+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Re: Let's Talk Turkey-Thanksgiving

Another question for the brining experts on here. The turkey I have thawing for Thanksgiving is basted. Now, through my research, I've noticed many recipes that say not to use a pre-basted turkey. The Butterball site says that brining may interfere with the flavor of a basted turkey.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to try brining, but I don't want to waste a whole turkey if the process will ruin the bird.

MRD

Can you put stuffing in a brined bird?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

This is for all of you being overwhelmed by family and cooking this holiday.

I just love Maxine. Didn't work for me though. I've screwed up countless meals over the years and yet they keep trusting me to do most of the cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3239544;
    Another question for the brining experts on here. The turkey I have thawing for Thanksgiving is basted. Now, through my research, I've noticed many recipes that say not to use a pre-basted turkey. The Butterball site says that brining may interfere with the flavor of a basted turkey.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to try brining, but I don't want to waste a whole turkey if the process will ruin the bird.
    Follow manufacturer's suggestions. Don't brine.

MRD-yes I've cooked brined turkey w/ stuffing. But the brine I use is very basic: salt and a little sugar.

NOTE to turkey briners: Your turkey will cook faster. (up to 1/2 hour faster)
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3239702;
    Follow manufacturer's suggestions. Don't brine.

MRD-yes I've cooked brined turkey w/ stuffing. But the brine I use is very basic: salt and a little sugar.

NOTE to turkey briners: Your turkey will cook faster. (up to 1/2 hour faster)
    Thanks livin4reality, I guess I'll roast this one the regular way and try the brining method with a chicken or maybe turkey breast some other time.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

I saw a magazine article that had some taste-great store-bought timesavers and one was for Turkey Gravy. I love the deep fried turkey and we've usually used some stock and flour to make a gravy, but this Heinz' Boston Market Turkey Gravy looks really good, and is reasonably priced. Supposedly it's available in most supermarkets. We'll be trying it.

I came on looking for a sweet potato-marshmallow casserole, because to get recipe/instructions from my aunt is listening to an entire dissertation that takes longer than buying, prepping, cooking and transporting combined. Anyone have a good one? I like it very pedestrian and child-like. Heh.

I heard the call for not-stuffed stuffing, and if no one has posted already, here are the stuffin' muffins I've been making for a few years. Rachel Ray's recipe may have been modified, this is what I can remember. It's very freewheeling, I'm not much for measuring.

1 or 2 onions (Spanish or Red)
    A nice bunch of Celery Sticks
    5 or so yummy apples, (I like Fuji, but will pick up whatever looks good at the farmer's market. I'm an apple ho'...)
    Use buttered toast or stuffing bread crumbs (I love the ones made by Arnold's myself)
    Chicken Stock
    Bay or Poultry Seasoning, Salt and Pepper to taste.

Start with the onions in a deep skillet with a little EVOO, salt and pepper, add diced celery in a timely fasion (I like it really crunchy, and the apples too, so I tend to do this after the onions are nice and sweet already). Add nicely chopped apples. Let cook for a few minutes while you grease your muffin tins and preheat the oven. Add your bread/stuffing cubes, season well and pour chicken stock over the whole business until everything is moist and coated. Cook a bit longer (I'm so scientific! I actually DO love to bake, but this is cooking, and I free-wheel cooking) and then spoon (rustic-ly) into the muffin molds... I don't use papers, but I guess you can if you like. If you're doing this before serving, pop in the oven for about ten minutes so they form and get a little crispy crunchy, and voila. These transport the hour-and-a-half to my sister's house and come out fabulous.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 11-24-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    Could does not mean should

MRD

Boston Market turkey gravy is VERY good. Even Heinz's gravy products are good. I've used them when I don't feel like making gravy.

I usually use the gravy packets that you add water to and simmer for a couple of minutes. They are very good and not that expensive.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

The jar stuff is even easier. Just microwave and VIOLA!!!!!

The packets are good too, but once I discovered the jar stuff was pretty good. I go with that.

I made gravy last night as I made meatloaf. It was beautiful gravy. i mean, no lumps, smooth, brown and just gorgeous. I have never seen such a beautiful gravy. Tasted like poo. I don't know why either. I used the drippings from the meatloaf, flour, beef broth and seasonings.

+ Reply to Thread