauce
    cranberry sauce
    mashed potato or candied yams
    dressing
    green beans
    salad
    cup of turkey rice soup
    rolls or biscuits
    beverage
    pumpkin pie
    All for the extremely low price of $8.75
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-25-2008 at 10:17 PM.

That is an extremely low price. Seriously. If it weren't such a long drive

+ Reply to Thread